Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firearm storage model 3 [and other firearms discussion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct, which is why I am for background checks, specially for places that do not leave a foot print of the purchase like at a GUN SHOWS, I would say that makes it pretty special.

How does paying admission (often by credit card) to enter a building that is usually a convention center or similar that has tons of cameras, leaving a GPS trail to said place where gun sale activity is known to be happening, then buying from a private seller who paid to rent a table to sell guns by giving his contact info to do so, qualify as not "leaving a footprint"

But "meeting some rando off the internet at a random location and time" does count as leaving one?

There's literally nothing "special" about "gun shows" here other than it's an objectively inferior, less-selection-and-more-effort-and-way-more-trackable way to do the thing you're apparently upset about people doing compared to the internet private sale route?

In any event, requiring a check for private sales is a state law matter (since it's not interstate commerce after all), so it'd be your state legislature you'd want to be lobbying.

Wait, I thought this was a joke. "Lunatics have guns so that's why I have a gun".
Nevermind my comment then.
Not a joke. There are two options here (until we make some more common sense gun control measures). Either a lunatic has a gun and you don’t or a lunatic has a gun and you have a gun too. I’d rather be in the latter situation. Deescalating and withdrawing was the correct move in the YouTube video regardless. But in case that didn’t work, it’s better to make your chances 50/50 rather than 90/10.

unfortunately there are a lot of crazy people out there and I’d rather good people protect themselves from becoming a victim or a statistic

Correct, which is why I am for background checks, specially for places that do not leave a foot print of the purchase like at a GUN SHOWS, I would say that makes it pretty special.

it’s all personal opinion, but I disagree with you on this. Bad intentions will be bad intentions, no matter what device is used to cause the issue. I can throw up more data and statistics than your brain could comprehend supporting my assertion, and then you would revert back to the same few basic retorts based on emotional interpretation rather than data, so we’ll skip that entire debate.

In short, just because you think I shouldn’t have something, doesn’t mean I need to live by your suggestion. Just as I don’t tell you how to do things in your private life.

I have to assume that you also don’t want guns in the hands of bad or perhaps unstable people like the guy in that video. Don’t we all agree here?

Sure.

There's just quite a bit of evidence that universal background checks wouldn't do anything significant to prevent that but WOULD potentially be a burden on the rights of entirely law abiding folks (and lower income ones especially)

• Love
Reactions: X-pilot
"In short, just because you think I shouldn’t have something, doesn’t mean I need to live by your suggestion."

Correct it is personal opnion and you should not live by it at all. When things become law that would change things a bit and oh the burden of having to wait for a background check is horrible. I mean really having to wait 30 mins for a background check is just not right.

Last edited:
There's just quite a bit of evidence that universal background checks wouldn't do anything significant to prevent that but WOULD potentially be a burden on the rights of entirely law abiding folks (and lower income ones especially)

how would a background check be a burden? Aren’t background checks free? And don’t they take just like 15-30 mins? (I live in Maine, one of the most gun friendly states in the US so perhaps I’m a bit underinformed about other states here)

Reactions: MarsOrBust
how would a background check be a burden? Aren’t background checks free? And don’t they take just like 15-30 mins? (I live in Maine, one of the most gun friendly states in the US so perhaps I’m a bit underinformed about other states here)
It’s usually included in the price of buying a gun from a licensed dealer. But they charge an ffl fee from 20 bucks up to 100 dollars if you, say, were to buy it online and have it shipped to the FFL. This is in Maine btw. Maine also has no law regarding private sales ( but it is incumbent on the seller to make sure they are not selling to a felon - so most transactions go through an FFL even for private sales) criminals are gonna criminal regardless of the law. Also Maine is a constitutional carry state. You don’t need a permit to own or to carry concealed.

(moderator note: I have received a report on this thread. It is not one I follow. Taking a quick look through the last page or so of comments, it appears to me that the discussion is not about storing a firearm in a model 3, but about purchasing firearms in general.

Since it appears that people want to have this discussion, yet it is no longer a "model 3" topic, I am strongly considering moving it to the off topic section (but leaving the thread open). Open to thoughts to the contrary if there are any, or if people think the conversation will return to "storage of a firearm in a model 3". )

Edit: moved thread to off topic section, amended thread title. Left 1 day re-direct so those interested can find thread in off topic section.

Last edited:
I have to assume that you also don’t want guns in the hands of bad or perhaps unstable people like the guy in that video. Don’t we all agree here?

