Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finding it hard to remain passionate about Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may not, but that doesn't mean it can't be applied to others.

Tesla is far from perfect, but I've never come across any company that can simultaneously receive some of the highest customer satisfaction rates and also numerous rant/whine/complaints the cause of which are often attributed to the CEO.

Bizarre.
It's been stated numerous times now that the level of service one receives depends entirely on the region they're in as different regions offer entirely different levels of customer service. This isn't bizarre and it's not a mystery. Most are away of this simple fact yet many act like it doesn't exist because the one time they had a routine issue that required service they had a perfectly fine transaction. It's luck of the draw on where you live and right now the Midwest is a HUGE wasteland for terrible customer service. It's not just one or two employees either it's the entire location from the top down. The ones who are decent at what they do leave because of the incompetence surrounding them. This is, in and of itself, a sign of piss poor management if they can't even deliver a uniform experience across all of their service centers.

It's been stated numerous times now that the level of service one receives depends entirely on the region they're in as different regions offer entirely different levels of customer service. This isn't bizarre and it's not a mystery. Most are away of this simple fact yet many act like it doesn't exist because the one time they had a routine issue that required service they had a perfectly fine transaction. It's luck of the draw on where you live and right now the Midwest is a HUGE wasteland for terrible customer service. It's not just one or two employees either it's the entire location from the top down. The ones who are decent at what they do leave because of the incompetence surrounding them. This is, in and of itself, a sign of piss poor management if they can't even deliver a uniform experience across all of their service centers.

Yes, I understand it's region dependent, but that's not how the complaints are framed. It's "Tesla" has crappy service, "Elon slept with my wife."

That's what's bizarre.

I don't disagree that providing an equal customer service experience across all SCs should be expected and achievable.

Yes, I understand it's region dependent, but that's not how the complaints are framed. It's "Tesla" has crappy service, "Elon slept with my wife."

That's what's bizarre.

I don't disagree that providing an equal customer service experience across all SCs should be expected and achievable.

You can't be serious. If someone has a bad experience, to meet your expectations, you expect them all to take the time to point out the times someone had a good experience at other locations to juxtapose their first-hand experience? That's just silly. I think that's up to the reader to connect those dots and it's not the consumer's responsibility to point out that their experience may not directly mirror that of others.

There's nothing bizarre at all about how people are reporting nightmare issues other than the increased frequency in which it's happening for a company that's sold so few vehicles.

You can't be serious. If someone has a bad experience, to meet your expectations, you expect them all to take the time to point out the times someone had a good experience at other locations to juxtapose their first-hand experience? That's just silly. I think that's up to the reader to connect those dots and it's not the consumer's responsibility to point out that their experience may not directly mirror that of others.

There's nothing bizarre at all about how people are reporting nightmare issues other than the increased frequency in which it's happening for a company that's sold so few vehicles.

Not sure how you got that from my comment.

Not sure how you got that from my comment.
You don't?

That's what's bizarre.

What did you mean to say then?

I think what he’s saying is when someone reports a poor service experience other people join in and collectively blame Tesla as a company rather than the specific service center that provided the poor service.
At least that’s how I understood it.

Got it.
Well, that assumption isn't wrong. Tesla as the company should share the blame when one of their service centers isn't up to par... Especially nowadays when there are more and more service centers providing poor service, it sort of looks like Tesla as a company doesn't care too much about this.

Got it.
Well, that assumption isn't wrong. Tesla as the company should share the blame when one of their service centers isn't up to par... Especially nowadays when there are more and more service centers providing poor service, it sort of looks like Tesla as a company doesn't care too much about this.
Couldn’t agree with you more, these service centers are not independently owned like some traditional dealerships, therefore they should all be able to provide a similar level of service.

Couldn’t agree with you more, these service centers are not independently owned like some traditional dealerships, therefore they should all be able to provide a similar level of service.

Making blanket statements about the company, instead of focusing on the specific SC, doesn't seem like the best way to rectify the poster's issue.

