Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FINALLY! Way Points Coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am at 36k. Makes sense to me to slow down charging when you batteries have been used for so many miles. I guess I will never know bc I have never been to such a high mileage on any of my cars. I sell them as soon as warranty is over.
WTF?!?!! You think 117k miles is high? High miles are a badge of honor, it shows you know how to properly maintain your vehicle and aren't some simp to the banks by pissing away your money every couple of years. I don't think I've ever sold a car that had less than 100k on it.

And no even for a Tesla that's not even remotely high, when there are cars out there killing it with 250k or more miles.

I hadn't hear of past promises for them. Clearly he made them before. Maybe this time will be different since he was put on the spot and had to commit to it in front of a bunch of people on a live broadcast. I guess, as we all should anyway, I will keep my hopes in check that he comes through.

His response was quite funny to the whole thing as he really seemed to not want to give in to adding them. So apparently it has been an issue before. But, when the entire crowd erupted when he asked the question, it was a near unanimous response that the people want them and he needs to finally give in.

But yes, very reluctant at having to give in. As he does, he paused, then said OK fine, we'll at them, paused again, said "god dammit", paused again, then and said "OK, we'll add way points".

Hope it's true this time!
I couldn't tell from the way he responded if he was joking and they had been in the works, or if this was him relenting. I like the guy's sense of humor...but sometimes can't tell if he's joking or not.

For actual planning - like traveling salesman or long road trip - waypoints in the car are 99% useless to me. That sort of planning is best on a couch with a laptop/tablet in hand.

But, I would find it useful to be able to say "find coffee on route" or "I'm hungry" and it gives me a few options that I can just add without stopping my current navigation.
That, I would find useful.

To me waypoints are essential in an EV because you always need to have enough of a charge to make it to some destination with a little buffer to spare. In a gas car waypoints are nice, but you're typically not concerned about running out of gas because in most cases there will be numerous gas stations along the way.

I doubt the average driver does much planning at all for most journeys, and instead relies on the navigation tools. All modern navigation tools that I'm aware of have waypoints. So the lack of waypoints is a serious omission especially on an EV.

An example usage:
On memorial day weekend I was checking out some properties on the Oregon coast, and I took for granted that I could charge at the Lincoln Supercharger. But, before I got there the navigation said it was really busy so I opted to charge on the way back up. So I entered in my farthest destination to see what buffer I'd have when I got back to where I was (close to the supercharger). The buffer was above my threshold so I skipped the supercharger. It would have been super handy to have entered in the addresses of all the properties I was looking at to keep track of the how much I'd have when I was back at Lincoln city.

Reactions: Cheburashka
People have been asking for this across forums, articles, etc, etc. for years. For one of the best navigation systems on the planet, was baffling that you couldn't enter multiple destinations. Apparently, Elon had a grudge against doing so.

Despite the countless requests, apparently it took just a few people at the Tesla delivery event to change his mind. He announced that the Model S has a new UI and the first question was if it had way points? He pondered for a second. Then asked the small crowd if they all wanted way points. Crowd erupted and he said "Fine, we'll do Way Points.......God dammit", annoyed that he finally has to add them after 9 years. Don't known what his beef is with them, but, happy to see they're finally adding them. When??? who knows. probably an easy add to release in a future update. So hopefully soon.
I want them too but good luck...Elon has two sides to his mouth

For me the benefit would be when making a return trip from home the sat nav would calculate where best to charge allowing for the return trip. Right now the system gets to the first stop with an insufficient charge to get to a Supercharger to make the return, crazy.

For me the benefit would be when making a return trip from home the sat nav would calculate where best to charge allowing for the return trip. Right now the system gets to the first stop with an insufficient charge to get to a Supercharger to make the return, crazy.
Not sure if I'm the only one picturing a tesla software meeting with a bunch of people all agreeing that no one would ever navigate to a location that doesn't have a charger

I'm sure it's coming alongside the control of the auto-dimming mirrors he promised oh... over a year ago now I think?
Like FSD which will drive you while you sleep on the back seat, 691hp "passing speeds power OTA update" promised for P85D's, SDK for 3rd party apps, summon which will find you anywhere on private property promised by Elon at AP1/dual-motor launch, Model S phone as key, seat/mirror position profiles stored in the cloud so you can reuse them in any of your Tesla, synchronized power balancing wall chargers to charge more than one Tesla in the same garage, etc. - all these things are coming, some day, and perhaps not to your car (unless you upgrade).

Newbies who don't speak Elon get their hopes up a lot.

According to a new article on Teslarati today, waypoints are definitely coming - but being Tesla they can't be called waypoints, they will be called "add stops" :)
Here ... Teslarati
Ugh, I was hoping I'd be able to use waypoints to get around navigation planner mistakes when using FSD Beta.

The key to that is being able to save a route, but it doesn't look like this will do that.

Instead this is more narrowly focused at simply allowing a person to add stops which is cool. It will be helpful for when I have multiple stops and then I want to charge.

Reactions: dark cloud
FINALLY, THEY'RE HERE!!!!

Just got V11 and it has waypoints!! For whatever reason, Elon had something against adding them. He apparently promised them previously. I first heard of it at one of the Tesla reveals where he was pressured on it, hence my original post above. 6+ months later, we finally have them. So nice. I've hated having to enter in 10 different destinations all the time, then manually go back to them on my trip. Now, can finally do them all at once and not have to reselect the next destination at each stop. No idea why Elon hates them so much, but glad he finally caved and gave them to use. Such a usable feature!