Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firearm storage model 3 [and other firearms discussion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Picking the car up on Saturday and curious to see if anyone has pictures of gun holsters and/or can recommend one and a good location in the car to put it.

The original “performance” seats in the model S had a great pocket sewn into the front of the seat.

In the model 3 you may want to look at one of the Hornady rapid safes mounted to the side of the console.

Reactions: Sam1
Someone just recently did a build thread where he had a nice mount off the lower center console. Im trying to find it but not having any luck.

Yup, don't remember which thread though. It was some type of Alien Gear mount that also integrated with the (IWB/OWB?) worn holster. Had to drill/screw into the center console to mount it there. Seemed pretty cool to slide off of waistband and onto console mount though too... Its probably fairly spendy as well...

There is a fairly large compartment under the storage tray under the armrest part of the console and the area forward of the cupholders has an even larger compartment. Both of them are covered so items won't be in plain sight.
the only problem is, it's a lot of digging to get there. if you're in a position where you need it, this will not be ideal.

Vehicle Holster Multi-Mount (no drilling)
81seRRegVcL._SL1459_.jpg

Alien Gear Holster from Upgraded Katzkin leather interior done today
4f5f1810-a60b-483a-a668-293062a2b9a6-jpeg.469428

Also someone used pick and pluck foam to hold his gun, but that didn't seem too sturdy.

I love the storage areas in the center console. I just keep mine sitting pointing forward in my pocket holster in the forward storage bin and with one tap on that cover, the lid pops right open and my hand is right on it, and it is not openly visible that way.

Reactions: glide
Thanks for all the replies. Once I get the car Saturday I will get a better idea from some of your ideas!

And to how often do I need it - its been never and hopefully stays that way. But *IF* I do need it - I will be sure glad I have it. More importantly this is for my wife, where as she could be identified as an easier target than me.

I know this topic has been discussed previously, but I still have not found any concrete answer or solution to storing a firearm in the model 3.

As a law enforcement officer I generally have my offduty carry on my person. While at training today, we had to secure our firearms in our vehicle since firearms and other weapons were not allowed due to what we were doing. Although the glovebox has a setting to be accessed through passcode, I would like a more secure solution. I ended up securing my firearm in my coworkers vehicle where he has a safe installed in the center console. Has anyone found any legitimate ways of mounting a safe (not a holster which has been previously discussed) in the center console or near the driver side area that easy is easily accessible and discrete. This is for times that are situationally based such as being at training like mentioned previously.

I look forward to hearing positive comments from all.

That’s a pretty unlikely laundry list, to be honest. There’s not a lot of room in the console/front cabin to securely mount a safe. You’re likely ultimately going to have to decide between easy access (holster/magnetic mount) or security (safe bolted into sub-trunk).

IMO, if you’re unwilling to keep it on your person, your best bet is to semi-securely lock it up somewhere the average smash & grabber isn’t going to look, but at the cost of accessibility. My money is on a cable lock threaded under the driver’s seat.

I don’t understand the need for so much security — welded/bolted safes?

I’d be willing to wager 99% of guns stolen from cars are either negligently left right out in the open or stored somewhere obvious (glovebox, etc). If nobody knows it’s there and it’s not somewhere that someone is gonna think to look within 30 seconds, you’re gonna be fine. Nobody has time (and tools) to sit in your car and cut a cable lock for a $500 Glock on a whim.

Status
Not open for further replies.