TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Financing With Tesla vs local credit union

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by AMIYY4YOU, Apr 7, 2018.

1. AMIYY4YOU

AMIYY4YOU Member

was wondering if anyone knew if there was any benefit to financing with Tesla as opposed to my local credit union. My CU offers 0.25% lower rate so is there any reason or perk of financing through Tesla?

2. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

No perk, go with your CU.

• Informative x 1
  3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Tesla financing is via partnerships with banks, rather than a division id the manufacturer (like long established competitors). So, go for the best deal for you. (I used another Bug Bank than the one that Tela has a partnership with)

4. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

Anyone know the current rates from Tesla?

5. SuperDragon

SuperDragon Member

I saw 3.5% on their website. Most credit unions have lower rates, i got my loan at a local CU for 1.99%

6. AMIYY4YOU

AMIYY4YOU Member

Wow nice! What was the term? If that rate is for 60 months that would be amazing

7. RayK

RayK Active Member

Don't know why TechCU has a separate section (and drop down selection on their application) for Teslas, but a quick look at their ads say rates "as low as" 2.49%. Apparently that's for a maximum of 3 years.

• Helpful x 1
  8. Henry82

Henry82 Member

Vons CU (Home - Vons Credit Union) is currently offering 1.49% for 36 months and 1.99% for 48-60 months. I saw in another thread where someone else was getting <1%... I couldn't find anything that low in my area.

9. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

Zero - go with whoever gives you the lowest rate.

10. SuperDragon

SuperDragon Member

Yes, 60 months

11. amoney805

amoney805 Member

Whoever you go with, lightstream will beat it by .10%

12. AMIYY4YOU

AMIYY4YOU Member

Do you know how that works? Do I have to submit an application for their loan first , they pull my credit, and then they tell me if i'm eligible or not? If that's the case, I'm not interested. I've dealt with another local bank that had the same deal but they weren't able to honor the rate beat for whatever reason and still tried to get me to borrow from them lol. :-/

• Like x 1
  13. TallGuy3

TallGuy3 Member

If anyone is looking for financing, try BCU. I just got 2.24% for 60 months. I called them since through my work and even though I wasn’t a member previously and they are in Illinois, I sent them the Tesla paperwork yesterday and I received the check today. Message me directly if you want their contact info—I get nothing out of it but they were so easy and fast they deserve a look.

14. lemketron

lemketron Member

I created a google docs spreadsheet that shows many credit unions and rates as of 5/2, along with links to current rates and eligibility info... you can find it here: bit.ly/TeslaFinancing

If you're in Santa Clara County, check out StarOne as that's where I got my loan last week before picking up my Model 3. I got 2.49% for 84 months and could have financed up to 110% of the purchase price. Approval came in 20 minutes despite having to sign up as a new member.