Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finding the Perfect Used MS

CoolGreyKhaki

Oct 6, 2019
Toronto
Hi all! Been wanting Teslas for a while and I've finally decided to go for one. Personally decided to go for a used Model S over a new Model 3. However, I'm having a hard time narrowing down the options and need a bit of help.

• Looking for a facelifted model. Apparently this is 2017 and after although I see one 2016 model on Tesla's used inventory that has the new front end?
  • Want enhanced autopilot. Is this standard on all 2017+ models? I understand that certain features like dashcam and sentry mode are only August 2017 and after?
  • Premium audio. Was this ever standard on Canadian models? Is there a huge difference in sound quality?
  • 75D seems much more common at the moment than 90D. Should I hold out for a 90D model for potentially only a few thousand more?

At the moment, only one 2017 used MS is in Tesla's inventory near me. Currently quite a few 2016s are available. I'm assuming that many more will be available in a few months time when leases start ending? Thanks in advance for any comments.

BPeter

Feb 2, 2019
Minnesota
The facelift happened in early 2016, I believe may. That means there are both nosecone and facelift 2016 cars.

The AP2.0 system came out in November (I think) 2016, so you can get a facelift car with the old AP system or the newer one. You need at least AP2.0 to get Enhanced autopilot (EAP) or Full Self Driving (FSD, whether this is ever going to be capable of actual self driving is another topic). August 2017 is AP2.5, that is the one which can do dashcam and sentry recording.
Enhanced autopilot is not a standard feature on any car, but the hardware (after those build dates) is always there and you can pay for the software unlock.

Another thing to note is MCU2 (the newer car computer) came out in March 2018. That one is much faster than the old one which has become quite slow and lots of new features aren't being released for it, such as Netflix, rear camera dashcam recording (AP2.5 with MCU1 records front and side cameras), games, etc.

CoolGreyKhaki

Oct 6, 2019
Toronto
Thanks for the replies! Looks like deciding on what I want is looking harder than I thought. Searching through ev-cpo, it seems that only 3 units with AP2 and beyond are available in Canada at the moment and none are to my liking. It seems that my options in a few months are:

• Medium mileage 2017 MS with AP2.5 for around $75k CAD
  • 2018/19 MS with AP2.5 and MCU2 for anywhere between $90-100k CAD
  • Brand new MS Long Range with AP3 for up to $120k CAD
Given the huge price differences, are the differences that immense? The likely $20k CAD difference between a used MS without MCU2 and with seems significant for a bit of lag and some additional infotainment features.

Cape Coddess

Working 2 ROTHS - hold and swing
Aug 18, 2019
Cape Cod
Before I found my May 2016 90D I had a list, one being the biggest battery I could afford. Degradation being what it is I already almost have the equivalent of an 85D and someday it will be a 75D. Anyway, it took a couple years of checking the Tesla website before the exact car showed up, right down to the color and facelift. I have AP1 and MCU1. I didn't know that my MCU is slower. But I do know that the web browser is not chrome and is pretty much useless. Also I was bummed that I didn't get YouTube on the latest version 10 update, among many other things. That said, were in your position today, I would hold out for the largest battery, AP2 and MCU2.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
Before I found my May 2016 90D I had a list, one being the biggest battery I could afford. Degradation being what it is I already almost have the equivalent of an 85D and someday it will be a 75D. Anyway, it took a couple years of checking the Tesla website before the exact car showed up, right down to the color and facelift. I have AP1 and MCU1. I didn't know that my MCU is slower. But I do know that the web browser is not chrome and is pretty much useless. Also I was bummed that I didn't get YouTube on the latest version 10 update, among many other things. That said, were in your position today, I would hold out for the largest battery, AP2 and MCU2.
@CoolGreyKhaki I would agree with @Cape Coddess as well. I'm also in the GTA and got a 2016 75D (MCU1, AP1) for $73.6K 3 months ago.

I also deliberately decided to get the 75D simply because I could not afford the $15-$20K additional funds to get a larger battery, AP2.5 and and MCU2.

Now that I've had the car for 3 months, I think I would have waited to get the larger battery, AP2.5 and MCU2 considering how much the cars have dropped in price from Tesla since I bought mine.

Having said that, I'm having a blast with the car and plan to keep it for a while till I can afford a May 2019 LR. If you can spring the extra $, get one with a larger battery, AP2.5 and MCU2, otherwise, just get an older one. Either way you will not regret it. Its the best car I've ever had. I've already driven 10K km in 3 months. Before the Tesla, my mileage was barely 5K km in 3 months.

X.l.r.8

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2018
Toronto/Miami
I did the same, FSD holds no interest to me, no need for games either. On the other hand I wanted a 90D, facelifted model, a long warranty, 72A onboard charger, UHFS, Sub Zero, Pano roof, Smart Air Suspension and Pearl white with Next gen grey, so basically every available extra. One turned up on the radar, I set a price and when it dropped to where I was comfortable I grabbed it. My search engine was nation wide and would have picked up from BC, there were a few in QC but getting information from the dealers was painful and most of the time they had no idea, I got good at spotting what I needed from pictures but every time I asked about things like onboard chargers they were clueless. Add to that they are very overpriced, a fully loaded car from tesla was the same price as the same car with no options from a dealer so I had to vales the free supercharging against the options I wanted, turns out Free Supercharging came quite low down on the list, just above a tow hitch.
I would have liked later firmware and AP2 but the car with the options I wanted simply didn't have them, and I'm okay with that, some would disagree and feel their list of must haves and wants would be in a different order. So thats where I would start, make a list of your MUST haves. you are half way there with a facelift model, 90D and if you are on the fence about UHFS, then you should decide of you want a pano roof or not. The value of the stereo upgrade V's the DIY option is about $2500 for the light harmonics upgrade. I like the sound of the UHFS but it has its limitations, someone said its pretty poor compared to the the Porsche Bose system, specifically the Cayenne one, I'd call that as I have both, and the UHFS is much better than the Porsche, neither is bad and maybe the V8 humming away detracts from the sound but the UHFS is certainly fuller than Porsches and far beyond many standard systems.
Also don't get carried away by the 21 inch wheels I tried them and I hated it, a guy who lives in the building just had a chunk about 2 inches break off his rim from a pothole, he's retired and so its lucky its not a daily driver. I have 19's and its smooth, however I know I will want un upgrade, a used set of model X wheels will turn up and then I will change to appropriate sized tires for the S and have the best of both worlds.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS

X.l.r.8

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2018
Toronto/Miami
Photo Jul 21-2.jpeg

Original car from @arijaycomet with 20 inch model X wheels.
They are a staggered 20" wheel with 20x9 ET35 front wheels and 20x9,5 ET40 rear wheels.
Front tires are 245/40 and rear tires are 275/35

Cape Coddess

Working 2 ROTHS - hold and swing
Aug 18, 2019
Cape Cod
I get 246 miles at 100% charge. No idea what the mileage was when new as I've had the car only 3 months. Is it supposed to have been 249 miles when new?

I don't know. But there's an app called Carmiq that I use and it tells me a lot about my car. I found out about this app on this website somewhere.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC