Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally swapped our Taycan for a Model S - I have some questions about the interface...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We already have a '22 Y at home, so not such a Noob, but there are two things I was wondering if we had more information about:

1. If you look at the Owners Guide from the launch of the refresh, there's a reference to a media control "swap" button that the front passenger can press to immediately call over the controls to their side of the screen (see 04:30 in this video:
), is that just not happening? Happened at launch and since removed? Anyone know?

2. Automatic Blind Spot Camera view - in my Y I can move it to one of three locations on the screen...in the S (currently on 2023.2.0.5) it's stuck in one position (center, bottom). I'm assuming it's not moveable (at least not yet?) but please correct me if there is a way to do it I'm just not aware of!

Thanks!!

Reactions: tommybahamaX
4:30 is at the end of the video with nothing displayed. Not quite sure what this media swap control (I didn't watch the whole video). You can swipe the audio display to one side or the other, although I've found it hard to get it to the left side.

BS Camera view is not moveable on the S. Maybe some future software version.

4:30 is at the end of the video with nothing displayed. Not quite sure what this media swap control (I didn't watch the whole video). You can swipe the audio display to one side or the other, although I've found it hard to get it to the left side.

BS Camera view is not moveable on the S. Maybe some future software version.
My bad on the time stamp, it’s around 0:57 seconds

We already have a '22 Y at home, so not such a Noob, but there are two things I was wondering if we had more information about:

1. If you look at the Owners Guide from the launch of the refresh, there's a reference to a media control "swap" button that the front passenger can press to immediately call over the controls to their side of the screen (see 04:30 in this video:
), is that just not happening? Happened at launch and since removed? Anyone know?

2. Automatic Blind Spot Camera view - in my Y I can move it to one of three locations on the screen...in the S (currently on 2023.2.0.5) it's stuck in one position (center, bottom). I'm assuming it's not moveable (at least not yet?) but please correct me if there is a way to do it I'm just not aware of!

Thanks!!
Edit: time stamp is around 0:57 not 04:30

Like vcor said, just drag the media control from the top (use the light-grey thin "collapse bar" control at the top-center of the media panel) down a little then to the left or right. The dual arrow control in that video doesn't exist on my car with the latest software.

Yep, I've had my car for a year, and never seen that left/right control.
Like vcor said, just drag the media control from the top (use the light-grey thin "collapse bar" control at the top-center of the media panel) down a little then to the left or right. The dual arrow control in that video doesn't exist on my car with the latest software.
Works perfectly! Didn't know exactly the secondary trick of left/right after down. Thanks!

Thanks!!
How do you like your new S compared to the Taycan so far?

Much, much better IMO. So the Taycan is a beautiful car, I would argue the most beautiful EV out right now. Its looks verge on the exotic. It’s also extremely well put together and the model S has a few easy to rectify build quality issues (window seals cracking in one spot as an example) - at this point it’s cliche to point out Tesla quality issues, but for a reason. There’s nothing that Tesla Service wouldn’t handle for free and very quickly, and the Taycan had a few small issues too, but nowhere near as many or as obvious. That being sai, it’s the best put together Tesla I’ve ever been in. Definitely feels a lot more premium than a Y/3, as I knew, but to a surprising degree. Aesthetically, the interior is toe to toe with the Taycan, albeit you have a lot of customizability with the Porsche.

The exterior has a few touches that also make it feel more premium than my y - I love the gloss black accents instead of the Y’s matte accents, we got the S in red and the paint job is perfect - no issue and it looks wonderful (I’d say look-wise it’s equivalent to the carmine red paint job on the Porsche, though I’m sure with a paint meter you’d see the difference). Arachnid wheels are gorgeous, etc.

And in terms of usability/experience there’s just no comparing the two - Tesla wins hands down. The mobile app, phone key, one pedal drive, navigation and route planning, quality displays, etc. this is the spaceship…the Porsche was a car. The tech in the Taycan, as in any VE group vehicles, is its Achilles heel. It’s just dumb. Slow. And annoying. Yes it drives incredibly well (it drives like a Porsche), but the day to day, moment to moment, annoyances end up getting to even the most hardcore Porsche fan.

The one thing we’re already missing is the optional rear axle steering - in a car this long (and the S is a bit longer), it’s just a must. It makes maneuvering tight spots so much better and the vehicle just feels more nimble and half its size. Wife also misses the 360 Bird’s Eye view, but quickly getting used to the visualizations and USS for same functionality. Still, would be great to have that top down view in the Tesla.

Overall, we’re saving a ton of money, getting more range, more speed (the LR model S is way faster than our 4S was), and better tech/UX. Not to mention, the supercharger network when we drive long distances. It’s definitely an upgrade and while there are some things we miss, they’re definitely not enough to convince us to switch back to Porsche.

