Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing Tesla vehicles in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was in line with what I could probably fetch for my car in a private sale AFTER the tax benefit is applied. With that, the stress of trying to sell my car privately would be saved.

Curious to hear more about the trade. I found it a frustrating process since Tesla initially said they simply take the average of the three most recent auction prices for similar vehicles. After getting a ridiculous low-ball offer (close to half of the lower end of private sales for similar cars), I queried more and got some data. They were offering me $2k less than the lowest auction price for a car with three times the mileage and few of the same options.

I get that they don't run a used car lot, but I ended up just keeping the car and will sell it privately when I have the time. I would have been fine with the low-ball if it actually reflected how they told me the process works. But somewhere along the way, someone is trying to make a few extra bucks.

Curious to hear more about the trade. I found it a frustrating process since Tesla initially said they simply take the average of the three most recent auction prices for similar vehicles. After getting a ridiculous low-ball offer (close to half of the lower end of private sales for similar cars), I queried more and got some data. They were offering me $2k less than the lowest auction price for a car with three times the mileage and few of the same options.

I get that they don't run a used car lot, but I ended up just keeping the car and will sell it privately when I have the time. I would have been fine with the low-ball if it actually reflected how they told me the process works. But somewhere along the way, someone is trying to make a few extra bucks.

What would you like to know in specific? They asked me a bunch of questions in e-mail and asked for pictures of specific angles. I submitted all of the details and they just got back to me with a price. Black Book value is around $8800 on the high end. They offered $7500 which with the tax benefit is just shy of $8500. Unfortunately for me the quote only lasts 30 days so I'll likely have to go through the process again closer to my delivery date.

Tesla seriously low-balls on trade in values. I recently sold my 2013 Model S for more than double what Tesla had offered on trade. Probably could have got more. I had over 10,000 hits on my Auto Trader add the first week it was posted, but was looking for a quick sale to coincide with my new Model X purchase.

Tesla seriously low-balls on trade in values. I recently sold my 2013 Model S for more than double what Tesla had offered on trade. Probably could have got more. I had over 10,000 hits on my Auto Trader add the first week it was posted, but was looking for a quick sale to coincide with my new Model X purchase.

They typically lowball their own brand more than anything else.

Reactions: 03DSG
What would you like to know in specific? They asked me a bunch of questions in e-mail and asked for pictures of specific angles. I submitted all of the details and they just got back to me with a price. Black Book value is around $8800 on the high end. They offered $7500 which with the tax benefit is just shy of $8500. Unfortunately for me the quote only lasts 30 days so I'll likely have to go through the process again closer to my delivery date.

Just wondering if they quoted the same " average of the last three auction prices" story to you or not. In my case, Black Book was close to $18k and they offered me $10k.

They typically lowball their own brand more than anything else.

I think they do this for two reasons. If they take Tesla trades they don’t wholesale them out. They have all the admin internally to sell it used. Plus having a bunch of Tesla trades reselling on the used section of their website cuts into new Tesla sales.

I think they do this for two reasons. If they take Tesla trades they don’t wholesale them out. They have all the admin internally to sell it used. Plus having a bunch of Tesla trades reselling on the used section of their website cuts into new Tesla sales.

I'd imagine they make a rather large margin on their CPO cars. I bet they offered @mknox somewhere in the ballpark of $25-30k for his 2013 S. Which if they had taken in they would refurb and list for around $55-60k.

Reactions: 03DSG