Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financially Irresponsible or Worth It?

What am I?

• Irresponsible

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • Ambitious

Votes: 33 23.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got you beat. I was 30. My wife called it an early mid-life crisis.

I take it you changed your status to "banned"?

You should be banned for that! ;)

all AL is better than part AL.

The Model S is not all aluminium:

"High-strength boron steel [that] is used to reinforce the aluminum at critical safety points... [and] the stationary piece of the engine, the stator, is [also] made from both copper and steel."

Saying "all AL is better than part AL" makes no sense to me since things are never black and white, aside from the fact that the Model S is not all aluminium since that would not be good for safety reasons. Clearly, aluminium is not better for strength and safety. It's better for rust and weight but at my age, I'll take safety over rust any day for my Model 3, especially since I can easily keep rust at bay, and it means it will cost me less.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Max*
Hello All... been lurking on the forums and Tesla website for few months now as I inch closer and closer to convincing myself to buy a Model S. So I thought that I could get real advice from real people and whether you think it would be financially irresponsible for me to buy a Tesla. I'll give you my numbers and thought process so please help by giving input of whether or not I actually should purchase it.

All of the above. It's financially irresponsible, ambitious, and worth it. Worth it because I am a kool aid drinker who believes Tesla is saving the world and all of our futures are dependent on their continued success (not just for the cars, but moreso for the battery gigafactories, grid storage products, and solar power advancements). I really believe that, but I'm sure many out there probably think I'm crazy.

I would advise waiting a year though. Make sure the job is stable, and try to save a year worth of payments so you will know what living that way will be like, and also so you have a decent downpayment ready the next year. Model 3 might be a great choice, as you'll be waiting a year for that anyway.

Last edited:
I'm most struck by the open mindedness the OP possesses. Because of that I truly think he'll do fine either way. When I was his age, I would have been too self centered to ask for advice. For him, not only is he open to advice but he's really trying hard integrate what everyone's input. Yes it's somewhat an impossible task but you can sure see his effort. Kudos to you, OP.

One thing I missed is if the OP decides to get a model s, how much of a downpayment he's putting down. To me, that makes a huge difference in terms of risk. If there's a substantial downpayment, the risk involved should be substantially lower. Good luck.

Reactions: ModelX
Then I'd argue that you're leaving some good negotiation tools out of the fight :)

When you get close... you can tell. And that's when they ask, "how are you going to pay" before they move any more.

There's a cost to financing. One way or another.

It depends on the product, the situation, the industry... and maybe locale (but I kind of doubt it). Even culture, I suppose.

I'm not guessing here. I speak from experience on both sides of the equation. I *know* I give better deals when someone's waving paper at me. And I *know* I get better prices when I do the same. I just did. Ipso facto, pudding proofed, etc etc.

I may be a lot younger than you, but I also speak from experience. I pay for most of my cars with cash unless there is something like 1% interest.

Please define LIVING.

Right?! I’m 31 and worked my butt off to buy my Model S. I feel like I’m “living” in the moment and enjoying life more than ever. With all the acceleration, the amazing design of the car, and tech that’s inside it, I don’t get how Model S is being seen as an old man’s car! o_O

Yes, it all comes down to how we each define "living". I don't define living as to how I feel in the moment when accelerating in my car. I define "living" as what happens while we're busy making other plans. At 31, I was busy making plans, working hard, we had our first child, and I was concerned about buying RESP (registered educational savings plan) since the government here gives us $1k for every $5k per year invested, plus anything earned in the plan is tax free provided you can show your kid is going to post-secondary school (or you lose the gov't contributions and are taxed on profits). So I did a self-directed RESP and invested in stocks (not a fast car). Then we had two more kids and I did the same while also using any free money for my own investments -- mostly in rental properties -- and buying an expensive car never even crossed my mind. I wanted my money to grow -- not throw it down the sink.

Now, twenty years later (I'm 51), my two oldest are at University and the shares in Canadian bank stocks, and later in APPL, SIRI, GOOGL and even TSLA are more than paying for their education -- so I don't have to now -- since I did that when they were young. If I bought an expensive car in those days, I sure wouldn't be LIVING like I am now. I don't need to work, I go to my cabin a lot, took the family on a European vacation last summer, I go away with my wife a lot (we head to New Zealand next month) and all because I saved and invested. That's my idea of living. But again, to each their own.

I'm so glad I read this book when it came out in 1989 and I was in my mid 20's.

