TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Finnish taxi has driven 402 374 kms with original battery

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Matias, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Matias

Matias Active Member

He says originally car had 400kms range at full charge, now it has 370. I think that this is great result.

IMG_1093.JPG

• Informative x 9
    • Love x 3
    • Like x 1
  2. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

I wonder how much the cooler ambient temperature has impacted the battery life.

3. Matias

Matias Active Member

#3 Matias, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    It is true, that finnish climate is good for battery longevity, summers are mild and to my understanding the colder the better for batteries (if we leave really arctic temperatures below -30 out).

The car is located in Helsinki

Climate - Finnish Meteorological Institute

4. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

They are, but Tesla climate controls its packs regardless.

While these numbers sound amazing, they are in line with known degradation curves. Most degradation occurs in the first year but then it tapers off strongly with time. From a chemistry perspective, so long as you have good electrolyte stability, the degradation largely involves electrode swelling pulverizing more vulnerable areas of the surface during intercalation; the most vulnerable areas go first, but there's less and less that's ready to "break" after that.

I think most people's concepts of "EVs will have dead batteries when they get old" are going to be radically turned on their heads, when talking about vehicles with properly managed packs like Teslas. DoD is managed, climate is managed, total capacity is huge so daily cycles are gentle, and you've got many cells in parallel, with current shunted around failures. They're really tough to take out.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  5. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Regardless of the reality that we know the degradation curves, it still is exciting to look at a >400,000 km car with less than 10% degradation. Roughly similar stories from Tesloop and a Quebec taxi do confirm that temperatures do not change these results in any material way. Nice!

• Like x 2
  6. FVO

FVO Active Member

They should fill in the maxrange-sheet. Will make a nice reference-point for other owners.

• Like x 1
  7. SD Diver

SD Diver Member

I was charging at the Culver City SC about a month ago and saw a couple of TesLoop vehicles charging. Spoke to the driver of one of them - an S85, that had just over 290,000 miles on the original battery. His 100% was 245.

8. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I would be more impressed if I knew what the original 100% number was.

9. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

for folks like me: this is
    250,023.6 miles

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  10. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

As S85 was 265 miles at 100% new

11. ReddyLeaf

ReddyLeaf Member

This is the best use for EVs, high-mileage drivers like Taxis. The battery degradation is a combination of calendar and cycle loss, both of which are related to temperature. LiON batteries should get 1,000 to 2,000 cycles to 20% degradation, BUT ONLY if calendar losses are minimized. Try to space out those 400,000 km into 20 years instead of 2 and you won't see anywhere near the same degradation. So, moral of the story, drive it like you stole it. Furthermore, given the lower fuel costs of an EV over ICE, many taxis and other high mileage drivers will switch to EVs. This will result in many older ICE vehicles being "stranded" (sitting in the driveway unused, waiting for a trip that the EV cannot make) until the owner finally decides to sell, donate, or dispose. FYI, that's exactly what happened to me. I have primarily driven my Leaf since 2011, only using my ICE for out-of-town trips, probably less than 3000 miles in the last three years. The Leaf was getting 10 times the miles of the ICE. Finally, two years after getting the 70D, I finally sold the ICE.

• Like x 3