Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Find out how much it costs to charge your Tesla in the UK, take 5!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated again for March: Tesla Cost to charge calculator

Again not much change, British Gas still haven't updated their offer (Jan '22), I think the EDF deal will be static for a bit (as now fixed until May '22), OVO had a slight increase on the standing charge, but not a big change this time round.

I'll keep an eye on British Gas and see what, if anything they do update - I'll update the thread again if anything does change.

Reactions: CMc1 and Roy W.
Is there a UK public network version that anyone is aware of? Or a general comparison of prices across the networks?

granted some vary slightly by location

I probably could do a slightly more basic version of this without the time to charge element (no idea how to work that out with peak charging rates etc..) - not sure when I'll have time though, it's a fair bit more time consuming than it probably seems due to how I've had to make the calc work (not being a developer etc..)

Updated for May's prices;

Only update this month was to Bulb, who's prices have gone up a fair bit - hopefully this will be addressed when they finally launch their EV tariff which will make them more competitive.

Didn't think I'd be updating this so soon.. sadly the Octopus Go and Go Faster prices have increased from today.

Price band changes are as follows:

A, it has gone from 14.1225 to 15.96
B: it has gone from 13.4505 to 15.33
C, it has gone from 14.7105 to 15.897.
D: it has gone from 14.6265 to 16.674
E: it has gone from 13.7235 to 15.645
F 12.9255 to 14.994
G 13.965 to 15.03
H 13.797 to 15.5925
J 14.3955 to 16.2645
K 14.0175 to 15.9075
L 14.2905 to 16.2645
M 13.314 to 15.183
N 14.1855 to 16.0335
P 14.4585 to 16.9155

The calc now uses 15.96, as that's the rate I'll be on when mine needs renewing.

3 times in a month!

Updated the calc to use the Bulb EV tariff now (thanks to a thread on here linking to it!), price again for my area (east of England), but the link to click through to Bulb takes you to the EV tariff page which details out the cost per kWh in your area. Hope that makes this calc more useful / a better comparison.

I know you can do it by fiddling the numbers you input, it is there a way you could add an option to only charge at cheap rate?

eg if I put 20-90% on my SR+ it needs 5.18 hours to charge so it’ll calculate 4 hours at octopus for 5p, and 1.18 hrs at full price (15p ish) so EDF with 5 hours of cheap rate wins out for the car part.

this is useful and when I go on a trip I might need to top up using peak. But day to day I’ll only charge 4 hours (my charger timer by default limits to that). Would be good to have a way to reflect that somehow?

I know you can do it by fiddling the numbers you input, it is there a way you could add an option to only charge at cheap rate?

eg if I put 20-90% on my SR+ it needs 5.18 hours to charge so it’ll calculate 4 hours at octopus for 5p, and 1.18 hrs at full price (15p ish) so EDF with 5 hours of cheap rate wins out for the car part.

this is useful and when I go on a trip I might need to top up using peak. But day to day I’ll only charge 4 hours (my charger timer by default limits to that). Would be good to have a way to reflect that somehow?
Not really sure without some faff (it was enough of a headache to make it work in the first place :D) I can do that tbh

I don't even use charger timers of apps, I just try and top my M3P up from around 60% where I can, keeps it in the cheap rate for me. On the odd occasion like last night, it didn't cost me an awful lot more to do an hours worth in the peak rate

Reactions: Mrklaw
Updated today... sadly to reflect the fairly substantial bump up in Octopus's Go and Go Faster tariff.

The standard rate is jumping up nearly 10p per kWh.

The calc now brings Bulb out on top a lot, but please exercise caution here, as they are one of the suppliers asking for bail out money to avoid folding.

Dave.

Reactions: btc1k
I know the special rate is only for just the car charging but and nothing else, But E.on Next Drive must be the cheapest now? My standard rates are well lower than anything else listed (Except OVO where is it just 1p higher) and charging car is 4p kWh.

I know the special rate is only for just the car charging but and nothing else, But E.on Next Drive must be the cheapest now? My standard rates are well lower than anything else listed (Except OVO where is it just 1p higher) and charging car is 4p kWh.

Thanks @C225 - I'll take a look, but if the rates are just for charging, it might mess my calc up a bit, as it assumes you can use the cheap rate too - Might need another section for 'intelligent' charging rates to cover E.on and Octopus Intelligent and others that turn up.

The calc now brings Bulb out on top a lot, but please exercise caution here, as they are one of the suppliers asking for bail out money to avoid folding.

It should also be noted that their EV tariff is in testing at the moment and not generally available. I got onto it because I'm also one of the people testing the EV features being added to their app.

What that does mean is they've frozen the rates for it at the moment.

Reactions: DaveW
I’m trying to get onto an “EV tariff” but can’t at the minute as my smart meters aren’t talking to my current supplier. Tempted to switch anyway and let the new supplier sort it out. Octopus aren’t the go to for this now since they put their rates up yesterday.

I used to be with Bulb and would go back to them but as above, their EV tariff isn’t generally available and their future is uncertain at this point. So I’m currently considering EDF Go Electric 35.