Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firearm storage model 3 [and other firearms discussion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
artruck1_2e148a2d75a44d4ace43fd16cc6022d0a4b1f4bb-jpg.1682382

Perhaps a small safe bolted inside the frunk.

Would provide covert and relatively safe storage, but still readily available.

Believe what OP would really like is a storage safe that he could quickly reach while inside his car.

Glove box is obvious answer, but also obvious to thieves.
Not if you have to use the screen or the app to open it. In a clutch situation this would not be optimal.

If you’re okay with using the trunk, there’s a support that runs side to side which you could bolt a safe to without much worry.

I own a small very heavy/thick steel lockbox which attaches with a short cable, you can adjust the lead length and that will certainly give someone a hard time. A screw driver won’t defeat this box.

If you want to blow someone’s mind, contact the guys at Tuffy Security products. They build boxes and consoles for all sorts of vehicles. They might be willing to build one for the model 3. I know of a great place for one. Attachment is the part I don’t know about as I haven’t gutted the interior yet.

• Funny
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
It would damage the battery and potentially start a fire, like that Tesla fire that a driver claimed was completely spontaneous until Tesla found the bullet in the battery.

Tesla says someone fired a bullet into battery pack of a Model S that caught on fire - Electrek

ahhhhhhhhhhh, good find
I carry legally and always wondered now what would happen if god forbid it went off accidentally somehow and it went into the battery directly underneath. Its because of this(and not in my ICE car),I wage whether to keep one in the chamber or not. I was really just noid about it blowing up or some sillyness

ahhhhhhhhhhh, good find
I carry legally and always wondered now what would happen if god forbid it went off accidentally somehow and it went into the battery directly underneath. Its because of this(and not in my ICE car),I wage whether to keep one in the chamber or not. I was really just noid about it blowing up or some sillyness

Guns go off negligently, not accidentally

(barring defective firearms)

Confused by the need here. If you were to need quick access to the firearm, while you are in the car, then you don't want a safe, you want it on you, or easily accessible.

If you want to secure the firearm in a safe while you are away from the vehicle, then any location should do. Doesn't need to be in the cabin. I use a cable tethered lockbox in the trunk.

for convenience, yes, a safe in the console would be cool. But it's just too small for that. I think a sturdy cabled safe is appropriate for what you are seeking.

yes. but I'm not perfect. apparently everybody else is?
but I'm sure I can come up with accidental discharge where its not negligent. Such as defective firearm for starters. But pure accidents do happen

There's no such thing... this is my own opinion. as long as the gun has no defects even dropping it shouldn't make it go off even when chambered which means you had your finger on the trigger for some reason... I'm not trying to be an a$$ but correct me if i'm wrong.

LE here but awaiting delivery of my M3

I'm not sure what their prices look like but I have some family involved with Innovative Emergency Equipment in Riverside. They specalize in outfitting patrol vehicles with weapon security (and stuff like mobile CPs, long gun/flex racks, etc). I'm sure they'd be able to rig something up for you if they don't have a solution already. http://idsmp.com/

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Keep it in the box labelled ‘I have a small penis’. No self respecting car theft will ever look in there.

While we all may have our own opinions on gun ownership, this is not helpful to the discussion. Even those of us who do not carry guns should have a vested interest in helping those who do secure them properly. I would much rather see a gun safely carried and very secure than not, as that prevents accidents and theft, which leads to exactly the problems that we seek to stop.

Vaultek VT10i Review – Is This TSA Approved Portable Safe Worth the money?

Just get something like this and you can bolt, or wire it whenever you want. works great.

I would be really skeptical of nearly any small and convenient gun safe, as nearly all of them have glaring security flaws. You really need to be choosy and do your research before buying one of these, as many of them are laughably insecure. Examples:

^^ This is the one linked to above.

A couple more if you're interested:

[1022] Homak Gun Safe Opened With Orange Juice Bottle
[22] GunVault Biometric Picked and Reviewed

BosnianBill reviewed one that looks like it's about the most secure one you can get in an inexpensive price range, it's the Amazon Basics one:

There's no such thing... this is my own opinion. as long as the gun has no defects even dropping it shouldn't make it go off even when chambered which means you had your finger on the trigger for some reason... I'm not trying to be an a$$ but correct me if i'm wrong.

well, agree to disagree,but defective firearm unbeknownst beforehand, is enough
and there's lost of scenarios, you seem to be on the single person driving by themself only scenario
could be family members, or if somebody jumped in and tried to take your car: shoot but miss and hit battery and kaboom.Just like everybody isn't perfect,not everybody is a marksmen. Doesn't play a role in ICE cars

Last edited:
well, agree to disagree,but defective firearm unbeknownst beforehand, is enough
and there's lost of scenarios, you seem to be on the single person driving by themself only scenario
could be family members, or if somebody jumped in and tried to take your car: shoot but miss and hit battery and kaboom.Just like everybody isn't perfect,not everybody is a marksmen. Doesn't play a role in ICE cars

Perhaps. I get it, the concern is there. i wasn't trying to argue, was simply my personal opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.