TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Financing miscalculation- any accountants out there?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by 1MoreUsername, Sep 28, 2017.

1. 1MoreUsername

1MoreUsername Member

So I'm taking delivery of my car in about 8 hours and I got the Retail Installment Contract about several hours ago to review. No matter how hard I try, I can't figure out how to reconcile my expected loan payment (based on several methods of calculation) with the one in the contract (Wells Fargo).

Here are the numbers I'm working with:

Amount financed: $84,825.00
    Interest rate: 0.99%

Wells Fargo calculates my monthly payment at $1214.45 with the total finance charge over the life of the loan at $2615.40.

When I calculate using the loan template in Excel or multiple other online calculators, I get a monthly payment of $1213.95 with total finance charge over the life of the loan of $2579.22

The difference in the calculations is: $0.50 per month.

$0.50 per month is not a major issue in the grand scheme of things but to satisfy my own curiosity I do wonder how they came up with that number and what that $6/year is going towards.

I'm sure some of you here have some financial background. Anyone with more sleep and more brains want to try to get this through my thick head?

2. Hey_Hey

Hey_Hey Member

#2 Hey_Hey, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    They opened a money market in your name and have you contributing $0.50 per month.

Oh wait......no respectable financial firm would open an account without your consent. Forget that. :D

#EightIsGreat

• Funny x 2
  3. Max*

Max* Banned

You financed for 72 months, right? I get $1,213.95 too.

Seems they financed you for $84,860 instead of $84,825. Was there a $35 application fee?

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  4. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

Ever see the movie "Office Space"? The guys in IT are scheming.

5. cpa

cpa Active Member

Could it be the 360 vs 365 day year that lenders use? I do not have that sophisticated a calculator available to me. But I do know that those five days can make small increases to monthly payments.

6. Navsarin

Navsarin SP100D

Could be a measure of how interest is compounded by one algorithm vs another :) rounding up or down tenths of a cent would do that over long periods of time.

$6...lol. Maybe cut out one Starbucks grande latte and your golden :)

Congrats on your purchase!

7. SSedan

SSedan Member

Is there a $0.50 monthly finance fee?

8. 1MoreUsername

1MoreUsername Member

:) No need to cut out Starbucks- I feel like I'd be tempting fate with white seats :D

But, to clarify, I'm not trying to raise a stink about paying $0.50 more per month. I was just curious as to why the discrepancy was there but for curiosity only.

• Funny x 1