Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing Application Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I am attempting to fill out a leasing application and I am properly filling out each input. When I submit the application, I receive the following error:

We cannot submit your application. We apologize for the inconvenience.

After it happened, I sent an e-mail to the financing support team. They emailed back immediately and had me go through a few steps, long story short I tried it on multiple computers, multiple browsers, and even my phone. None of that helped - they said I could go into a delivery center but the closest one is three hours from me and they agreed that would be silly.

I contacted my OA and they told me to just wait a few days and try again. I don't feel like this will fix the problem since they both told me the servers are working perfectly meaning it must be a problem with my account.

Has anyone run into this process before? Did you fix it? Any ideas?

Try it from another location, another computer at that location. Could be some filtering occurring in your pipeline. What about your phone (not on your Wi-Fi)?

I tried it on my laptop when I was away from my house on a totally different network, on my laptop on my home network, on my PC on my home network, and on my phone on LTE.. All gave me the error. That's why I'm thinking it must be an account error but who knows..

The person with Tesla Financing told me that it couldn't be one of my inputs generating the error either.

I have to wonder if it's related to your State's efforts to keep Tesla out. Below is from a year old article in Electrek (1/28/19) about Tesla launching efforts to counter direct-sales bans and I noticed that West Virginia is one of those states. I suspect it may still be the case and the reason they can't provide leasing to you. Just my guess though.

"Tesla is taking the opportunity to push some new bills that could allow them to expand their retail and service presence in several states.

Here are 6 new bills that Tesla is pushing this year (hat tip to Pluto on TMC):

From an Automotive News article 3/11/19 where West Virginia is mentioned:

"Several states — including New Jersey, Connecticut, New Mexico, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina and West Virginia — also have introduced legislation this year that would positively impact Tesla and its ability to sell vehicles in each state."

I know there are Superchargers and destination chargers located in West Virginia but according to Tesla's website I'm looking at no Stores or Galleries and no Service Centers. Really believe your State's policies are the reason why they can't process your application. BTW Connecticut who has had staunch lobbyists against direct-sales recently permitted leasing there. Obviously not helpful to you right now. Good luck. Let us know what happens and if this in fact why your application for leasing won't go through.

Last edited:
I have to wonder if it's related to your State's efforts to keep Tesla out. Below is from a year old article in Electrek (1/28/19) about Tesla launching efforts to counter direct-sales bans and I noticed that West Virginia is one of those states. I suspect it may still be the case and the reason they can't provide leasing to you. Just my guess though.

"Tesla is taking the opportunity to push some new bills that could allow them to expand their retail and service presence in several states.

Here are 6 new bills that Tesla is pushing this year (hat tip to Pluto on TMC):

I know there are Superchargers and destination chargers located in West Virginia but according to Tesla's website I'm looking at no Stores or Galleries and no Service Centers. Really believe your State's policies are the reason why they can't process your application. BTW Connecticut who has had staunch lobbyists against direct-sales recently permitted leasing there. Obviously not helpful to you right now. Good luck. Let us know what happens and if this in fact why your application for leasing won't go through.

West Virginia is one of 41 states that does allow Tesla Leasing, as indicated here.

I think they would have also realized that when I was working with the financing team if that were the case.

Here's a more recent article from Electrek (10/12/19) about Tesla's possible plans to open up Tesla Centers.

Tesla to open new 'Tesla Centers' to avoid dealership restrictions, increase deliveries - Electrek

I did notice this company's article, about a home in West Virginia which had installed solar panels and Tesla Powerwall so Tesla Energy Products are being sold in State.

16.06kW Array with Tesla PowerWall in Berkeley County, West Virginia | Mountain View Solar – Berkeley Springs, WV
The Benefits of the Tesla PowerWall | Mountain View Solar – Berkeley Springs, WV

Reactions: JCannonTech
Hey folks. I resubmitted this evening and it worked - I changed the amount of the down payment. I was originally putting in close to a $0 down payment but raised it to right above $2500 and it worked. $2500 is also the minimum listed on the Tesla Leasing page, but I wasn't getting an error when trying to go lower. Could have been the problem and could not have been but in any case, it worked!

Reactions: SMAlset