Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing Tesla vehicles in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe Tesla only deals with Scoita and RBC

So that complicated things a bit at pickup. Tesla sent my info to BMO that I provided. BMO approved the loan and the preferred rate. On pickup Tesla didn't know what to do as they usually deal with Scotia and RBC. I had to make a couple of calls to BMO and they sent the money to Tesla who got the original paperwork all messed up and didn't record my bank draft for the additional deposit. A couple of hours later and everything got fixed and I was on the road. If I had to do it again I would of just dealt directly with BMO for financing. Other than that everything went great. No issues with the car.

Ugh, my trade-in offer came in way lower than expected. I will probably have to sell privately after delivery of the Tesla. Does anyone know if Scotia Tesla loans allow for lump sum payments? Can that be done to reduce the monthly payment or does it just reduce the term?

Yes my trade- in came in about 50% lower than the estimate from autotrader. Such a bummer - I would’ve taken 20% lower but not half!

I’m pretty sure the payments stay the same and any lump sums just reduce the outstanding balance (can be made without penalty)

Yes my trade- in came in about 50% lower than the estimate from autotrader. Such a bummer - I would’ve taken 20% lower but not half!

I’m pretty sure the payments stay the same and any lump sums just reduce the outstanding balance (can be made without penalty)

Strange, my recent trade value was awesome - $6,500 more than the price they gave me 12 months ago with half the mileage on it.

Reactions: cdswm3
Mine was awesome also. I thought it was a mistake at first. Made me pull the buy me lever.

Same. Had to immediately go back and double check what the last number was. I think it’s mostly a case that last years’ number was way too low.

I do wonder if Tesla re-sells the trade-ins or just posts them for wholesale buyers to bid? If it’s the latter that would explain variation. If it’s their own internal valuation method I can’t fathom how it works.

Ugh, my trade-in offer came in way lower than expected. I will probably have to sell privately after delivery of the Tesla. Does anyone know if Scotia Tesla loans allow for lump sum payments? Can that be done to reduce the monthly payment or does it just reduce the term?
Yes. Confirming here. Lump sum and payment frequency as well as regular payment increase are all options.
Payment cannot be lowered though. Just term shortens.

Just submitted my Model 3 (SR+ RWD) order and now when I login and click "Manage" the status is listed as "Prepare for delivery." I'm a bit confused since the delivery estimate was 5-9 weeks. I just e-mailed my Tesla rep and gave him the order number. I'm assuming that once he's assigned as the SR it will open up more options at that point.

I'm debating on whether to hold off on submitting the credit application until mid next month. Reason being I just noticed that AmEx and TD reported unusually high balances last week, and although I do pay the statements in full every month I'm worried that it will raise red flags with Scotia and RBC. AmEx utilization is 33% ($5k balance / $15k credit limit) and TD is 68% ($3k balance / $4500 credit limit). This puts my overall utilization at 41% (ouch). Even with the 41% utilization, my credit score is still 796. 15 years of credit history. No late payments or other derogatory entries. $105k/yr salary.

Should I hold off applying for financing until the current billing cycle has posted to TransUnion?

My credit union in BC (Vancity, who I *love*) has a special electric car loan. Prime+1 (3.45% right now) for up to 10y with $0 down! No fees for paying all or part off early.

$799/mo for Model Y LR MSM gemini with trailer hitch. (after deposit, but $0 down-payment)

I can pay it off quite a bit earlier, but at those rates, I'll just put the money I'd use to pay it off into my investments and come out ahead.

Last edited:
My credit union in BC (Vancity, who I *love*) has a special electric car loan. Prime+1 (3.45% right now) for up to 10y with $0 down! No fees for paying all or part off early.

$799/mo for Model Y LR MSM gemini with trailer hitch. (after deposit, but $0 down-payment)

I can pay it off quite a bit earlier, but at those rates, I'll just put the money I'd use to pay it off into my investments and come out ahead.

I guess right now is the time to invest, but the current 96/2.8% loans have no pre-payment penalty as well.

Seems like you would be paying up to $50 per month of extra interest, for a slightly lower payment.

Can you get the 2.8% rate with $0 down (other than the reservation)?

When I went through the financing process back in Feb, that is pretty much how it goes. You receive financing for the entire amount of the car + taxes (minus the deposit). It was a week before the delivery when I asked the DA to put in additional down payment amount that I would bring in on delivery, which reduced my monthly payment amounts.