Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

finding public wifi for updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read about people going to Tesla Service Centers for WiFi to get their updates (those that can't connect at home), but I don't know how that works.......I was just in the parking lot of my nearest service center, and when I had the car scan for available WiFi, it didn't find anything that looked like it came from Tesla, and the car did not connect to anything. I've also tried searching for WiFi at the nearest Sales Center, and the car didn't connect there either. Am I missing something?

In lieu of that, does anyone know of public wifi that will work for downloads (Canada/Ontario/Toronto preferred)? I don't know if it's possible to use data of my cell phone package or not, but that would be my last choice option.

A Google search found a reference that the upgrades vary in size but are often one to several Gb in size.

Another option: drive to a Tesla Service Center (when the center is open)

Supposedly Whole Foods stores have decent WiFi that does not require a login (still not secure.)

I've read about people going to Tesla Service Centers for WiFi to get their updates (those that can't connect at home), but I don't know how that works.......I was just in the parking lot of my nearest service center, and when I had the car scan for available WiFi, it didn't find anything that looked like it came from Tesla, and the car did not connect to anything. I've also tried searching for WiFi at the nearest Sales Center, and the car didn't connect there either. Am I missing something?

In lieu of that, does anyone know of public wifi that will work for downloads (Canada/Ontario/Toronto preferred)? I don't know if it's possible to use data of my cell phone package or not, but that would be my last choice option.
Here in New York State my Model Y updates just fine over a cellular connection, no WiFi needed. This is with the included 1-year premium connectivity. Since I can arrange for it to happen overnight, I don't care if it's a bit slow. Of course, you *do* need a cellular signal.

Reactions: Prairie

Local library? Ours has both a free (unsecure) version as well as a 'secure' version. I can get it from the parking lot.

Reactions: zpaul
Using your cell phone as a WiFi hot spot would be safer than connecting to an unknown WiFi network where your Tesla credentials could be intercepted.
I regret that I have to admit I tried this on a camping trip a few years back. Needless to say the signal wasn't strong enough and/or my phone didn't offer a fast enough connection speed via hotspot. It never fully worked.

Any way you have a friend or relative who's driveway you could occupy and WiFi you could jump on? IIRC there are general software upgrades but also map upgrades. I assume the latter are larger but I could be wrong. I once needed to upgrade my maps (after HW3 install on my M3) and it could only be done over WiFi.

Well, I went to the nearby Service Center, and my car could see the signal, but it was weak and it definitely didn't connect automatically (maybe because it was so weak?). I could see it, but when I hit "connect", it continued to spin until it gave up. I also found using my phone as a hotspot was too slow/too weak in that location (it might be stronger elsewhere, I could try that). Tonight I'll try the local McDonald's and Wendy's......our library has been closed for many months, and I don't expect their wifi to be turned on.

It's hard to believe that an important function like updates can't be handled better for those of us who live in multi-resident buildings and are hundreds of feet from our wifi.

Well, I went to the nearby Service Center, and my car could see the signal, but it was weak and it definitely didn't connect automatically (maybe because it was so weak?). I could see it, but when I hit "connect", it continued to spin until it gave up. I also found using my phone as a hotspot was too slow/too weak in that location (it might be stronger elsewhere, I could try that). Tonight I'll try the local McDonald's and Wendy's......our library has been closed for many months, and I don't expect their wifi to be turned on.

It's hard to believe that an important function like updates can't be handled better for those of us who live in multi-resident buildings and are hundreds of feet from our wifi.
Well considering that you can't use the car while it's updating, I think you'd want the download to be as fast as possible.... So Wifi will do that (assuming a decent signal). And just a thought - my car wasn't connecting to my home Wifi (was just spinning as well). I did a reset (holding both steering wheel buttons down) and it connected right up.

How do you manage to use the Tesla cellular to update the software? It keeps telling me to connect to wifi in order to download.
Here in New York State my Model Y updates just fine over a cellular connection, no WiFi needed. This is with the included 1-year premium connectivity. Since I can arrange for it to happen overnight, I don't care if it's a bit slow. Of course, you *do* need a cellular signal.
age to

How do you manage to download the software using the cellular? It keeps telling me to connect to wifi in order to download the software.

I personally wouldn't update the software anywhere but from my home. I work closely with software engineers all day long and I know how even a small glitch could render something in-op. Seeing how ALL Teslas modules/functions are controlled with software, I wouldn't risk getting stuck after an update.

Reactions: DanDi58
I am currently on vacation 3000 miles from home with my model 3. There's a update pending and I can't get my wifi from my high rise condo. Wouldn't it be nice if Tesla set up secure wifi at Superchargers? They all are networked, so how hard would it be to read your car when you plugged in and hand you a secure wifi connection at the same time?

Reactions: Best_EV