Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financial Times | The battery-powered Tesla two-seater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
FT.com / Columnists / Test drive - The battery-powered Tesla two-seater

283d9f00-ae2b-11de-87e7-00144feabdc0.jpg

Things that stood out to me:

Using satellite-based communications, every car can be electronically interrogated for faults irrespective of the country in which its owner lives.
Are they really using satellites at this point? Last I heard they were still trying to work out details with the various 3G carriers in Europe. Satellite would certainly solve that problem, though.

... according to Cochrane: “We’re at the beginning of a huge curve. In five years the battery size and weight will be halved and the range doubled.”
Sounds rather optimistic.

Also consider
Sorry, no close rivals
:cool:

Things that stood out to me:

Are they really using satellites at this point? Last I heard they were still trying to work out details with the various 3G carriers in Europe. Satellite would certainly solve that problem, though.

I believe I heard a technician refer to this feature as "GSM" (what a misnomer! :rolleyes: ... at least as far as referring to the function of "remote diagnostics" with a type of communications protocol used in cellular telephone technology ) ... so, yeah, sounds like cell-phone technology to me.

I believe I heard a technician refer to this feature as "GSM" (what a misnomer! :rolleyes: ... at least as far as referring to the function of "remote diagnostics" with a type of communications protocol used in cellular telephone technology ) ... so, yeah, sounds like cell-phone technology to me.

It's labeled GSM on the screen in the car; I don't know what carrier they use in the US but I'd install GSM so that it works everywhere. Serial port to GSM GPRS interfaces are the size of a thumbnail and cost cents these days, well dollars but still; cheap as chips. The carriers offer great plans for large scale deployment of mainly dormant devices.

Oddly, BMW assist in NA is on Verizon Wireless; that's CDMA not GSM so I'm guessing that the service plan is more expensive than the hardware. CDMA is a different mobile technology than GSM; different radios, frequencies and protocols so not a simple change but Qualcomm does do dual protocol chips... Am I going OT here?