Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firearm storage model 3 [and other firearms discussion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this company can do something custom for you: https://www.conceal-pro.net/product...LwwxGlhk__LTZ1Yg6uGcfUVda_YCtQgQTSbt8ieUYZyNs

42bf75_205cf8c1ddac4922aadcaa9fc99f89e3~mv2_d_3024_3024_s_4_2.webp

Perhaps a small safe bolted inside the frunk.

Would provide covert and relatively safe storage, but still readily available.

Believe what OP would really like is a storage safe that he could quickly reach while inside his car.

Glove box is obvious answer, but also obvious to thieves.

Reactions: OUengineer
I don’t understand the need for so much security — welded/bolted safes?

I’d be willing to wager 99% of guns stolen from cars are either negligently left right out in the open or stored somewhere obvious (glovebox, etc). If nobody knows it’s there and it’s not somewhere that someone is gonna think to look within 30 seconds, you’re gonna be fine. Nobody has time (and tools) to sit in your car and cut a cable lock for a $500 Glock on a whim.

no law abiding gun owner would ever take this chance are you crazy? We have to take responsibility in protecting our firearms so that we can continue to exercise these rights

no law abiding gun owner would ever take this chance are you crazy? We have to take responsibility in protecting our firearms so that we can continue to exercise these rights
Then use a cable lock or keep your gun on your person. I’m not suggesting you leave it on the front seat. I’m suggesting that you be reasonable about what level of security is necessary. Guns are stolen from cars in crimes of opportunity, not by professional thieves. If someone wants something badly enough, no level of security can stop them.

What about one of those cable locks used to secure laptops? Seems like if you put that through the trigger ring* you could connect it to some sort of hook bolted/welded into the center console and you'd be good.

Seems like maybe a small safe might also fit in the center console, but I'm not sure if one actually exists with the dimensions needed to actually fit. Otherwise I think you're going to have to look at the frunk or that extra space in the bottom of the trunk

* I'm not really a gun guy, so if that part has a name I'm not aware of it.

same issue here you're not gonna get much help here as most tesla owner are quite the progressives, i ended up putting a small flat safe tied to the seat on the passengers side under the mat. i have those thick mats to it helps it blend in.

Some messages have been helpful however still not addressing the safe or lock to secure the firearm inside the vehicle near the drivers side or center console.

I appreciate your comment, do you have a picture of your install?

For anyone who still has questions, I’m talking about securing my firearm (situationally based such as when I’m at training away from a secure locker and can’t have it on my person due to trainings such as using simunition rounds, etc). Otherwise I carry my firearm on my person.

its just a simple safe i got from work barely fits a glock 19 its slim enough that when place under those really padded pu leather mats it blends in. simply tied with the provided cable to the seat railing. i had originally planed on mounting a safe in the top crossbeam of the trunk but i got side tracked. will probably revise that option.[/QUOTE]

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
I’m talking about securing my firearm (situationally based such as when I’m at training away from a secure locker and can’t have it on my person due to trainings such as using simunition rounds, etc). Otherwise I carry my firearm on my pers
LEO here. You have a serious issue that needs to be addressed by your management. It is absolutely unacceptable to expect you to go to training and not have a place for you to secure your weapon inside the training facility. You should NEVER store your weapon in a car unless you have a custom lockbox that’s securely attached to the vehicle, which is not gonna be cheap.

If the training facility parking lot is in a secure restricted entry area, then you MAY be able to get away with a lock box or something but that’s still no bueno in my opinion.

Cable lock boxes are not acceptable in my view. You can jimmy those things open with a simple flathead screwdriver. Or the cable can be cut and the thief can take the box with them to open later.

We are not allowed to leave weapons or body armor in an unattended vehicle (that is, one that’s out of your sight) without written permission, and you better have a damn good reason for it to get permission. I’ve been told by several state and local PD cops that they can never leave a weapon in the car under any circumstances.

The bottom line is that if the gun goes missing, including the theft of the entire car, it’s your ass. Period. Not worth the risk. If management won’t install lock boxes inside the training facility, then I’d take the chance of not carrying the weapon to and from training.

LEO here. You have a serious issue that needs to be addressed by your management. It is absolutely unacceptable to expect you to go to training and not have a place for you to secure your weapon inside the training facility. You should NEVER store your weapon in a car unless you have a custom lockbox that’s securely attached to the vehicle, which is not gonna be cheap.

If the training facility parking lot is in a secure restricted entry area, then you MAY be able to get away with a lock box or something but that’s still no bueno in my opinion.

Cable lock boxes are not acceptable in my view. You can jimmy those things open with a simple flathead screwdriver. Or the cable can be cut and the thief can take the box with them to open later.

We are not allowed to leave weapons or body armor in an unattended vehicle (that is, one that’s out of your sight) without written permission, and you better have a damn good reason for it to get permission. I’ve been told by several state and local PD cops that they can never leave a weapon in the car under any circumstances.

The bottom line is that if the gun goes missing, including the theft of the entire car, it’s your ass. Period. Not worth the risk. If management won’t install lock boxes inside the training facility, then I’d take the chance of not carrying the weapon to and from training.

I know around here they use different buildings for active shooter training but the police department doesn't own the buildings so no secure storage in the facilities. My understanding is they have a few officers dedicated to watching the weapons however I can see that being an issue with smaller police departments.

One place I worked it used to be a few unarmed personnel watching over the live weapons. Always thought it was a bit off the person watching over all the live weapons wasn't qualified to use any of them.

Reactions: JayAreOhhh

I couldn’t agree more which is precisely why I am looking for some sort of lockbox/safe.

I couldn’t agree more and that’s exactly why I’m trying to find a way to securely mount a safe/lockbox to my vehicle. The training I went to was a few hours away from work which is exactly what led me to look into this topic. Do you have a lockbox or safe installed in your vehicle and if so, where?

If my buddy didn’t have a safe in his truck then I would have been upset having to leave it in my vehicle without properly being secured. It seems like there are not many viable options for kickboxers or safes in Tesla’s. I really do not want to utilize the frunk or trunk after seeing videos on how easily they can be pried open.

Reactions: Leeclanual
I couldn’t agree more which is precisely why I am looking for some sort of lockbox/safe.

I couldn’t agree more and that’s exactly why I’m trying to find a way to securely mount a safe/lockbox to my vehicle. The training I went to was a few hours away from work which is exactly what led me to look into this topic. Do you have a lockbox or safe installed in your vehicle and if so, where?

If my buddy didn’t have a safe in his truck then I would have been upset having to leave it in my vehicle without properly being secured. It seems like there are not many viable options for kickboxers or safes in Tesla’s. I really do not want to utilize the frunk or trunk after seeing videos on how easily they can be pried open.

lockboxes lol... love autocorrect

TL%20039.jpg

ATT-Tactical™ - Security Weapon Racks and Storage Solutions

Patrol Car Trunk System
With key lock or 5-button Combo-Lock

Sized to fit popular current production Patrol Cars and bolts securely to the trunk structure. The system is constructed of all-steel and the pull-out drawer rides on ball-bearing glides for years of service.

Crown Vic Police Intercepter - 8"h x 43-1/2"w x 20"d 90lbs SEMA-Rated
Impala PPV - 7-1/2"h x 34"w x 20"d 75lbs SEMA-Rated

Status
Not open for further replies.