TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Financing before or after ordering?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Majerus, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Majerus

Majerus Member

I just applied at DCU this morning, however I am curious what most have done regarding their loan. If you did finance prior to ordering did your rates change before delivery?

2. golfski

golfski Member

Most banks only have approvals that last 30 days, so you don't want to apply for the loan officially (i.e. run credit) until you are within your 30 day delivery window. Technically you could probably take the loan out once you have a VIN, but that could be risky if your VIN changes, but not necessarily a bad thing if you want to start paying it down.

I applied for the loan 27 days away from delivery and closed on it yesterday (5 days before delivery). But this means I had to bind my insurance as of that day too. A few days in advance seems like a good thing, I'm not worried about the money or insurance side of anything going into delivery, all paperwork is done I just need to sign a few things for the title/registration and then its all about the car.

3. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

#3 scaesare, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    I ordered then financed. Just made sure to do the latter within the deposit refund window.

4. Majerus

Majerus Member

How close to delivery does the refund period end?

5. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Not sure now, but a year ago when I ordered you had approx 2 weeks after deposit until the car went in to production and you could cancel.

6. David99

David99 Active Member

The 30 day limit makes impossible to finance before ordering. My sales guy told me that if I don't get approved for financing I would be able to cancel my order.

7. Majerus

Majerus Member

Well that is good to know.