Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finger stuck in door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone had their fingers stuck in their model y door?
It’s happened 2 times now. Once when I closed the driver side door on my daughters hand as she was getting into the backseat. Her hand was on the bar in between the driver and passengers door. She was fine, ie nothing broken but in a lot of pain. And today when I was getting into the passengers side and about to open my door, the back door was close and my finger got caught in the door. My husband hand to open my door from the inside to release it. He is an emergency room physician and had to use dermabind to stop the bleeding.
Has anyone else experienced this- I want to avoid this happening again in the future.

Attachments

• 244C57D6-64E1-4422-84AC-48B3E34E7297.jpeg
    244C57D6-64E1-4422-84AC-48B3E34E7297.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 257
Reactions: voxel
I’m just really not sure how an adult gets their fingers caught in a door.
It’s only happened once to me; if you are trying to close the door quietly, like if you don’t want to disturb a sleeping child, there is nothing on the outside of the door to hold on to. I was guiding the door closed slowly with my fingers on the inside of the door, while not paying a great deal of attention since I was on the phone. It takes very little force for the initial locking mechanism to engage; it didn’t close full just the first catch of the locking assembly. Certainly not saying this is a design flaw, or that it wasn’t completely my fault, just that it’s not impossible to do. My door is kinda heavy so it closes loudly and without an outside handle to use to slow the close I often grasp the inside of the door to reduce the closing force.

Yikes, that stinks. I'm trying to picture getting into the car holding on to the B pillar but can't really envision it. The only issue I have with the doors is getting people to not slam them shut. For some reason they feel the need to do so.

Yikes, that stinks. I'm trying to picture getting into the car holding on to the B pillar but can't really envision it. The only issue I have with the doors is getting people to not slam them shut. For some reason they feel the need to do so.
My family still slam the doors because they were a little stiffer and heavier than our last car when it was delivered. Now we don’t need to slam any more so I’ve been trying to retrain them 😀

has anyone had their fingers stuck in their model y door?
It’s happened 2 times now. Once when I closed the driver side door on my daughters hand as she was getting into the backseat. Her hand was on the bar in between the driver and passengers door. She was fine, ie nothing broken but in a lot of pain. And today when I was getting into the passengers side and about to open my door, the back door was close and my finger got caught in the door. My husband hand to open my door from the inside to release it. He is an emergency room physician and had to use dermabind to stop the bleeding.
Has anyone else experienced this- I want to avoid this happening again in the future.
Never had it happen. I have two kids and my wife can be pretty clumsy. Hope you all don’t experience hurt fingers again.

Classic Munchausen syndrome. Are you sure you weren't just wanting attention? I see this in the ER all of the time. So your daughter got the attention when she did it and then you felt left out? I am sure your husband will be watching more closely. :eek:

Perhaps some life rules you were not taught? Try only one drink and hold off on the second. One other thing, remember to look both ways before crossing the street. Also, no hairdryers in the bathtub and don't run with scissors in hand. Another classic, don't eat yellow snow.

Oh, you crazy Canucks, I think it's the cold weather that does it. 🙃😜

I have in the past slammed a car door with my finger in it (not the Tesla). The pain is immense and the swelling is terrible....and then to relieve the pain of the swelling it’s necessary to perform self-surgery.....a hot needle is pushed through the nail...couldn’t be more painful and it’s been decades since I learnt that lesson

something similar happed to our daughter in our Honda Odyssey. The lesson is to watch where you put your hands.
Oh yes the Ody sliding door or window finger, I caught my son's when he was 1.5yrs old, was bent and I just straightened it using my hand while he was still in pain, gotta love greenstick fractures. As for the rest of the litter, everyone has had their finger caught on the hinge side of closet doors, a very painful and lifetime conditioning experience.

I similar thing happened to one of my kids with our old Dodge Caravan. I was getting in the drivers door while the kids were boarding through the sliding door. One of them used the center pillar between the drivers and sliding door as a hand hold while boarding. I didn't notice and when I shut the door it was partially on their hand. Luckily we had some ice in the cooler. I put some hazard tape there to remind us all the future. Never happened again.

I don't mean to be impolite, but what is the point of this thread? If you want to avoid experiencing this again in the future, then stop putting your hand on the exterior of the car when getting in. Albeit unfortunate, especially for your daughter who I assume is young, this is not a design flaw of Tesla nor is this a topic which could benefit from community discussion.

I suppose there is one caveat here not unique to Tesla: keep your hands away from any doors you are not in control of.

Reactions: WhiteWi and nate704
Status
Not open for further replies.