Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally taking delivery soon. TIME TO PREPARE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my order back in May 2020 and finally received a VIN last week (7 seater). I've purposely avoided ordering anything at all because I didn't want that to hype me up too much. Now that I finally have a VIN and should be taking delivery as early as next Monday, it's time to finally buy some "must haves".

Just a primer: I've owned and modified many cars over the years. I've done motor swaps, turbo upgrades, suspension and brake work, built roll bars, roll cages, you name it. I've even painted a car...once... and I'll never do that again. The point is, I'm very comfortable with modifications, and am at the point in my life where I want to do as little to this car as possible. No badges or lights or any of that stuff...JUST the bare essentials.

Priority:
  1. Tint. I plan to drop the car at a tint shop (hopefully) the first week I have it and at least get the front windows tinted. I live in Texas and tint is a must. I've heard doing a UV film on the windshield is a good idea as well. Never done it before. Anyone? What about the roof? Is it a good idea to tint that or at least add UV film? Again...Texas sun is brutal.
  2. PPF. I'm on the fence, but leaning towards just doing a full frontal PPF. I don't want to spend thousands so I'm hoping I can find a good shop that does a solid job. Any tips on what to look for vs what to avoid?
  3. 14-50 adapter. I already have a 50 amp plug in my garage that I use for my homebrew rig, so I'm ready to rock. I ordered the 14-50 adapter 2 nights ago.
  4. Adapters? We do a lot of road tripping and I want to have options to charge. Do y'all recommend the 14-30 adapter or should I go to Lowes and buy a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter and maybe some RV extension cords for charging in a pinch in odd spots?
Interior:
  1. Console wrap. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FZCPNR...olid=1AAGYQ6NTZ3CY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it I've heard mixed reviews on EVWraps, but they seem to be a decent price. This is what I plan to buy unless anyone can convince me to go elsewhere.
  2. Tesmanian 1st and 2nd row mats. I have a 7 seater so the trunk area will be different. I'm going to hold on buying the rear trunk mat and hope that the 2nd row mat fits. I've sat in both a 5 and 7 seater and they look to have the same foot well (the rails are up higher so it doesn't change the foot well).
  3. Screen protector: I've gone back and forth on this, but I think I should get one just to be on the safe side. If I hate it, I can always pull it off and throw it away. I was eyeing this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KNZC63...olid=1AAGYQ6NTZ3CY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it. Does anyone have any feedback or alternate suggestions?
Exterior
  1. Jack pucks. I want to get these right away so I don't have any problems. Are most jack pucks the same? I found these on Amazon for $20: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NSFSPX...olid=1AAGYQ6NTZ3CY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
  2. Front license plate mount. It occured to me yesterday that I would need to buy a mount because I'm not interested in dealing with that stick on mount. To my surprise the two options I saw suggested were $100+. Can anyone guide me here? I'm not looking for anything gold plated...just want a good mount that won't fly off at highway speeds.
  3. Mud flaps. I'll probably by the mudflaps from Tesla when they're back in stock mostly for protection.
  4. Rear door PPF. Depending on what PPF I get from the shop, I might also buy the PPF Tesla sells for the rear doors...when they're back in stock.
So that's where I am right now. Am I missing anything? Any suggestions on other "must haves"?

Reactions: PackMan730
Hey Ryan, I have been following these threads since the beginning of the year when they started offering the 7 seaters and know you are excited, some of your posts crack me up about how anxious you are! I just ordered a MY on Monday and hope to get it late this month or early next month. I already bought a few things and have some input on the the things you mentioned.

For the tint, I highly recommend the windshield. I get the front two windows at 20 to match the back of the car and get either a 50 or 70 on the windshield, it makes a huge difference in keeping the car cool.
I am just going to do PPF on the rear door areas, I have seen enough photos to know that those areas absolutely need it. I am going to spend the weekend putting a couple ceramic (DIY) coats over the whole car instead of PPF. Those PPFs briefly went on sale for $40 and there is a guy on here that was selling some custom ones as well. Also, someone posted a set of four mud flaps on Amazon but there were not reviews for the MY yet. They looked to fit the car better than the ones in the Tesla shop and include all 4...

https://smile.amazon.com/Nansure-Sp...&keywords=model+y+flaps&qid=1612363792&sr=8-2

I already order a usb hub, some cup holder rings and some puddle lights from taptes. I am not doing a whole lot to the car either but the puddle lights look really cool to me and only take a couple minutes to install.

I think I am going to get the wrap from here. Center Console Vinyl Wrap for Model 3 & Y The matrix black one looks pretty good to me.

I am in the same boat as you for the floor mats, think I might wait a few to see if anyone comes out with something, there is a thread on here for seven seater mats that I am following.

I am also on the fence about a screen protector, I have read that the matte ones help with fingerprints but reduce clarity and the HD ones protect but dont help a whole lot with fingerprints, I am interested to see what others have to say.

Which checklist did you decide to use? Congrats on the light at the end of the tunnel!