Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally took delivery today. Couple issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my 18 M3 this afternoon. The hood had slight misalignment on the right, and the whole car outside felt very hard vs waxed.
Delivery rep was very ill informed and constantly assured me Auto pilot would not work until future Software update even though I bought it. He was wrong after like 40 miles it started working.
I was told it was waxed and the hood is within spec and nothing was done.

Couple issues I noticed. My auto pilot stock when you press it all the way down gets stuck. You have to press it again to get it come back up. I don't think this is normal. Is it?

Auto pilot almost crashed into two cars tonight lol. It didn't register the car stopped in front of me after a curve.

A few times I tried to turn AP on and instead cruise came on. This was annoying.

Can't seem to get Auto park to work either. P shows on on screen but nothing else.

This is why so many were worried about non-owners getting their cars. You might want to read the owners manual.

(I’m a non-owner.)
Yeah, I agree, a lot of non-owners think the model 3 should be intuitive. My DW is a perfect example, she never reads an owner's manual on anything. I will patiently hold her hand and walk her through everything. I have the owner's manual memorized and I don't even have an invitation yet! :(

This is why so many were worried about non-owners getting their cars. You might want to read the owners manual.

(I’m a non-owner.)

Being owner may not help. I am an owner and never read the MX owner's manual LOL. I don't think I have ever read any of my cars' owner's manual. :p

Don't know the answer to your AP issues, but for Auto Park, once you see the P on screen, you put the car in reverse and there should be a button on the screen for you to activate auto-park. That's how it works on the MX anyway. The OA showed us everything when we test drived the MX. I think if you are planning to buy the M3, just go and schedule a test drive for MS/MX! You will get a quick course on how to use most of the interfaces and functions.

Being owner may not help. I am an owner and never read the MX owner's manual LOL. I don't think I have ever read any of my cars' owner's manual. :p

Don't know the answer to your AP issues, but for Auto Park, once you see the P on screen, you put the car in reverse and there should be a button on the screen for you to activate auto-park. That's how it works on the MX anyway. The OA showed us everything when we test drived the MX. I think if you are planning to buy the M3, just go and schedule a test drive for MS/MX! You will get a quick course on how to use most of the interfaces and functions.
What? You must've bought an inventory MX. Everyone who ordered and waited for his/her MX delivery must've read the manual (several times over)!

Auto pilot almost crashed into two cars tonight lol. It didn't register the car stopped in front of me after a curve.

Autopilot does not do well with stopped vehicles you still need to pay attention when it is driving. You currently have enhanced Autopilot not Full self driving.

A few times I tried to turn AP on and instead cruise came on. This was annoying.

Two firm taps usually does it, the blue lines need to be there though.

Can't seem to get Auto park to work either. P shows on on screen but nothing else.

Pull up parallel to the front vehicle and stop, then press the P when it says autopark is available.

The auto park is not ready yet. Read your manual. It requires a time period for self learning. I have a model S and it took two weeks before I was able to use it correctly. I would assume the auto pilot is similar. Keep your hand on the wheel until you learn its capabilities and flaws. Yes flaws, It really does require clearly marked unbroken lanes. I find it most effective in the Number 2 lanes of the freeway cause there is no broken line to speak of. the other lanes have exits and on ramps that confuse the AP

What? You must've bought an inventory MX. Everyone who ordered and waited for his/her MX delivery must've read the manual (several times over)!

No I came here, registered, and started reading the posts! ;) Just this week, I was reading the thread on M3 about heated seat but no heated steering wheel yet... so I started looking thru the forum and found that the MX got heated steering wheel. I told my wife about it and we just tested it last night for the very first time since we got the car last year LOL. Heat steering is awesome! It is the first car we got with heated steering... or is it? Since we never read any of the user's manual before.... :p

Don't think any of the manufacturers use a wax on their new cars. They use specialized and customized synthetic polishes that are hand/machine applied as a final finish.

Just prior to delivery, most cars will get a good wash/detail with perhaps a detail spray and cloth.

This is much different than the Carnuba wax that people buy at Pep Boys to gloss up their cars.

Thanks everyone, so I found that my stock for the shifter is defective for sure because it just stays down.

As far as AP I really like, I found that you can just hold the bottom of the wheel too and do not have to have your hands both on the wheel. I did get self park to work and learned how since you have to put it in Reverse when you see the P. It is a fun learning process.

On a more interesting note car now has 115 miles and 140 remaining on battery, I drove it pretty hard last night I was surprised that my friends bmw 430i was way faster then this. I was def quick but wonder if the vibrating steering caused any slow down. Should I just turn that off? I suppose I am better off with long range cause it is hard to drive this thing nice all the time.

Thanks everyone, so I found that my stock for the shifter is defective for sure because it just stays down.

As far as AP I really like, I found that you can just hold the bottom of the wheel too and do not have to have your hands both on the wheel. I did get self park to work and learned how since you have to put it in Reverse when you see the P. It is a fun learning process.

On a more interesting note car now has 115 miles and 140 remaining on battery, I drove it pretty hard last night I was surprised that my friends bmw 430i was way faster then this. I was def quick but wonder if the vibrating steering caused any slow down. Should I just turn that off? I suppose I am better off with long range cause it is hard to drive this thing nice all the time.
best check the manual to find what the vibrating steering means :)

Yeah, I agree, a lot of non-owners think the model 3 should be intuitive. My DW is a perfect example, she never reads an owner's manual on anything. I will patiently hold her hand and walk her through everything. I have the owner's manual memorized and I don't even have an invitation yet! :(

Ditto here but I must say we bought a Dyson vacuum recently and I helped but she did read the fold out, there really wasn't a manual.

sounds normal. If you only have 30% charge left you will probably roughly be as quick as the 430i if not slightly slower. If he has his turbo boosted at low speeds and is in the right gear he will definitely have more torque than you.
Fast driving in town is all about quick bursts in acceleration followed by stepping off the pedal and slowing down again to avoid speeding too much. And a combustion engine will beat an electric motor while it's in the peak power band. Unless you do a race from 0 to 100 you won't play to your strengths.
The only way to beat him would be if you would both break hard and then accelerate all of a sudden or if he is cruising in his overdrive gear and you then floor it while he has to downshift or the auto will shift for him during kickdown. He then has to boost his turbo first and has no chance.

Vibrating steering wheel sounds like you need to learn to drive and stay in the middle of the lane xD.

Last edited:
Took delivery of my 18 M3 this afternoon. The hood had slight misalignment on the right, and the whole car outside felt very hard vs waxed.
Delivery rep was very ill informed and constantly assured me Auto pilot would not work until future Software update even though I bought it. He was wrong after like 40 miles it started working.
Yeah they should know that the autopilot needs a few dozen miles to calibrate before it starts working.

You definitely want to read the manual this time. I’ve seen several review videos where the person says you can charge the 12v battery via the cables in the tow hook port. This is incorrect and is explained on page 15 that it is used to open the hood in the event the 12v is dead. Once the hood is open you then can jump the battery which is located under a panel.

• Informative
Reactions: Need
You definitely want to read the manual this time. I’ve seen several review videos where the person says you can charge the 12v battery via the cables in the tow hook port. This is incorrect and is explained on page 15 that it is used to open the hood in the event the 12v is dead. Once the hood is open you then can jump the battery which is located under a panel.

See? Now I got that info from you on the forum. No need to read the manual LOL. ;) But honestly I have never charged a car battery. But I did watch the video on how to use the 9V battery to open the frunk thru the tow hook port.

Reactions: Pkmmte