Last edited:
Yes, it all comes down to how we each define "living". I don't define living as to how I feel in the moment when accelerating in my car. I define "living" as what happens while we're busy making other plans. At 31, I was busy making plans, working hard, we had our first child, and I was concerned about buying RESP (registered educational savings plan) since the government here gives us $1k for every $5k per year invested, plus anything earned in the plan is tax free provided you can show your kid is going to post-secondary school. So I did a self-directed RESP and invested in stocks (not a fast car). Then we had two more kids and I did the same while also using any free money for my own investments -- mostly in rental properties -- and buying an expensive car never even crossed my mind. I wanted my money to grow -- not throw it down the sink.

Now, twenty years later (I'm 51), my two oldest are at University and the shares in Canadian bank stocks, and later in APPL, SIRI, GOOGL and even TSLA are more than paying for their education -- so I don't have to now -- since I did that when they were young. If I bought an expensive car in those days, I sure wouldn't be LIVING like I am now. I don't need to work, I go to my cabin a lot, took the family on a European vacation last summer, I go away with my wife a lot (we head to New Zealand next month) and all because I saved and invested. That's my idea of living. But again, to each their own.

True, but driving a nice and sporty car at 51 is vastly different from someone in their 20's or even in their 30's. Different age experience things differently. For example, I live in one of the most upscale area in town and it's common to see nice exotic cars such as Ferrari, Porche, McLean driving around but one thing they all have in common is that they're usually in their 40's - upper 50's.

I rather be financially sound and splurge on a car that I can enjoy now vs when I'm older. By the time I turned 51, full self driving cars should be on every corner of the street.

True, but driving a nice and sporty car at 51 is vastly different from someone in their 20's or even in their 30's.

Said by someone who has driven a nice and sporty car at 51? I thought 51 was ancient too at your age -- until you get there. Then let's talk.

I got mine at 47 and the only difference between getting it then, as opposed to being in my 20's or 30's, is that I appreciated it so much more because of all the history behind it -- and how I earned it while still building a good nest egg. If you're a wiz kid at 20 and earned it, and are financially secure, go for it. I'm all behind you -- but I'm not speaking to those people. I'm speaking to myself at 20 and 30 -- since that is how I see the OP.

As to it being "vastly different", with respect, I say you don't have the experience to make that statement. Having been 20, 30, 40 and now 51, I can tell you with certainty it's not vastly different. But you need to be 51 to understand. It's like telling a 13 year old girl that Facebook really isn't that great. I could never convince her of that, nor can I convince you. But, as I said, when you're 50 let's talk.

Last edited:
Reactions: mblakele
Yes, it all comes down to how we each define "living". I don't define living as to how I feel in the moment when accelerating in my car. I define "living" as what happens while we're busy making other plans. At 31, I was busy making plans, working hard, we had our first child, and I was concerned about buying RESP (registered educational savings plan) since the government here gives us $1k for every $5k per year invested, plus anything earned in the plan is tax free provided you can show your kid is going to post-secondary school (or you lose the gov't contributions and are taxed on profits). So I did a self-directed RESP and invested in stocks (not a fast car). Then we had two more kids and I did the same while also using any free money for my own investments -- mostly in rental properties -- and buying an expensive car never even crossed my mind. I wanted my money to grow -- not throw it down the sink.

Survivor bias.. You are lucky to have your life follow such a path. Life for most people is unpredictable even if they plan like you do. For example half the population gets divorced costing thousands of $$$. Heck, one of my coworkers just found out he has thyroid cancer.

Also having a nice car when you are in your mid twenties is completely different than having a nice car in your 50s.

True, but driving a nice and sporty car at 51 is vastly different from someone in their 20's or even in their 30's. Different age experience things differently. For example, I live in one of the most upscale area in town and it's common to see nice exotic cars such as Ferrari, Porche, McLean driving around but one thing they all have in common is that they're usually in their 40's - upper 50's.

I rather be financially sound and splurge on a car that I can enjoy now vs when I'm older. By the time I turned 51, full self driving cars should be on every corner of the street.
Oh games, please tell me I was never that arrogant

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck
Survivor bias.. You are lucky to have your life follow such a path. Life for most people is unpredictable even if they plan like you do. For example half the population gets divorced costing thousands of $$$.

I asked my wife what she wanted for her birthday. She said "a divorce" -- I said "please, make it something I can afford!"