They may not be independently owned, but each are managed by different individuals. I do not know how much autonomy each center has.

Having people simply say, "that's just how it is" does nothing for anyone.

Making blanket statements about the company, instead of focusing on the specific SC, doesn't seem like the best way to rectify the poster's issue.

They may not be independently owned, but each are managed by different individuals. I do not know how much autonomy each center has.

Having people simply say, "that's just how it is" does nothing for anyone.
Actually it does seem like the best way, service centers work off policies created by Tesla HQ. Telling the service managers how displeased you are with their service will get you nowhere because most of the issues are created by Tesla.

Still love the cars, but service (lack of), passive aggressive 1x a day texts, no phone numbers, no resolve for issues, etc.... is 100% the reason when people ask about our cars (and we are on out 5th), I tell people STAY AWAY.

I won't be telling anyone about them, other than stay away, nor spending another penny w/them until Service pulls it's tongue out of the electrical socket.

1. get a phone number
2. staff it with competent humans
3. understand that small things under warranty build brand loyalty.

Actually it does seem like the best way, service centers work off policies created by Tesla HQ. Telling the service managers how displeased you are with their service will get you nowhere because most of the issues are created by Tesla.

Since not all service centers have issues, I find it hard to agree that Tesla's policies are the actual issue. I have no complaints about my closest SC, for instance.

That said, again, having people jump into every negative thread on this forum to dump on Tesla as a whole doesn't seem productive. It simply looks like individuals trying to stir the pot here, not to help out forum members or instigate changes in policy.

Since not all service centers have issues, I find it hard to agree that Tesla's policies are the actual issue. I have no complaints about my closest SC, for instance.

That said, again, having people jump into every negative thread on this forum to dump on Tesla as a whole doesn't seem productive. It simply looks like individuals trying to stir the pot here, not to help out forum members or instigate changes in policy.
I don’t mean to keep disagreeing with you, but I think the more members that jump onto the Tesla service sucks train the more noise we can make and maybe finally reach someone who will tell elon that he’s not doing a good enough job in that department. He’s already spread thin as it is, and maybe a large part of it is he thinks service is fine or he thinks these cars are perfect off the line and don’t need to go back for a fix.
But it’s undeniable that Tesla HQ needs to focus on improving service and that means going back to what worked, actual live people answering the phone and helping customers with their issues.

Making the issue KNOWN is the productivity. Acting like we should just all shut up and say nothing because we read of some other random bloke having a positive experience at some other service center is unrealistic. If the service centers in question have been nightmare factories for years running with no positive change in sight why shouldn't owners be expected to continue to rant until someone who can enact change hears all of the voices? It's not like we can simply escalate through the chain until we can get someone capable of fixing the issue and this is BY DESIGN which is why Tesla is indeed to blame. Tesla is responsible for the map that has delivered the results most of us are experiencing at the point of contact. Tesla is responsible for assuring that this point of contact is not only equipped to handle our issues but personally responsible to handle our issues or they'll find someone who cares. I don't care what the cause, I just want it fixed so I can receive basic customer service. I don't even need a special white glove experience. You see us on here asking for "adequate" and that's asking for too much, huh? Alright. How's your position in TSLA stock producing today?

I don’t mean to keep disagreeing with you, but I think the more members that jump onto the Tesla service sucks train the more noise we can make and maybe finally reach someone who will tell elon that he’s not doing a good enough job in that department. He’s already spread thin as it is, and maybe a large part of it is he thinks service is fine or he thinks these cars are perfect off the line and don’t need to go back for a fix.
But it’s undeniable that Tesla HQ needs to focus on improving service and that means going back to what worked, actual live people answering the phone and helping customers with their issues.

I absolutely agree with you about communication. Trying to streamline it through text and automated service requests is not working, and has actually been an issue for me personally. However, my actual service center experience has always been great.

I don't think Musk believes the vehicles are perfect coming off the line, I think he believes that using the SCs to fix the issues (much like dealerships have a back lot where vehicles are fixed before hitting the lot) is an acceptable way to handle the issues. Unfortunately, and for whatever reason, it does not appear that current SCs are up to the task.

