Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finding a Supercharger in a large parking area at night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On arriving at a Supercharger destination, occasionally it is difficult to find the Superchargers in a large parking lot. This has been particularly noticeable when trying to find the Superchargers at night.
Is there a web site or a phone application that actually describes the location of the chargers in the parking lot?

Reactions: jbcarioca
I find that if you put the NAV in Satellite View and then zoom in I can almost always find the Supercharger fairly easy.
I agree with the "almost always" part. The OP probably does too. I have wandered around several times trying to find a Supercharger at night. Some locations do need better support in mapping and photos.

I offer Port Huron, MI and Woodstock, ON as examples. They both are easy to find once you know, but are distinctly obscure if one does not know the area. At night, as I was at both for the first time, some wandering was in order. Quite a few shopping center locations and some airport ones (Savannah, GA) also are good cases. For laces such as these one needs very clear visual and verbal instructions. The wording in all of these three cases does not really help the stranger very much.

Yeah, it's also hard when they are in a parking garage (like Atlanta Atlantic Station).

Tesla should probably add a short description on the supercharger nav popup - "Located on back side of mall behind Target" or "3rd level of parking garage, east entrance".

Mike
Agree. Maybe like this:
upload_2016-9-15_9-12-39.png

On arriving at a Supercharger destination, occasionally it is difficult to find the Superchargers in a large parking lot. This has been particularly noticeable when trying to find the Superchargers at night.
Is there a web site or a phone application that actually describes the location of the chargers in the parking lot?

Isn't there a giant map to the right of the steering wheel? Forgive me If I've missed something, but aren't SC's on the map?....

Isn't there a giant map to the right of the steering wheel? Forgive me If I've missed something, but aren't SC's on the map?....
They are on one of the maps. However, they do not always give enough detail to actually find the Superchargers. This debate is about those few locations that are in covered areas, behind buildings or even inaccurately described. Even some with actual photos can end out being misleading. Edison, NJ is an example. There is a photo of the Superchargers with a Macy's in the background, but the Macy's in question is actually not now visible from the Superchargers, so one can wander a bit. It is only a small minority of cases, but at night, in inclement weather, some of them are a distinct challenge.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone
While I agree with others that zooming in on the map shows it really well, yes there is a guide. This is a mostly comprehensive guide that users have been keeping updated. If one is not listed, and you go to it, please put in some comments on it, so some detail can be added.
SUPERCHARGER TIPS AND REVIEWS | Tesla Motors

I find that if you put the NAV in Satellite View and then zoom in I can almost always find the Supercharger fairly easy.

This ^, except for...
Yeah, it's also hard when they are in a parking garage (like Atlanta Atlantic Station).

Tesla should probably add a short description on the supercharger nav popup - "Located on back side of mall behind Target" or "3rd level of parking garage, east entrance".

Mike

So when you get this...

They are on one of the maps. However, they do not always give enough detail to actually find the Superchargers. This debate is about those few locations that are in covered areas, behind buildings or even inaccurately described. Even some with actual photos can end out being misleading. Edison, NJ is an example. There is a photo of the Superchargers with a Macy's in the background, but the Macy's in question is actually not now visible from the Superchargers, so one can wander a bit. It is only a small minority of cases, but at night, in inclement weather, some of them are a distinct challenge.

It is all but impossible to find the Atlantic Station Supercharger in Atlanta by using the Tesla navigation by itself without previous knowledge of which floor it is on, and where in the 1+ mile underground level it is.

The Superchargers are in the 4-level underground parking deck. All of this area is ONE parking deck and it extends the whole way (which a "hole" in the center).
AtlanticStation.png

Last edited:
I am currently travelling around Europe in a rented Model S. The hardest Supercharger to find so far was the one near the Paris Orly airport. I arrived at night at a closed hotel gate. The map showed that the Supercharger location was nearby. I rang the bell and the night clerk told me that it was located in the back of the parking lot behind the building and then the gate magically opened.

This ^, except for...

So when you get this...

It is all but impossible to find the Atlantic Station Supercharger in Atlanta by using the Tesla navigation by itself without previous knowledge of which floor it is on, and where in the 1+ mile underground level it is.

The Superchargers are in the 4-level underground parking deck. All of this area is ONE parking deck and it extends the whole way (which a "hole" in the center).
View attachment 194602
This one is rediculous. Two days after getting the X we had to find it at about 3am. Finally found it with a couple miles left on the battery. No restrooms after close but the security folks are nice and will let you use their office if you can find them.

I have to disagree with this, the SpC there is a few hundred feet from that macys and isn't all that hard to find. some of the hardest SpCs to locate are those in parking structures like at savannah, colorado springs, atlanta, bethesda and others. those interior ones cannot be located using the maps.

I have to disagree with this, the SpC there is a few hundred feet from that macys and isn't all that hard to find. some of the hardest SpCs to locate are those in parking structures like at savannah, colorado springs, atlanta, bethesda and others. those interior ones cannot be located using the maps.
During the day, with clear weather, I agree. I was looking at night with rain, and I had never before been to Edison. Most of our examples are no more than a trifling inconvenience unless night and/or bad weather intervene. That said I have helped several people find Savannah myself, and even with instructions it's not automatic to find it. Beyond questions the interior ones are often bewildering even without night or weather issues.

As already stated Plugshare is your friend right now. Generally the description along with the photos give enough landmarks to locate the more obscure locations. The more Superchargers you visit the easier in becomes (maybe a method to the madness?????).

I've been taking pics to upload to Plugshare that show better landmarks for the harder to locate Superchargers we visit. While pics of cars charging is cool and all :) It doesn't help to someone locate where the station is. If the Plugshare pics are doing a poor job of that at a location your using. Take better ones and upload them.

At the Electric Road Trip event I attended. Tesla make it very clear they are aware it's an issue and are looking how best address it.

Maybe they can use the on-board GPS to get close, then use Apple's iBeacon (implementation of Bluetooth Low Energy) technology to help direct the car the last 100 yards? Adding more beacons around the perimeter could expand the coverage area to greater than 100 yards.