Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fire Department stopped by to look at SolarGlass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
A truck from the local fire department stopped by to check out our SolarGlass roof. They were wondering about venting in case of a fire and whether they could walk on the tiles. I showed them the spare tile we have have and went over the clip system for removing the tiles. Also pointed out it is glass and when wet is very slick. All and all a great bunch of guys. I invited their other shifts to come by and see the roof and PowerWalls.

We had a similar experience as the fire department near us stopped by during our install to chat with the installers about the materials, installation process, and the electrical/rapid shutdown devices. With our permission, they took a bunch of pictures, and since then we have seen other firefighters stop by a couple of times pointing at our roof while one of the firefighters was showing images on their phone. We did offer for them to inspect the interior if they were interested, but right after that, social distancing became a thing, so I'm guessing that is why they haven't taken us up on it since.

In any event, it was great that they were proactive in wanting to learn about the new technology and how to safely deal with the solar roof should the need ever arise.

The fire department has a safety video on Youtube regarding Tesla Solar glass V2 from about 2018. They take a chainsaw to it and show the tiles are about as slick as snow and ice. They also show the system has low voltage strings and can be cut with little electrical safety risk. Sorry no links I'm very new to posting. It has also been reported and observed on 6/12 to 4/12 pitches where the installers are literally sliding downhill while working! Safety whatever. Furthermore, Tesla forbides anyone from walking on the owner's roof without their permission. Therefore the roof can't practically be accessed during ownership period. Those were Tesla's rules for V1 (prototype) and V2 (best version). Not sure about V3. Thanks, I've learned so much from TMC member posts about Solar and how it really works.

Yes its V2 for the safety video. The sliding report was for V2 by a member here. The visual proof that V3 is slippery is the Neuman house on youtube where the installer slides on the front 6/12 or so dormer while installing a shingle. Ironically, Tesla recently advertised the exact same house on their Slideshow presentation for Q1 2020 released with their 8-K and 10-Q. Looks like a compelling product with a giant market due to Musk's 35% discount or so going from V2 to V3. Could you post your link to zanary's post again? Thanks.

.... It has also been reported and observed on 6/12 to 4/12 pitches where the installers are literally sliding downhill while working! Safety whatever. Furthermore, Tesla forbides anyone from walking on the owner's roof without their permission. Therefore the roof can't practically be accessed during ownership period. Those were Tesla's rules for V1 (prototype) and V2 (best version). Not sure about V3. ...

On our V3 roofs the roofs were hoping all over it, when it was dry. I have walked the entire roof with a pair of tennis shoes and with sandals and had no issue. However, when it get's wet or frost it is slick. There we a number of slips when they tried to get started when the roof still had frost on it. I have experienced the same issues with metal roofs

On our home I have been up there when it was dry and don't see why someone cannot do maintenance to the fireplace or paint second story eaves. I was up there the other day to retrieve some left over construction materials and clean gutters and had no problems.

Yes its V2 for the safety video. The sliding report was for V2 by a member here. The visual proof that V3 is slippery is the Neuman house on youtube where the installer slides on the front 6/12 or so dormer while installing a shingle. Ironically, Tesla recently advertised the exact same house on their Slideshow presentation for Q1 2020 released with their 8-K and 10-Q. Looks like a compelling product with a giant market due to Musk's 35% discount or so going from V2 to V3. Could you post your link to zanary's post again? Thanks.

zanary's post is the email link up above.

And yes the price is compeling. When we compared to another tile roof plus solar panels the SolarGlass V3 was about $1,000 less for a lower (9+ kW vs 12+kW) rated system. One caveat is that we specified Panasonic panels and solar edge optimizers and inverters on the other system. This was based on the feedback from forum members.

Last edited:
Agreed. I'm not saying you can't walk on it but merely Tesla Inc told their 1rst 2 customers of V1 verbally and perhaps in writing that they, or anyone else, are not allowed to go on the roof without Tesla's permission. One of those roofs was Amanda Tobler's (deleted Twitter page called Toblerone) Shorty after install she had Tesla remove a row or column of shingles so the painter could access an area. V3 is stronger than V1/V2 due to design changes. Could you check your operations manual for what Tesla says? Thanks. Also Amanda deleted her Twitter shortly after V3 was released. She had liked the attention but also reported people dropping in who ID'd the house. This is unfortunate as the couple really represented the green movement well by having multiple EVs and raising a family.