Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally swapped out my 21” for 19”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
21" grey turbines here on my 100D for 1.5 years, no issues. Love the look, and drown out the road noise with my Reus audio cranked :)

I really do love 'em, but I keep watching out for that cracked rim so I can say "well it happened to me". knocking on wood...

21" grey turbines here on my 100D for 1.5 years, no issues. Love the look, and drown out the road noise with my Reus audio cranked :)

I really do love 'em, but I keep watching out for that cracked rim so I can say "well it happened to me". knocking on wood...
Never had a cracked wheel but I did have one bent wheel. Got the front right and back right at the same time. On our way to meet friends for dinner and it was pouring rain and the pot hole was in the middle of a puddle in an area I rarely if ever drive. Tesla rescue truck came and swapped both wheels while we had dinner. Winning for Tesla losing for me with two tires and a new 21" wheel.

Can you please explain more of the “physics” in your statement? I was under the impression that the diameter of the tire was just about the same for 19s and 21s.

Exactly, its not the Diameter, its the width and tread pattern, that causes any reduction in range and drag. The Diameter is the same or so near its not an issue to the point the speedo does not need recalibration.

Well sadly but happily at the same time I have switched from 21” wheels to the new 19” gray slipstreams.

After 2 S’ and 120k+ miles of driving on 21” wheels I finally called it quits. Bumpy noisy rides and 2 blown tires and one bent wheel over the last 4 years and reduced efficiency made me start to look. Saw the gray slipstreams which looked remarkably like mini 21” gray wheels labeled as 3-5% better efficiency (and remembering the 21” wheels have a 3-5% hit in efficiency) I ultimately called and placed my order.

My wife hates the look, I don’t want to agree but the 21” wheels are just beautiful on the S. Here are some before and after pics. After one day of commuting I am already very VERY pleased with the swap out.

Just an FYI for others with 21” wheels even considering.

View attachment 343114 View attachment 343115
Suspension is for sure raised in the upper photo, makes the 21s not look right. The lower photos with the 19s, not so sure where the suspension is.

Anyone tried the
20" T-Sportline TST wheels
Has anyone tried 20" T-Sportline TST wheels staggered with 265-275 wide tire on the back? For sure the car will look much better and handle turns better I wished they make that for the 19 but they said they won't. I wonder what would be the hit in energy ... I like the comfort of the 19 but I would go to 20 for the wider back option with the DWS on.

I've had the gray 21s, then TST 20s, then the 19" gray Slipstreams -- I have no idea why, but I'm happiest with the 19" Slipstreams, and I haven't really had to deal with potholes much out here in the 'burbs! I like how they look a beefier/tougher than the 21' Turbines, less like a bicycle wheel... I know I'm in the minority. The only time I even miss the 21s is looking at the car from far way directly at the side profile -- the oblong body just makes almost every wheel look tiny.