Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing Tesla vehicles in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you, this was very helpful!

My experience, as of April 1 2021:
Tesla Model Y LR, $20k CAD downpayment, given 2.35% for 72mo from Scotiabank. Just received the finance offer today in my inbox. Expected delivery late May/early June.

Will see if changing/reducing the DP will decrease the rate, but I doubt it, as rates have gone up recently. Still below the advertised 2.49% though.

(Happy) Update!
Same Tesla as above. Ordered April 1. TOOK DELIVERY April 30! My 30-day rate was still locked in, but Scotia had not yet finalized financing on their end, so the Tesla SC re-ran my credentials and I instead got 2.30% for the same term (72mo, 20k down) with BMO instead. That's what my current rate is, now that I have the car.

Likely less relevant since new rates get released every month, and May 1 the cycle would've reset - but adding another datapoint. And hey, I have my car now :)

Reactions: menaknow
(Happy) Update!
Same Tesla as above. Ordered April 1. TOOK DELIVERY April 30! My 30-day rate was still locked in, but Scotia had not yet finalized financing on their end, so the Tesla SC re-ran my credentials and I instead got 2.30% for the same term (72mo, 20k down) with BMO instead. That's what my current rate is, now that I have the car.

Likely less relevant since new rates get released every month, and May 1 the cycle would've reset - but adding another datapoint. And hey, I have my car now :)
Oh wow. Congrats! I wish mine would take as quick as yours. Ordered April 20 and est. delivery is June 8-28.

Factors that impact the rate are:
1) Calendar month you're approved for financing
2) Term/duration of the loan
3) Which bank is providing your loan

Based on what I've observed, I don't think that the downpayment amount or personal credit score impacts the rate.

Here is an overview of how the maximum rates have varied over the last few months:

Code:
          36-72 month term        84-96 month term
Feb 2021:       2.15%                  2.60% 
Mar 2021:       2.00%                  2.45% 
Apr 2021:       2.40%                  2.95% 
May 2021:       2.30%                  2.80%

(Happy) Update!

Congratulations. Mind if I ask which model 3 did you get? If it happened to be a SR+, would you mind check and see what the gross weight of your car is? In another thread, we are trying to find out if it's true that we Canucks are getting the ones with LFP battery. Thanks

Congratulations. Mind if I ask which model 3 did you get? If it happened to be a SR+, would you mind check and see what the gross weight of your car is? In another thread, we are trying to find out if it's true that we Canucks are getting the ones with LFP battery. Thanks
LFP batteries will not be in the Model 3... At least not for now. Next model to have LFP will be the new Model S and Model X this fall.

2.8% seems to be what everyone is getting for 96 months this month. Does anyone know if Tesla will run your credit again around time of delivery? Wondering if the rate I got approved for stays or will they give you the new one at the time. Or do you have to ask them for it?

2.8% seems to be what everyone is getting for 96 months this month. Does anyone know if Tesla will run your credit again around time of delivery? Wondering if the rate I got approved for stays or will they give you the new one at the time. Or do you have to ask them for it?
They told me the credit check is good for 90 days and you can just refinance during delivery without a hit.

Not a Model 3 :) See my original comment. Model Y LR, Red + White. Not sure if I have the 82 battery or the 75 - my range is 525km at 100%.

Factors that impact the rate are:
1) Calendar month you're approved for financing
2) Term/duration of the loan
3) Which bank is providing your loan

Based on what I've observed, I don't think that the downpayment amount or personal credit score impacts the rate.

Here is an overview of how the maximum rates have varied over the last few months:

Code:
          36-72 month term        84-96 month term
Feb 2021:       2.15%                  2.60%
Mar 2021:       2.00%                  2.45%
Apr 2021:       2.40%                  2.95%
May 2021:       2.30%                  2.80%

I may be an outlier, but I received 2.30% for 72 months (BMO) on April 4th. Still no sign of the car though, so who knows if the rate will change or not.