Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

finding public wifi for updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what would you recommend to those for whom that's impossible? Not buy a Tesla?
I would recommend connecting your 5G phone as a hotspot to the car (This capability was recently added to our cars via previous update). It will be faster than any free wifi spots out there. Never, ever, hook up your personal information to a network without a secured firewall or VPN. Data security breach is real folks.

Last edited:
Most people answering here do not really know what they are talking about it seems. McDonalds wifi connection does not work because it directs you to a website for terms and conditions (I find the same happens to most free wifi location I’ve tried) and that screen step is not supported by Tesla. On top of that I am unable to connect to my cellphone hotspot, I have tried several times and nothing. I have the LTE connectivity, but in order yo download the arcade games (car is brand new, got it 2 days ago) it required me to connect to Wifi. I have run out of ideas 🤷🏽‍♀️
I might have to visit friends who live in houses and where I could use their garage and wifi is seems…Sucks for city dwellers living in Condos with no wifi access in the garage.

McDonalds wifi connection does not work because it directs you to a website for terms and conditions and that screen step is not supported by Tesla.
I would recommend using a portable WiFi hotspot such as
- the $40 GL.iNet GL-SFT1200 (2.4 Ghz and 5.0 Ghz) or
- the $30 GL.iNet GL-AR300 (2.4 Ghz)

I use those when parked, for connecting
- the Tesla display screen's web browser or to download Tesla software updates,
- and also to access remotely my dashcam Blackvue DR900X using the Cloud.

Note: This web page provides explanation of the setting of the hotspot.
Basically, using your own phone, you can access the portable hotspot device to scan and find available WiFi sources.

Last edited:
Most people answering here do not really know what they are talking about it seems. McDonalds wifi connection does not work because it directs you to a website for terms and conditions (I find the same happens to most free wifi location I’ve tried) and that screen step is not supported by Tesla. On top of that I am unable to connect to my cellphone hotspot, I have tried several times and nothing. I have the LTE connectivity, but in order yo download the arcade games (car is brand new, got it 2 days ago) it required me to connect to Wifi. I have run out of ideas 🤷🏽‍♀️
I might have to visit friends who live in houses and where I could use their garage and wifi is seems…Sucks for city dwellers living in Condos with no wifi access in the garage.
That may be true for the initial access but once you've been and connected, many places will not require a second sign-in if auto-join is used. That is the case at my local library and even my ShopRite (although I don't know if I can access wifi at Shoprite from the parking lot).

You can just hotspot your phone to the car and download the update as you drive. Then when you get home you can install the update. Done this plenty of times.
Never use public Wifi to do anything sensitive, without a VPN. Even if Tesla were to install “secure” Wifi, it’s just as trustworthy as the one at Starbucks.
Downloading the update is different than installing it. You can operate the car and interrupt the download without issue. The install process is when your car will be out of commission.
If you don’t have access to Wifi and refuse to hotspot your phone to your car, maybe getting a computer on wheels wasn’t the best choice.

Reactions: nate704
Thank you all! Wifi hotspot from my phone is now working so I have been able to download the games that were still pending download. Hopefully it will work for any updates in the future.
I was under the impression that if one has the premium connectivity, the updates would be sent that way. Hopefully it is something they’ll do in the future.