I also think that people with CPOs are having a different experience than those purchasing new, which is also something that needs to be corrected. I think that there are multiple issues that need to be tackled, and it gets lost in the "noise." There are older owners complaining that Tesla doesn't roll out the red carpet like they used to, and new owners that are coming from similar royal treatment of other luxury brands, then there are CPO owners complaining that Tesla treats them like step children (which I agree is happening and needs to change), then there are people who are having to work with individual SCs that are sub-par compared to others, and then there are new owners that are given vehicles that weren't properly prepared before they were handed over.

Those are all legitimate issues, and they require independent considerations, that, IMHO, gets lost in the "noise" that develops in these threads.

Making the issue KNOWN is the productivity. Acting like we should just all shut up and say nothing because we read of some other random bloke having a positive experience at some other service center is unrealistic. If the service centers in question have been nightmare factories for years running with no positive change in sight why shouldn't owners be expected to continue to rant until someone who can enact change hears all of the voices? It's not like we can simply escalate through the chain until we can get someone capable of fixing the issue and this is BY DESIGN which is why Tesla is indeed to blame. Tesla is responsible for the map that has delivered the results most of us are experiencing at the point of contact. Tesla is responsible for assuring that this point of contact is not only equipped to handle our issues but personally responsible to handle our issues or they'll find someone who cares. I don't care what the cause, I just want it fixed so I can receive basic customer service. I don't even need a special white glove experience. You see us on here asking for "adequate" and that's asking for too much, huh? Alright. How's your position in TSLA stock producing today?

Again, I'm not arguing that service doesn't need to be improved, or that people aren't having legitimate difficulty, I'm simply arguing that pointing fingers randomly isn't going to initiate change, and many of the threads devolve into nonsense because there are people contributing that have no interest in actually helping solve the problem. You are welcome to disagree with my opinion.

I don't hold a position in TSLA, I am not affiliated with the company, and I'm not a blinded fanboy. You may continue to misconstrue my words, or fantasize about my motivations, all you want as that is your prerogative.

Reactions: AMPd
Tesla service is in continuous expansion along with the rest of the company. This is going to affect the service experience. At the end of 2018 they were supporting 523,500 cars. At the end of 2019 they were supporting 891,000. That will be around 1.4 million by the end of each year. My point is the manager at the service center you go to has a very good chance they have been their less than a year because they are growing so fast. Every employee in service is splitting their time helping owners, training new employees, hiring new employees. If they focus 80% on helping owners the new cars arriving will overwhelm the existing staff within weeks.

Tesla has the best technology. It will be 10 years before a current automaker produces a 400mile electric car for the cost of a model S today.

yes service sucks sometimes. But they are actually trying to save the planet. You can not achieve that while loosing money. So remember every time you help them make service simpler for them you are supporting saving the planet. And yes I’m saying they get a pass because of their long term goal.

don’t worry their service will be great when production stabilizes at 40,000,000 cars per year.

Tesla service is in continuous expansion along with the rest of the company. This is going to affect the service experience. At the end of 2018 they were supporting 523,500 cars. At the end of 2019 they were supporting 891,000. That will be around 1.4 million by the end of each year. My point is the manager at the service center you go to has a very good chance they have been their less than a year because they are growing so fast. Every employee in service is splitting their time helping owners, training new employees, hiring new employees. If they focus 80% on helping owners the new cars arriving will overwhelm the existing staff within weeks.

Tesla has the best technology. It will be 10 years before a current automaker produces a 400mile electric car for the cost of a model S today.

yes service sucks sometimes. But they are actually trying to save the planet. You can not achieve that while loosing money. So remember every time you help them make service simpler for them you are supporting saving the planet. And yes I’m saying they get a pass because of their long term goal.

don’t worry their service will be great when production stabilizes at 40,000,000 cars per year.
Damn you must be smoking something reaaal good!

Reactions: InternetDude