Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Find out how much it costs to charge your Tesla in the UK, take 5!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveW

May 21, 2019
Beds, UK
Lucky (sort of) that I don't have any hair, else I think I'd have pulled it out trying to get this to work.

Really wanted to get this live on my website, rather than rely on Google Sheets, *finally* got it all working, but it doesn't work well on mobile devices :oops: (because of trying to display everything in a HTML table - otherwise I'm limited to 4 rows).

Hopefully it's still as simple to use, I'll keep both this and the Google Sheets versions maintained and updated every month.

Tesla Cost to charge calculator - TeslaEV.co.uk

Now, for a well earned glass / bottle of wine :)

Let me know what you think

Missed the edit window...

Also added the new 2021 Model 3's in due to extra range and larger batteries on LR and Performance models. Had to guesstimate the range based on existing cars and uplifts in EPA range (5,6 and 5% for SR+, LR and P).

Really good. Yes, it works on mobile now as it didn't yesterday when I tried it.

I like the way the charge cost calculates when it crosses into the peak rate.

Would really like user define rates and hours, so I can compare other options. I really like the ability to calculate total cost, including home, as ultimately that's what matters. Maybe other non EV deals could end up better, i managed to change which one was overall cheapest by varying the amount of charge and home usage.

Reactions: DaveW
Might want to add some cheap standard tarrifs for comparison. There's a few which are under 12p
Also the standing daily charges which can add up, especially during lockdown when a lot of people won't be driving as much

Good work and very interesting. But did you know that tariffs changed depending on where you are in the country? For example in Edinburgh you'll be paying 14.19p for Octopus Go and in Heathrow only 13.8p. It's why they always ask for your postcode before giving you a quote.

Reactions: DaveW and Adopado
Really good. Yes, it works on mobile now as it didn't yesterday when I tried it.

I like the way the charge cost calculates when it crosses into the peak rate.

Would really like user define rates and hours, so I can compare other options. I really like the ability to calculate total cost, including home, as ultimately that's what matters. Maybe other non EV deals could end up better, i managed to change which one was overall cheapest by varying the amount of charge and home usage.

Thanks, glad it works properly now. Getting the calculations working on the web was the hardest bit yesterday, couldn’t face CSS issues last night :)

Excellent, many thanks - especially as you've included Model S and X:D

You should make that a case of wine after all that work!

Always got to include the S & X! :D

The Naked Wines Christmas box arrived the other day, lots to keep me going through the weekends :)

Might want to add some cheap standard tarrifs for comparison. There's a few which are under 12p
Also the standing daily charges which can add up, especially during lockdown when a lot of people won't be driving as much

I’ll look to add someone like Green energy in there.

Standing charge is included in the house usage calcs already, just not in the charging or displayed :)

Good work and very interesting. But did you know that tariffs changed depending on where you are in the country? For example in Edinburgh you'll be paying 14.19p for Octopus Go and in Heathrow only 13.8p. It's why they always ask for your postcode before giving you a quote.

I mention that it’s based on my postcode, hopefully it roughly varies the same across the suppliers to at least give you an idea on which one might work out best :)

Reactions: m3p_uk
I'm having a daft day. Firstly, this looks really good - thank you. But what's the difference between Charge cost and the other two (i.e. what do they mean)

Charge cost
Home usage
Home + Charging

Charge cost is the cost to charge your car
Home usage is how much it would cost per provider for your non car use
Home + Charging is the combined total of those two :)

Now added the highest and lowest price indication (red for highest, green for lowest) for charge cost, home usage and home + charge.

I think the big takeaway I've had from playing around with all these things, it makes a lot more sense to 'top up' rather let the car get low before charging, doing that means staying in the cheap rate for each charge, rather than getting into the day rate.

indeed. one may aim to leave every morning with ard 70% charge, and max out the cheap charging every night.

If you drive more 1 day then the next day you may start with 60-65%; and you still have up to 80/90% to smooth things out on days you drive less.

the other thing I'd like to find out is what devices you may take energy out of the car - on its cheaper rate.

For the next release of this, to try and cover off missing suppliers / your existing I'll add a custom entry field that will show up in the list if you populate it (blank if not).

Anything else that might be useful? Think most of the basics are covered :)

Reactions: Irata
you might want to put in the small print that smart meters are required for certain tariffs and that not everyone can get a SMETS2 meter installed. Our postcode will have to wait until July 2021 at least before the tech has been updated so it doesn't interfere with RAF signals. In the meantime, no access to Go, Agile or Tesla Energy Plan.

Therefore also might be worth adding Octopus E7 tariff which is what we're currently on.

Updated today with the most up to date prices. Also changed the EDF prices from the single rate and the dual rate to GoElectric 35 and 98.

Interesting to note that the EDF one seems to get the most click throughs from this calculator, guessing the all evening and all weekend 9p (in the SG post code) makes a big difference!

Reactions: Cloggie
Can I just ask if this is still working OK for everyone?

Had a few issues since moving to Wordpress 5.6, I *think* it's OK, but got a badly cached page on my local Chrome window (and I really don't want to clear down all my cache/cookies on Chrome at the moment, as I use it for all my work stuff) but works OK in incognito mode