Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finding the YT DAErik videos really great to see the process (Solar/PowerWall)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
We're signing up for Tesla Solar Panels and PowerWalls and have had many questions understanding the process. Lots of great feedback from owners on here (thanks!) and our Tesla Energy contact has been super. This morning had our 2nd conference call with him (yes, even though he had the day off he called us, wow) and answered all our remaining questions and concerns so we're ready to move forward. The actual installation process and what to expect never having gone through this before is probably the part that we've had the most questions about. He said the solar panels would be mounted to our concrete roof tiles using pucks instead of rails and the look would nice and clean. We also had asked about panel skirts on the panels which he said they install.

While attempting to learn as much as we can about this big expenditure and get more info on pucks and skirts, I found DAErik's YouTube site. Erik and David's installation at their house was in 8/2018. Always the video guys, they have put together a really informative video playlist of the work that was done on their home. If you are new to this process I'd recommend watching them. Feel much better seeing how an install goes. Here's their playlist:

Solar Series! All About Our Solar Panels. - YouTube

I dont watch many videos, but I did watch theirs and found the same as you did, @SMAlset. One thing that I really like, is the fact that they participate on the forum, but dont specifically call out who they are. They dont hide it (that much) but they dont call it out either. I find that EXTREMELY refreshing, actually.

I've watched many of their videos when they were featuring their MSs or roadtrips but am not a regular or subscribed viewer so I wasn't aware of the fact they added Solar and Powerwalls. Given we had just learned about pucks being used on the roof and wondering what the roof install would looked like, I was really happy to see Erik explain the pucks closeup, how they anchored and sealed to the roof, and appreciated he took to the roof to show off the components and layout. Braver person than me climbing up there. We were also able to get a feel for how the conduit would run under out eaves based on their install. You can read about something but actually seeing it answers a lot of questions.

Not exactly the typical install for many here as it was a large project (and I see just got larger), so a lot more extra equipment used but it definitely gave a nice feel for how Tesla would work at your home and more of what to expect.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjrandorin