Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally! The new rear cupholders!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How? We know the range of the current hardware and if it can't see high enough because of its placement, how can software change that?
Why do you say it can't see high enough? I know that it can't see objects up high when a few feet away when doing Summon, but generally sensors fan out at distance. All the reports I read said that the problem was the lack of contrast between the truck and the sky, and limits in the radar imaging, the latter being addressed by software.

What does the front facing camera housing look like?
IMG_20160911_072505.jpg

I feel for people who just took delivery and missed some new thing, even if the new thing is relatively minor like cupholders and USB charging ports.

One of the joys of owning a nearly 4 year old Model S, is that when a new feature comes out, I now only feel joy for the proud new owner that found a feature that was a sort of unannounced "Easter Egg" than sadness that I missed out. In fact, the longer I hold on to this car, the more "new to me" features I will enjoy in the next one, so there is even some joy of anticipation that comes with that.

Congrats on your new Model S, and on your "find".

Thanks for this information! Our May 2015 85D and Nov 2015 P90D have the same camera housing.

The May 2015 car does not have the additional blacked-out area on the passenger side of the housing. I think they added that in summer 2015 as a place to mount a toll road transponder. The glass in that area apparently does does not have the coating that may block transponder signals.

Mine already has that hardware and software. It is referred to as ADWEO. Alert Driver With Eyes Open.

That's nice to say, but we all have momentary lapses of attention while driving, or perhaps a medical issue. The price of an additional camera is cheap to save a life. One of the huge selling points is peace of mind and additional safety, not the ADWEO requirement.

All the reports I read said that the problem was the lack of contrast between the truck and the sky, and limits in the radar imaging, the latter being addressed by software.

From what I've read, the cameras "aren’t sophisticated enough to overcome blindness from bright or low contrast light.

The sun was behind the Tesla, not in front of it, it was later in the day, and it was ideal conditions. It certainly seems like a hardware problem to me. Of course, it can be tweeked but the fact is, relying one one piece of hardware give me no peace of mind, regardless of the software capabilities. ADWEO is a must and that defeats the purpose for me since I can't relax. Others can and that's great. It really comes down your nature and the risk you are willing to accept. Overall, AP1.0 will do much more good than harm. However, for me, as I've said before, I can live with me killing me accidentally, I can't live with AP1.0 accidentally killing me (even though it's really still me killing me for failing to be ADWEO).

It certainly seems like a hardware problem to me.

Musk said today that the new 8.0 software would likely have prevented the Florida crash. The camera contrast issue was the problem with the 7.1 software, but 8.0 makes more effective use of RADAR so that confirmation by the camera is not necessary.

The Electrek article from a couple of weeks ago talked about this.

What is new and exciting is the ability of the updated software to "see" an object in front of the car in front of you (bouncing RADAR signals under the car in front). That way you can start braking BEFORE the car in front swerves to avoid the object.