Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally!!!! Tesla installing BioWeapon Defense Mode for non PUP owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally, Tesla is starting to consider those non-PUP owners that could not justify the price they were asking. I am considering purchasing this filter to show my appreciation to Tesla and to let them know that I am ready to pay a fair price for those options. As @bayx mentioned in another thread, I hope they will consider offering the Self-presenting door as it should be an easy option. I would love to have a better audio but do understand that it requires more labor from the already very busy service centers.

• Love
Reactions: 1375mlm and bayx
I am just not sure on the level of work involved in supporting the heated steering, wipers and back seat heaters. If the wiring is already available, this would probably be feasible but we do need to realize that rewiring an existing car can be challenging and probably more than what the service centers can handle. Also, having to change the wiring could make the price of those options totally unaffordable.

Ordered it. I have been trying to buy this for months. Even during the wildfires when musk tweeted the “help as much as we can”. Got all sorts of excuses why they refused to install the filter itself, including it wouldn’t fit , there was no housing for it and it would burn out the motors and blablabla. I’ll be so disappointed if all they do is install this filter after months of asking for it.

But hey. I am super glad I can get it now and thankful for the option !

Reactions: nomis_nehc
How about a heated steering wheel option?
I’d pay a good amount of money for an OEM retrofit of the power lift gate. It's probably the only item from the Premium Upgrades Package that I wish I had.

And, the performance uncork for the S75 RWD (pre-July 2017). I'm still convinced they could have done it, and still jealous of 75D owners.

But these are just wishes, since neither will actually happen.

Reactions: Bluewish
Finally, Tesla is starting to consider those non-PUP owners that could not justify the price they were asking. I am considering purchasing this filter to show my appreciation to Tesla and to let them know that I am ready to pay a fair price for those options. As @bayx mentioned in another thread, I hope they will consider offering the Self-presenting door as it should be an easy option. I would love to have a better audio but do understand that it requires more labor from the already very busy service centers.

I think it makes sense to offer the filter upgrade, because it has health benefits, especially for those with allergies, and is easy to retrofit, but not so much the rest of the PUP. The original PUP price was way over the top, but you have to respect those who decided to pay for it in the first place. To suddenly offer the whole PUP package as an aftermarket upgrade for a lot less money and split out into individual options would be a bit of an insult to those who paid the full price with the choice of all or nothing! I guess Tesla are still going through a learning curve on this sort of thing.

I did this when the originally offered it for $750. Totally worth it, don't hesitate at $500. My daughter has bad allergies and the benefit we see on high pollen count days when we use Bio mode is dramatic.

I wish I could have the interior LED lighting done as an upgrade. Back when we bought our X I specifically did not want the perforated seats, so avoided the PUP. Now I've got the seats I want, the filter system I want, and just wish I could get the cool LEDs which are installed but dark!

I think it makes sense to offer the filter upgrade, because it has health benefits, especially for those with allergies, and is easy to retrofit, but not so much the rest of the PUP. The original PUP price was way over the top, but you have to respect those who decided to pay for it in the first place. To suddenly offer the whole PUP package as an aftermarket upgrade for a lot less money and split out into individual options would be a bit of an insult to those who paid the full price with the choice of all or nothing! I guess Tesla are still going through a learning curve on this sort of thing.
I understand your frustration but it already happened after Tesla decided to include PUP at 2/3 of the price. From this point of view, we feel the same level of frustration. Also, I doubt very much they will be offering a complete aftermarket PUP and if they do, it will probably be at a higher price due to the additional costs to retrofit cars.

What are you all who added this yourselves going to do? I bought the filter separately about a year ago and installed it myself. I don't have BWD button, which doesn't bother me, but I'm wondering if buying this kind of makes sure Tesla will support the filter and replace it when needed. Last I heard was that this filter doesn't ever need to be replaced? I'm not sure that makes sense to me, but it had seemed to me replacement of cabin filters is part of annual maintenance, but not the HEPA filter.

Except Tesla is known to do these sorts of things. For example, software battery upgrade price reduction. It would've costed more to buy the 70kWh vs 60/70+update. Plus as mentioned before the equivalent of price reduction when PUP became standard. Then what about those who paid $750 for this upgrade before? Let's not forget the Model 3 Performance upgrade package fiasco (equivalent of $5k reduction). It's just that it finally backfired.

It's not like they are giving away PUP for free now are they.

So much for Tesla SC’s telling customers it requires special ductwork - and that Bioweapon won’t work on non PUP cars.

Glad they have done this, and I will be ordering it - not as keen on the lies that Tesla told its customers who asked about the retrofit.