TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Fingers Crossed for Tonight

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SteveG3, Nov 27, 2017.

1. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

Motor Trend Car of the Year announcement is in LA tonight.

Here's the list of eight finalists:

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Kia Rio

Honda Accord

Lexus LC

Honda Civic Type R

Porsche Panamera

Kia Stinger

Tesla Model 3

link to press release re tonight,

MOTOR TREND Announces Its 2018 Awards Finalists

2. golfnut

golfnut Member

I know who I'd like to see win, but I wonder if that Lexus LC is parked in the front of that picture for a reason?? Hmm?? :rolleyes:

3. 206er

206er Member

After reading the previews, it seems like they're pretty high on the Civic... and knock the 3's size, especially the backseat leg room.

4. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

The comments on the leg room were surprising from everything else I'd seen. That said, I wouldn't take that as indicating the Model 3 is any less likely to lose... they don't want those write-ups from the past couple of weeks to give anything away.

5. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

Here's Motor Trend's COTY criteria:

In the final phase of Car of the Year, Motor Trend judges debate and evaluate each vehicle against the awards six key criteria:

Design Advancement - well-executed exterior and interior styling; innovative vehicle packaging; good selection and use of materials.

Engineering Excellence - total vehicle concept and execution; clever solutions to packaging, manufacturing and dynamics issues; cost-effective tech that benefits the consumer.

Efficiency - low fuel consumption and carbon footprint, relative to the vehicle's competitive set.

Safety - a vehicle's ability to help the driver avoid a crash, as well as the secondary safety measures that protect its occupants from harm during a crash.

Value - competitive price and equipment levels, measured against those of vehicles in the same market segment.

Performance of Intended Function - how well the vehicle does the job its planners, designers, and engineers intended it to do.

strangely, this was in the Wikipedia article, but the source was a 2013 Cadillac press release.. but Motor Trend does mention this in a current article:

Every step of the way we remind ourselves of our competition’s six foundational criteria: Advancement in Design, Engineering Excellence, Performance of Intended Function, Efficiency, Safety, and Value. (source)

Based on the 6 criteria, I feel the Model 3 has a good shot at the title versus the other finalists.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  6. EXOTIC1

EXOTIC1 Member

Lexus LC is pretty sweet car but can be over 100k
    the new Acura NSX is spectacular sports car every bit as good as lambo-ferrari

7. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Supporting Member

Anyone know what time?

8. dandurston

dandurston Member

• Helpful x 6
  9. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

The Alfa Giulia won...........

• Informative x 1
  10. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Supporting Member

Bother. I'd hoped that two EVs in a row would send the message we need sent. Ah, well. We'll get 'em next year

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  11. 206er

206er Member

Really suprised that they picked the Alfa, esp with the Porsche and 2 Hondas in the field. Hmmm... not a good look for the Model 3.

12. mattcrowley

mattcrowley Member

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  13. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  14. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

Not bad:

Tesla, take that! ;)

15. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

How many times in history has an automobile been so anticipated? It's like a perfect storm placed on a silver platter at the feet of journalists... How do you wiff that?

What is the current backlog for the Alfa? Hmm......

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 1
  16. larmor

larmor Active Member

• Funny x 7
  17. Olds442

Olds442 Member

that's not styling, at all. yikes.

18. RayW

RayW Joy Riding

Thanks. I now have more appreciation for my Tesla after listening to those internal combustion engines struggle to accelerate around the race course... hurts my ears. :eek:

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
  19. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Seemed to be a lot of inconsistencies in the selection. I guess it all boils down to their seat-of-the-pants feel. They complained about the Model 3 price, but the Alpha upper level model is $80K. Not what they were testing? Well, they seemed to compare the Quadrifoglio performance when convenient for them to have it win.

Maybe they'll have more trouble when the dual motor Model 3 is available.

I pity these poor guys when the new Roadster is out. They will have a very hard time coming up with a reason to criticize it, other than it doesn't make noise like their impression of a good car. Sounds like Cadillac is putting desirable car-like sounds out of the stereo in their cars -- maybe Tesla needs to come up with a "Motor Trend" setting to do that for their cars...

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

If Elon wanted to, he could easily add a sound track to his vehicles. You could chose an ICE sound track of a V8, Inline 6, Twin Turbo 4, V12 or even a Rotary.

For some reason he probably feels that this would not advance his goal of electrifying transportation.

• Like x 2