Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally swapped out my 21” for 19”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
Well sadly but happily at the same time I have switched from 21” wheels to the new 19” gray slipstreams.

After 2 S’ and 120k+ miles of driving on 21” wheels I finally called it quits. Bumpy noisy rides and 2 blown tires and one bent wheel over the last 4 years and reduced efficiency made me start to look. Saw the gray slipstreams which looked remarkably like mini 21” gray wheels labeled as 3-5% better efficiency (and remembering the 21” wheels have a 3-5% hit in efficiency) I ultimately called and placed my order.

My wife hates the look, I don’t want to agree but the 21” wheels are just beautiful on the S. Here are some before and after pics. After one day of commuting I am already very VERY pleased with the swap out.

Just an FYI for others with 21” wheels even considering.

3A33FC49-9B13-4916-803A-294EAA1DF93E.jpeg
331C1637-FBFE-4F08-84DE-C3D0391660B1.jpeg

Yep. My S came with the silver 21" Turbines and I loved the look. But I knew right away with the inevitable decaying of Ohio roads I would have to deal with exactly what you're facing. Swapped them for the 20" T-Sportline TST wheels (very similar look to the Turbines) and saw an immediate improvement in comfort, noise, efficiency, and my worry about dodging minor potholes. Plus tires are so much more reasonably priced at this side and come in all-seasons.

Reactions: boonedocks
Hopefully, the look will grow on you. A minority opinion I imagine, but I much prefer the look of the 19" on this car. There is a lot of gap with the 21". For some cars low profile it looks more natural; for some others it looks like they are trying too hard.
Well sadly but happily at the same time I have switched from 21” wheels to the new 19” gray slipstreams.

After 2 S’ and 120k+ miles of driving on 21” wheels I finally called it quits. Bumpy noisy rides and 2 blown tires and one bent wheel over the last 4 years and reduced efficiency made me start to look. Saw the gray slipstreams which looked remarkably like mini 21” gray wheels labeled as 3-5% better efficiency (and remembering the 21” wheels have a 3-5% hit in efficiency) I ultimately called and placed my order.

My wife hates the look, I don’t want to agree but the 21” wheels are just beautiful on the S. Here are some before and after pics. After one day of commuting I am already very VERY pleased with the swap out.

View attachment 343114 View attachment 343115
When I made the switch to 19s I have had an observed 14% reduction in energy requirement. You can't cheat physics; 6-8% difference for each inch in rim size. Never go back.

Yep. My S came with the silver 21" Turbines and I loved the look. But I knew right away with the inevitable decaying of Ohio roads I would have to deal with exactly what you're facing. Swapped them for the 20" T-Sportline TST wheels (very similar look to the Turbines) and saw an immediate improvement in comfort, noise, efficiency, and my worry about dodging minor potholes. Plus tires are so much more reasonably priced at this side and come in all-seasons.

Is there any way you could post or send pics? I am about to pull the trigger on this set up, but I can’t find decent pictures, other than the doctored ones on tsportline’s web site.

N. Virginia roads become terrible in the winter because the temp cycles between freezing and thawing all winter, and I have no interest in replacing tires and wheels.

Is there any way you could post or send pics? I am about to pull the trigger on this set up, but I can’t find decent pictures, other than the doctored ones on tsportline’s web site.

N. Virginia roads become terrible in the winter because the temp cycles between freezing and thawing all winter, and I have no interest in replacing tires and wheels.
Sure thing!

2017-02-11 15.12.32.jpg

Are you driving on the Continental DWS' I used those on my BMW AH7 for over a 100k miles of driving....great tires...(if those the ones LOL)
Those are the ones! I've got around 20k on these so far and they're holding up great.

Well, the two originals I still have are. Blew the other two after about 10k by hitting a monster pothole at 60mph. Glad I only busted the tires and not the rims or anything else on the car. Fun part with an EV is that it's quiet enough even at highway speeds that you can hear the air hissing out of your tires...

Those are the ones! I've got around 20k on these so far and they're holding up great.

Well, the two originals I still have are. Blew the other two after about 10k by hitting a monster pothole at 60mph. Glad I only busted the tires and not the rims or anything else on the car. Fun part with an EV is that it's quiet enough even at highway speeds that you can hear the air hissing out of your tires...

I do indeed remember that sound coming from 2 tires at the same time as well. :(:eek: That and 1 bent wheel later happened about 6 months ago. I was glad it didn't literally break something else on the car...it was such a violent sound. Air Suspension couldn't soften that pothole one bit.

I had the DWS' on my old BMW as well. They were excellent. I switched to them from the run flats that came with the car; I'd lose one to two run flats each winter, @ $400 a piece. Never had damage after switching to the DWS.

So I did some math a month ago and determined that the height of the sidewall for a tire mounted on 20" tesla wheels (tsportline specifically) is the same as the sidewall of the tire on the 19" wheels I had on my BMW. Since I never had a blow out with my BMW, I've decided I can get away with 20" wheels on tesla.

Can you please explain more of the “physics” in your statement? I was under the impression that the diameter of the tire was just about the same for 19s and 21s.
That is correct, but you are moving the center of mass further from the center of rotation with 21s thus it requires more energy to turn at the same rpm. Think about spinning figure skaters, to spin faster they move the center of mass closer to the center of rotation. Spin faster with the same energy.

Having the 21's on my P100D and the 19's on wife's car, I can honestly say I wish I went with the 19's I have blown tire's and cracked wheels but I think I may make the switch, but I'd rather go with the old style 19's which I think look much better than the slipstreams!! The 21's look great on the car but I just "can't" with them.

• Love
Having the 21's on my P100D and the 19's on wife's car, I can honestly say I wish I went with the 19's I have blown tire's and cracked wheels but I think I may make the switch, but I'd rather go with the old style 19's which I think look much better than the slipstreams!! The 21's look great on the car but I just "can't" with them.

I thought that too but with all the miles I drive on my S100D I decided to go the complete other extreme and get the slipstreams for their added efficiency per the website. We shall see if that was real or TeslaTalk.

On a side note the 19” wheels/tires have been SO much quieter and smoother and anecdotally saw a great increase in performance but the weather is a-changing so have to give it some time to know for sure. Honestly 100% satisfied. Keeping those 21”ers tho since Tesla requires the Monroney sticker listed wheels be on the cat if traded in. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Informative
Reactions: P85DBeast

View attachment 343114 View attachment 343115
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do prefer the grey rims over the silver, but 19" versus 21" doesn't make much difference. They both give a different look, but I like both about the same. In my mind the 21s are not worth it in any way shape or form. Just not my style. 20s might be the best of both worlds, but don't really care enough to try it out.

Last edited:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do prefer the grey rims over the silver, but 19" versus 21" doesn't make much difference. They both give a different look, but I like both about the same. In my mind the 21s are not worth it in any way shape or form. Just not my style. 20s might be the best of both worlds, but don't really care enough to try it out.
The size of the wheel is nowhere near as obvious when it's painted dark gray instead of bright silver.