All joking aside, you have a lot more control of your life than you think at your age. "It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped." When I read that at your age I took it to heart. Also, rather than looking at yourself as a leaf blowing in the wind with little or no control, look at yourself as the wind -- since really you have control over the vast majority of things in your life. I know at your age it's easy to put that aside and live off juvenile impulses -- and blame an unpredictable life -- or having no luck -- but in my view while luck plays a role we can do a whole lot to make our own luck. It's funny how the fiscally conservative people have the best luck with fiances when those who spend on impulse do not. So unlucky!

I hear a lot of people say to me how lucky I am to be married for 27 years and counting, as if it just happens by luck. A good marriage takes a heck of a lot of work, as do most things worth having in life, but many just give up, some with good reason but not all by a long shot. Quitting is too easy.

Heck, one of my coworkers just found out he has thyroid cancer.

There's something you don't have control over and I just watched it happen to a business acquaintance -- two months from diagnosis he was gone. He's a partner with me in a commercial building we rent. He also taught me a lot about investing. He said to me as he was dying about how glad he was he had financially set everything up for his wife and kids. So if cancer strikes me, there's even more good reason I never bought an expensive vehicle when young since it would kill me (pun intended) to die without knowing my family is financially taken care of. So I look at your co-worker's cancer diagnosis much differently than you. But that perhaps comes with age.

Also having a nice car when you are in your mid twenties is completely different than having a nice car in your 50s.

It's a good thing this thread will be dead and buried when you turn 50 since that comment is exactly what the 13 year old girl would say in reply if I told her Facebook really isn't that great. We get your point, and nothing will change your mind. I don't write this try to convince everyone since we know that won't happen. I'm just glad people like David Chilton were there for me with his book "The Wealthy Barber" and I read it and kept an open mind and followed it, rather than reply like you as if I knew what's best. Anyway, my comments are food for thought, that's all -- it's your life and you have much more control over it than you are willing to acknowledge. Call me lucky -- it makes me chuckle when you say it. But when down and out relatives who blew every dime and opportunity say it to me with envy I don't chuckle -- I realize we can pick our friends and not our family members so I stay quiet since it's not worth wasting my breath -- with you I feel bad that you could end up like them and blame no control and bad luck for your future and truly believe it.

financially speaking your reasoning is flawed....but with that said once i got my first real job I bought a new sports car at your age.....
had fun with the new car for a couple of years then I realized i would never own a home, get married have kids, pay for college, etc.....if I continued to own a car with payments and insurance the size of a mortgage payment.....

go for it ....but i would lease it that way if things change you can get out of it in a couple years

Hello All... been lurking on the forums and Tesla website for few months now as I inch closer and closer to convincing myself to buy a Model S. So I thought that I could get real advice from real people and whether you think it would be financially irresponsible for me to buy a Tesla. I'll give you my numbers and thought process so please help by giving input of whether or not I actually should purchase it.

I'm 21(if age matters) and I make about 40,000 a year as a junior software developer. I plan on buying a new car early this coming year so probably February or March. By then, I predict my salary to also become 5-10k higher but I won't factor that in since it's speculation.

So basically, my reasoning is as follows.

- I make about 3,000 a month.

- I live with family so little to no cost on rent but come from immigrant family who recently tied up their money on new house mortgage so this car will be all on me.

- I typically spend about 500 dollars a month on food since I eat at home quite often. Factoring in other expenses here and there and I easily stay under a total of 1,000 dollars a month on personal expenses.

- I am still not sure of CPO or New but I'm leaning towards CPO since it'd be more affordable and because of the fact that the 7,500 rebate will most likely not apply to me at all.

- I currently commute to work which totals to nearly 80 miles a day and typically 3 hours of drive time. With a tesla though, I'd be able to get a clean air vehicle sticker which would save about 30 minutes each way.

- Insurance would be about 200/300 a month?

So based on this, what do you guys think? Things I should worry about? Hidden Costs? Need more info?

I have fairly good credit since I have cosigned on a new car before.

Thanks in advance to all repliers even if you do believe I am not being logical. And please be honest even if it may not be what I wanna hear! Thanks!!!

I'm from the other side of the water but you may aswell wait for the model 3 it's cheaper longer range and potentially a more safe bet with the tesla network. Also your under 30 like my self and the biggest cause of death is self harm, drugs then car crashs so if u get a tesla u be happy not high and in the safest car lol.

Ps think was a light Hearted response