Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally test drove AP1 - question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I originally thought that you had to buy the AP $3000 to get some of the safety features like blind spot detection and lane departure warning and emergency autonomous braking (if someone cuts in front of you, the car automatically brakes) but the rep told me that even if you don't pay $3000 to turn on AP1, you still get those features. The car just won't drive itself.

A few questions

1) With AP turned on and you use the turn signal to change lanes, if the car is going to another lane and there is suddenly another car merging into the lane, will the car automatically move back to the original lane to avoid collision?
2) If you don't have AP, in the above situation, will car automatically move you back into original lane to avoid collision?
3) Lane departure warning. Is this when you are driving and going out of the lane, the car gives you a warning that you are moving past the lines? Does it actually move you back/auto steer itself back into original lane or is it merely a warning light? Do you need to turn on AP for this feature to work?

If you are using AP to switch lanes you should be fully aware of your surroundings. It is not good at seeing objects from behind. If the ultrasonics detect an object it will warn and might try to correct back to the original lane but it's better if the driver takes over.
If AP is not on the same, the car correcting is last resort. You will get a warning.
On lane departure without using blinkers your steering wheel will vibrate. If you are close to a barrier you will also get the collision warning.
I can't say what is active and what is not when the option is not checked

• Informative
Reactions: ThisIsTrue