The one outstanding item is the yoke — now that Tesla will begin offering a retrofit starting in March, it’s not a big deal. We’re both still on the fence on whether we will need it…the more we drive, the less of an issue it seems because we’re getting used to the feel and how everything is positioned. We’ll have to see how it feels in a month and then decide. Honestly, it takes longer to get used to the buttons on the wheel, especially turn signals, than the shape of the yoke.

I’ve seen a few Lucids up close, lucky enough to try one out too. Ultimately, the software was still a bit clunky and not as responsive as you’d hope - I’m sure that eventually software updates will optimize it. The two tone interior is definitely subjective, and the comfort was, to me, equal to a Model S refresh. It’s fast, for sure. But ultimately, it’s much more expensive, looks a bit less sporty and more executive than an S, and I’m really uncertain about Lucid’s future. We tried Porsche’s first EV and we’re underwhelmed in many ways as I described, ultimately, we wanted something we already knew we liked, not another experiment. And, most importantly (for us) we were saving a boatload of money by switching to the S, compared to the Taycan. We bought the Taycan new from Porsche (custom order), after tax it was basically $140k. We bought the Tesla “used” (one owner, 300mi on the car…) at $91k. The state tax law means we don’t pay a dime in taxes on it due to the trade value being more than the purchase value. The financials were the final nail in the transition coffin.

Much, much better IMO. So the Taycan is a beautiful car, I would argue the most beautiful EV out right now. Its looks verge on the exotic. It’s also extremely well put together and the model S has a few easy to rectify build quality issues (window seals cracking in one spot as an example) - at this point it’s cliche to point out Tesla quality issues, but for a reason. There’s nothing that Tesla Service wouldn’t handle for free and very quickly, and the Taycan had a few small issues too, but nowhere near as many or as obvious. That being sai, it’s the best put together Tesla I’ve ever been in. Definitely feels a lot more premium than a Y/3, as I knew, but to a surprising degree. Aesthetically, the interior is toe to toe with the Taycan, albeit you have a lot of customizability with the Porsche.

The exterior has a few touches that also make it feel more premium than my y - I love the gloss black accents instead of the Y’s matte accents, we got the S in red and the paint job is perfect - no issue and it looks wonderful (I’d say look-wise it’s equivalent to the carmine red paint job on the Porsche, though I’m sure with a paint meter you’d see the difference). Arachnid wheels are gorgeous, etc.

And in terms of usability/experience there’s just no comparing the two - Tesla wins hands down. The mobile app, phone key, one pedal drive, navigation and route planning, quality displays, etc. this is the spaceship…the Porsche was a car. The tech in the Taycan, as in any VE group vehicles, is its Achilles heel. It’s just dumb. Slow. And annoying. Yes it drives incredibly well (it drives like a Porsche), but the day to day, moment to moment, annoyances end up getting to even the most hardcore Porsche fan.

The one thing we’re already missing is the optional rear axle steering - in a car this long (and the S is a bit longer), it’s just a must. It makes maneuvering tight spots so much better and the vehicle just feels more nimble and half its size. Wife also misses the 360 Bird’s Eye view, but quickly getting used to the visualizations and USS for same functionality. Still, would be great to have that top down view in the Tesla.

Overall, we’re saving a ton of money, getting more range, more speed (the LR model S is way faster than our 4S was), and better tech/UX. Not to mention, the supercharger network when we drive long distances. It’s definitely an upgrade and while there are some things we miss, they’re definitely not enough to convince us to switch back to Porsche.

The one outstanding item is the yoke — now that Tesla will begin offering a retrofit starting in March, it’s not a big deal. We’re both still on the fence on whether we will need it…the more we drive, the less of an issue it seems because we’re getting used to the feel and how everything is positioned. We’ll have to see how it feels in a month and then decide. Honestly, it takes longer to get used to the buttons on the wheel, especially turn signals, than the shape of the yoke.
We switched from a Cayenne Turbo S to a Refresh 2022 MX and love it. But miss the rear steering and bird's eye view too. Mostly in tight parking situations here in SoCal.

There are a lot of different solutions for stitching footage from multiple camera and extrapolating things that are off camera (with know distance from camera, etc) so I don’t think it’s impossible, but not sure they’ll spend time on that vs other features

On bird's eye view, Seems Tesla is now showing an "Almost" bird's eye view automatically. You can see all the cars around (in an animation) in a parking lot with your car in the center. It shows up in the instrument cluster. Might require FSD and/or a 2021+ LR/Plaid. It doesn't appear all the time, so it may be something in progress, but better than nothing. Actually quite nice. I need to play with it more to figure out when it shows.

Reactions: DBV1