Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally saw one of those California digital license plates today... impossible to read unless you're right up on the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Listings
Saw this car pass me today... and saved a couple of images from the TeslaCam.

I knew California had some of these test "digital plates" out in the wild, but I hadn't seen one until today.

I gotta say, the damn plate is impossible to read and cannot be seen at angles. But now I want one haha. Unfortunately they're like $700 and Tesla doesn't sell them :( They're not available from the DMV directly. Lame.

Naturally I added the rectangle to the plate in the second picture. But in the first picture that's how it looks when the car passes you. The plate is completely illegible at any angle other than straight behind the car.

1633738846694.png

1633738897412.png

Aside from being impossible to read when it's dark out...

There is embedded technology that can be used to track down the vehicle (assuming the crooks don't just remove the plate). Like there is GPS in there, and someone could remotely change the tag to read "stolen".

But for most purposes, it's just a super expensive black license plate that looks pretty cool if you're going for a stealth look in California. It costs like $1,000 to just get the plate and another $25 a month for the subscription. Wacky.

1634773761965.png

Reactions: Lucas007
Why not just get a LoJack?

...and when I read the title, I thought you meant the stick on vinyl ones for cars with no front mount. I've not heard of these at all

I'm pretty sure this experimental black plate is just meant to be a super-expensive accessory for a stealth look. I don't think the pragmatic benefit of having your annual registration sticker self-update is worth $1,000 + subscription.