Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firearm storage model 3 [and other firearms discussion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The GunVault SpeedVault SV 500 (which I use at home) would work well in the trunk or frunk but is too big to fit in the center console. The advantage to this over most other vaults is that it opens from the side instead of needing a lot of clearance for a top that swings open. A smaller version, if there were one, would be perfect for the console.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GunVault-SpeedVault-Digital-Keypad-Handgun-Safe/22029424

Reactions: Leeclanual

So LockPickingLawyer opened that previous safe with a fork. Progressing through his silverware drawer, he now opens one with a spoon:

Someone in the comments to that video had an interesting observation: Many of these gun safes appear to be little more than "compliance" accessories -- they meet the requirement of the law in some states that the gun must be locked up, but actually offer no security at all.

So LockPickingLawyer opened that previous safe with a fork. Progressing through his silverware drawer, he now opens one with a spoon:

Someone in the comments to that video had an interesting observation: Many of these gun safes appear to be little more than "compliance" accessories -- they meet the requirement of the law in some states that the gun must be locked up, but actually offer no security at all.

All security products are a facade to a professional. With time, money and skill, every one of them can be defeated.

Reactions: Leeclanual
Been using steel cable looped through the seat rail and micro safe for those times I cant have it on me. Same with model S.
Wish the aftermarket can come up with safe for arm rest, wouldn't mind spending a few hundred to know its bolted down and accessible like a truck arm rest.
PURE SPECULATION....
I think the issue with aftermarket is while there are many Tesla's being sold now, I suspect that not many Tesla owners are ALSO gun owners. I'm not saying there aren't ANY (hence this thread), just lower than average.

Like I said earlier the act of storing the gun in the frunk in particular is liable to draw attention. I rarely use the frunk because I have caused several folks to think I am having car troubles.

If you can store it in reach of the driver's seat you attract less attention.

I don't carry so I have no experience but am interested in the topic. Thank you those who have shared links and experience.

Fire arm safe option included

ERLPBwZXUAA_Ctq

theres no space under the seats.
I installed seat covers and I think I was able to pass my hand all the way under the seats to put some hooks.

I was thinking about the area were the rear passengers put their feet under the front seats.
In particular, for the middle passenger there is quite of space below the rear air vent and USB plugs.
I think you could conceal a small safe and use some of the seats bolts to secure it.

Of course, you will need to go to the rear row to access the safe,
but I think it would simpler and more discrete than opening the front or rear hood.

1448752-00-B_3.jpg

I hate to keep pushing this thread off-topic. But, given that many EV owners lean left, I’d hate to leave anyone who doesn’t know about guns with the impression that responsible gun owners would ever find what you’ve said above to be acceptable or normal.

It is a good idea to point a firearm in a safe direction (like a sand trap) when loading and unloading. But a properly handled firearm would never discharge while being loaded/unloaded. I’ve handled firearms my whole life, and been around others who also regularly handle firearms. I’ve never seen anyone unintentionally fire a round. If I did, I would never want to be around that person again while they’re armed.

Yeah, because all progressives and those on the left dont own/know anything about firearms.
Think there are still plenty of gun owning Tesla owners.
We are not all Bernie Bros.

You can also still feel the Bern AND be a staunch supporter of 2A rights.

I know this topic has been discussed previously, but I still have not found any concrete answer or solution to storing a firearm in the model 3.

As a law enforcement officer I generally have my offduty carry on my person. While at training today, we had to secure our firearms in our vehicle since firearms and other weapons were not allowed due to what we were doing. Although the glovebox has a setting to be accessed through passcode, I would like a more secure solution. I ended up securing my firearm in my coworkers vehicle where he has a safe installed in the center console. Has anyone found any legitimate ways of mounting a safe (not a holster which has been previously discussed) in the center console or near the driver side area that easy is easily accessible and discrete. This is for times that are situationally based such as being at training like mentioned previously.

I look forward to hearing positive comments from all.

Take it to a custom audio shop with good experience fabricating custom enclosures. Have them fab your small form factor safe into the console. I'd have it hollowed all the way to under the arm rest and place the access point under there or near the phone charger ledge.

Only other option with enough clearance is the trunk if you need the quick access. Frunk is no good without the app to open it or the entering the car obviously. Much easier to put it in the cabin or trunk. A custom fab into the hollow on the driver side trunk could be good. I would ask for them to cut you a whole new trunk liner to go over it though so you can just pull it back and it's not obvious if someone breaks in.

I've fabbed plenty of safes into trunks and center consoles.

I get your point but is it still not faster to have it chambered and ready holstered than not chambered?

Asking that question shows you're not getting my point. I never claimed it isn't faster to have it chambered. I said keeping it chambered brings other risks and that all the risks should be considered.

you're taking it a little far by saying finger on the trigger.

A little far?!? I was pushing it to the most absurd extreme possible to show that there's definitely a point where we can all agree that a tiny amount of extra readiness leads to too many risks to be "worth it." My point was to show that there's an extreme which we can all agree would be just plain old stupid.

You're also not seeing the point about charging. you charge it to 70% most of the time or all the time right?

Wrong. I did not say I charge to 70% most of the time. I said I don't even consider charging if I'm not meaningfully below 50%. More often than not, when I park at home, I don't plug in.

you charge it to 70% "just in case".

No. I said that when I do charge it, I charge to no more than 70%. It's not "at least 70%," it's "no more than 70%." If I wanted range "just in case" I'd charge it to 95% or 99%. But I don't. Why? because "too much readiness" comes with a downside. (Worse battery life.) Too little is bad in one way, but too much is bad in another way. Balance.

You're trying to make a point but it's not coming across very well. I am not sure what you are trying to get at.

My point is simple: everything is a balance. Something that reduces one kind of risk often causes another sort of risk. If you're maximizing for milliseconds of response time with no consideration of the downside risks of extra preparedness, your judgement is broken.

If you don't feel like carrying a gun, don't. this thread is about firearm storage.

I've been supportive of OP @wildgrind 's request about firearm storage since the beginning of this thread.

He's not asking about a way to hide a gun in the front of his car for quick-draw gun fight access. He's asking about a way to discretely and securely stow his firearm when he needs to leave it behind. He recognizes that using the frunk or trunk raises other risks (such as others seeing that you're stowing something valuable.) I think OP is thinking about this correctly.

Reactions: BikerPeaBody
Working on stage 1 of my prototype today. Stage two hopefully next weekend, and if things go as planned I should have a functional one in a month. I don’t have loads of time to dedicate to this. But it’s something I know I can build, and I have lock boxes in my other cars. See no reason one can’t be easily concealed in the Tesla. Note: not a safe, it’s a lockbox. It will only slow a determined thief. But like any lock, it will keep honest people honest.

thinking 16G steel.

Reactions: Timmy T.
Status
Not open for further replies.