TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Finding fast chargers for MS

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by PhilBa, May 29, 2013.

1. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Getting my Model S fairly soon and am looking at planning a road trip. Clearly, I want to find the fastest chargers possible. In the absence of Superchargers (yes, I know coming soon to Centralia, Woodburn and, maybe, Burlington) I am looking at the next best which appears to be J-1772 80A (70A?) chargers. Does the J-1772 adapter allow 70A charging? The charger networks (blink and chargepoint) and the map apps (recargo, plugshare) seem to not have an easy way to tell the difference between 30A and 70A J-1772 stations. Are 70A J-1772 stations just a myth?

This exercise fuels my CHAdeMO adaptor frustration but that discussion belongs in other threads.
  2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Jan 12, 2011
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I own two!

Eaton and Clipper Creek make them. Please let Recargo know that you want to be able to identify them easily in their program!! It is important for all Tesla drivers. Then they will be easier to find.

The adapter works fine at 70 amps.
  3. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Jul 16, 2009
    As long as you are just looking on the West coast, I have a personal map HERE that color-codes Superchargers, HPC/HPWC, and 14-50/J1772 levels.

The J1772 adapter does allow 70A charging. The nearest 70A J1772 to us in in Blaine, WA. The next closest is in Davis, CA. But there are a lot South of Davis; and JackA is working on putting some in North-Central WA.
  4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Nov 10, 2011
    The label on the adapter for the TSL02 charge port says 80A max. Look at yours. :)