Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally swapped out my 21” for 19”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
192BD020-7558-48EA-AA3F-5085DE6FFCA5.jpeg
5 years ago I went from 21 to 20. It is a great option that preserves a low profile look, but improves drivability, efficiency, durability. But you have to go aftermarket as Tesla doesn’t sell 20s.

View attachment 343432 5 years ago I went from 21 to 20. It is a great option that preserves a low profile look, but improves drivability, efficiency, durability. But you have to go aftermarket as Tesla doesn’t sell 20s.

Unless you want to put model x 20” on an s.

Someone posted 20” slipstreams in their s here a while back. I prefer 21” look but they Looked nice - very subtle.

They were the light grey colour. Would love to see 20” model x slipstreams in dark silver on an S.

The old '19's definitely look better to me than the SS's and they were easier to clean. Also - OP: the before/after is brutal. I say you destroy those photos and we all pretend we never saw them.

After having had the grays got 4 years and I found that the surface of them, painted / glazed / pearl coat, whatever it is is the easy cleaning wheel I have ever owned. The new SS 19’s are similarly shaped and the same surface coat so super easy to clean.

As for destroying the photos, I think it’s important for other forum members to see what they are giving up :(o_O:confused:

*update
After 175 miles I am so happy with the new ride comfort, sound & roughness, and even saw 3kWh gain on my same daily routine. That’s pretty huge for me for a 94 mile expressway R/T commute

My wife and daughter took my S to the mall and afternoon lunch..their consensus, cool factor -80% :eek: drive / ride / quiet / smoothness +100% for 19’s over the 21’s.

Game changer switching to 19” tires and slipstream wheels.

Just checked and they used 275wh per mile over 137 mile drive today and forever the same car has been 320-333.

I will never be going back to 21’s on any Model S again.

I do not believe wheel/tire alone could have that impact. Methinks @boonedocks may have been driving a little more chill than usual.

Actually faster than usual which most times has a negative large impact on range. Most of the ride was 85mph which is not conducive to great range. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Consider this - Tesla rep told me when I purchased my first S85D that the 21’s had a 5-10% hit in range. The newer style slipstreams on the Tesla web site say 2-3% gain in efficiency. I do believe it is possible. I use EAP almost all the time so “as chill as EAP can be”

I have the 21" grey on one car and the 19" slipstream silver on another. To me the 21" grey are a lot better looking, but my biggest complaint about that car has always been the road noise.

I have had the P85D with the 19" for a couple of weeks, and it is much quieter and I also noticed that my wh per mile are about 6-8% better than with the 21s, even with me still in the drive my P harder than I should.

As a personal preference, I also think the grey looks much nicer than the silver and thank you Boondocks for posting the photos.

Reactions: boonedocks
I decided to add the photos so you can see what I mean.

The top is my 2015 85D with the 21" grey wheels
The bottom is my 2015 P85D with the 19" silver slipstream

The grey look a ton better to me.View attachment 343940 View attachment 343941
@jmillic I’m not sure those 19’s are the Slipstreams. Look closely at my first pic and then yours. They are a very different shape.

These are the slipstreams on Tesla’s site:

C62D5A81-AAF6-4F12-AE7C-26D9F4C058A0.png

8CCC0D36-1DB7-458C-9C9C-60CA01EA8021.png

The Silver wheels in the second photo are the OEM Tesla 19" Cyclone Wheels
upload_2018-10-14_18-55-19.png

· Size: 19X8.0"
· Offset: +40
· PCD: 5X120
· Center Bore: 64.1mm
· Weight: ~ 29.8 lbs (without tire)
· Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
· Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft