Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fire at Gruber?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News report states: "A late-afternoon fire that caused the roof of a north Phoenix manufacturing building to collapse on Friday was exacerbated by lithium batteries inside, according to the Phoenix Fire Department."

Cause of fire not stated. Glad to see that no one was hurt, sorry to see those Roadsters destroyed. Really want to know how many, and which ones.

This is extremely upsetting.

If I'm not mistaken...they had a Lightning Green 2.5 at one point. I sincerely hope that one didn't disappear, as that would mean one less of the ~25 ever made.

Last edited:
I heard that most, if not all, Roadsters were salvaged cars that Gruber purchased for the parts. That helps a little (since we already mourned their loss), but this whole thing is incredibly sad.

From the original owner of the Tzero: "They were using an experimental procedure to "recover" a bricked Tesla Roadster battery and the battery caught fire. It spread through the building. I don't think this says anything about the safety of the battery in general, but I'll bet they perform that procedure outside in the future..."

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
In addition to the T-Zero, it looks like 6 Roadsters were lost & the previously mentioned Model S, an EV Smart, and an ACR Viper.

RIP, T-Zero #2. That leaves one semi-working T-Zero on this planet (it needs a battery).

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 10.37.01 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Me too. So sad. I feel terrible for all the owners (company and cars), I can't see how they can come back from this. I have bought supplemental insurance for my small business before when keeping a lot of inventory, and there is a good chance this isn't covered. I hope for their sake it was.