I believe that people should be allowed to buy a frigging military tank if they want. Our society has an issue with blaming objects instead of blaming behaviors, because blaming an object doesn’t make anyone feel uncomfortable. A piece of trash person, is a piece of trash.

never once have any of my “evil” firearms wanted to run out and commit a crime. No ones firearms ever have. So start crucifying criminals instead of feeling pity for them because it makes you feel uncomfortable, and there will start being fewer incidents.

they are not free. Gun shops charge a fee, anywhere from $25-$50 depending on the state. Some may waive the fee, it’s up to the shop because the fee is more of a process service expense for them.

Eh I’m content to stop derailing this thread. I’m not committed to convincing anyone of changing their gun policy views over an internet forum at this time. I do think most people involved in this conversation generally agree however that the guy in that video is a problem and crazies like him are a good reason to find a way to have your firearm accessible in your Tesla. We certainly have more in common than otherwise here.

still waiting on the guy with the foam insert to supply us with his approach :rolleyes:

I believe that people should be allowed to buy a frigging military tank if they want. Our society has an issue with blaming objects instead of blaming behaviors,.

you’ll get no disagreement from me. For example, I believe the NFA should be repealed completely. Mag limit laws are asinine. I just believe in greater screening around first time entry into firearm ownership but I digress, that is a conversation for another time and thread.

they are not free. Gun shops charge a fee, anywhere from $25-$50 depending on the state. Some may waive the fee, it’s up to the shop because the fee is more of a process service expense for them.

Yup.

Even worse, seeing a nice revenue stream some states now add fees they personally pocket on top of what the dealer charges to do the check... and some even add fees requiring a check each time you buy ammo making even target practice harder for those less well off.

It's basically a poll tax but for your 2nd amendment right instead of your right to vote.

Paying $50 in "transfer" fees on top of the cost of a cheap pistol is a pretty hefty tax to exercise your right to self defense.

And given how disproportionate poverty is among minorities these end up discriminating along racial lines too...

(indeed, MOST gun control laws going back over a century were fundamentally racist in origin- things like requiring your local sheriff to approve a purchase or carry permit for a firearm for example and you could be denied simply by him finding you of poor character... and strangely enough the color of your skin seems to highly coincide with such a finding...it's only in the last decade or two most states have moved away from racist policies like that and become "shall issue" instead of "may issue" and some still haven't entirely given it up because they still charge for permits and it's again a nice lazy revenue stream even if it benefits nobody else)

And as mentioned many studies show it has no actual impact on reducing crime...

For example-

A study published in July 2018 found no association between firearm homicide and suicide rates and the repeal of comprehensive background check laws in TN and IN.

An October 2018 study conducted by the Violence Prevention Research Program (VPRP) at UC Davis and the Center for Gun Policy and Research at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health found no change in firearm homicide or suicide rates in the ten years following California's 1991 implementation of comprehensive background checks

(that 2nd one is particularly useful because it uses the 32 states that never had such background checks as a control group to compare against the 10 years before and after the 1991 CA law... often pro-background-check studies will just show a change in a single state that when you step back you realize is reflective of a broader change rather than causative from the background check law)

What I have found is that one can find studies to match whatever worldview one has. Kinda like Doctor shopping till you get the answer you want to hear.

Which suggests the efficacy of the solution in question isn't nearly as obvious or effective as folks seem to suggest.

Objectively effective stuff like say approved vaccines don't really have a lot of "could go either way if they're useful" studies.

What I have found is that one can find studies to match whatever worldview one has. Kinda like Doctor shopping till you get the answer you want to hear.

You're stating the obvious to those of us with phd's (in any field). That's why I said I wasn't even going to go down that road with you, as most "internet experts" don't understand the application or intent of the research study, and instead only see a few key words, then through confirmation bias, attempt to use that as a basis for the debate they had already started.

Just thinking how many times I left my phone charging inside my car... and thus my car still open ready to be driven !!!

Well, better not get involved in any kind of road rage then...

I'm not sure where you live, but I very rarely leave my phone charging in the car unless I'm within eyesight of the car and can get there in a few seconds. Too many crackheads here, and it's a great way to get your car stolen (insurance likely wouldn't cover it since you left the key in the car). Leaving a gun in the car in plain sight would certainly be a bad idea, IMO. Stealing guns is big money, black market prices are 5x fair market value. Whether it's access to your car or guns, I always try to take as much precaution as reasonably possible!

As for road rage, it can go both ways. I'm a 200 pound guy who is 6'4, so generally people leave me alone, but if I was a smaller person or a woman I'd want a firearm to protect myself from said road rage. Sure some people misuse their firearms, but you can say the same for cars, or any other tool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.