Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fire versus safety changing the topic of conversation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To some fire and safety are one in the same. Tesla seems to have separated this.

I have seen horrendous injuries from auto accidents with the cars totaled and people dead or in ICUs on life support. I have even had to deal with crispy corpses from auto fire. Nobody wants to see a totaled car including owner or insurance company but the number one concern is was anyone hurt. There is no way currently available to avoid accidents such as road barrier other cars overpasses or any other accident. People make mistakes whether it's the one who looses the trailer hitch or the road maintenance who didn't remove it or the driver who failed to avoid it.

Fire seems to be a more visible horror than a bent frame or bashed in metal probably because of how gas cars burn and explode with a high rate of death. However, the end result of a totaled car is a totaled car. The amazing thing to me is the lack of personal injury in these horrific accidents whether with or without fire.

I believe the media and even us have lost track of what safety means. It's not the loss of the car, it's not the presence of fire it's whether people have been hurt. We need to change our metric here

To some fire and safety are one in the same. Tesla seems to have separated this.

I have seen horrendous injuries from auto accidents with the cars totaled and people dead or in ICUs on life support. I have even had to deal with crispy corpses from auto fire. Nobody wants to see a totaled car including owner or insurance company but the number one concern is was anyone hurt. There is no way currently available to avoid accidents such as road barrier other cars overpasses or any other accident. People make mistakes whether it's the one who looses the trailer hitch or the road maintenance who didn't remove it or the driver who failed to avoid it.

Fire seems to be a more visible horror than a bent frame or bashed in metal probably because of how gas cars burn and explode with a high rate of death. However, the end result of a totaled car is a totaled car. The amazing thing to me is the lack of personal injury in these horrific accidents whether with or without fire.

I believe the media and even us have lost track of what safety means. It's not the loss of the car, it's not the presence of fire it's whether people have been hurt. We need to change our metric here

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately the American public has been encultuated by the media to fear the uncommon, but spectacular, fire, commercial air crashes and the like, as opposed to what might really do them in.

It might happen one day, but until then TM needs to keep beating the drum and saying "No one has ever sustained a permanent injury"

I'll say it again: nowadays the evidence is caught on camera. The design did its primary job of protecting the cabin. When Tesla starts adding the driver assistance tech it'll just make the car even better.

If there's a safety issue, it's that the damage can cause a loss of power at highway speeds. For that reason, for energy efficiency and for future lower cost cars where insurance premiums matter more, Tesla needs to try to come up with a way of reducing the odds that road debris will cause the vehicle to be written off.

Last edited:
Yes! Thank you, Chickenlittle, for starting this thread. I've become keenly aware that TMC is on the radar of journalists, and they're listening to our conversations. So it bears repeating over and over again:

• Yes, we had two fires from road debris.
  • Those two drivers are alive and well, having safely exited the car after it instructed them to do so.
  • The same two drivers plan to replace their cars with a new Model S as soon as possible.
I'm still completely convinced that the Model S is the safest car on the road, period.

When Tesla starts adding the driver assistance tech it'll just make the car even better.

This is very interesting! Can you tell us something more about this driver assistance tech?
To this concern I would like to say that in another thread I said exactly that a safety system protecting better the Model S from road debris could be developed maybe in the frame of a new tech option.