Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firestone couldn't do wheel alignment on Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

viper2ko

Aug 30, 2017
USA
Signed up for the lifetime alignment deal and went in today but they said they couldn't do it because they don't have the special tool to scan something. They said no firestone does wheel alignment on Tesla. Anyone know what the SC charges and will they deny me if I have third party tires?

Sounds like a crappy excuse to me. Alignment is mechanical, not electrical. There is nothing to scan or interface with on the car other than the bolts that adjust the alignment. Since you've already paid for the service, I'd ask Firestone for a better explanation of what they want to "scan" on the car when putting your car on the alignment rack. Why would they sell you a service they say they cannot perform? If anything, I'd get my money back.

Alignment has nothing to do with your wheels or tires so it should not matter to your SC if you go there. I'd instead get my money back from Firestone and find another independent shop. Any shop with an alignment rack should be able to align a Tesla just like any other car.

I wouldn't expect any alignment problem with third party tires. After all Tesla doesn't make tires. Third party rims on the other hand they either will not do or will require you to sign a document that says they are not responsible if they damage them. That also applies to tire rotations. That part works great for me because I don't ever want my tires rotated since they are directional tires.

If I remember correctly from a conversation with a Goodyear store manager while back...
They are able to measure the alignment with no issue, but to make the alignment adjustments, some panels underneath the vehicle need to be removed to allow access which can be time consuming for the technician.
He said they could do, but recommended taking to Tesla for the alignment since they are more experienced with removing/installing the panels on a daily basis.

Reactions: croman
Signed up for the lifetime alignment deal and went in today but they said they couldn't do it because they don't have the special tool to scan something. They said no firestone does wheel alignment on Tesla. Anyone know what the SC charges and will they deny me if I have third party tires?

Had alignment done by a local shop and indeed they’ll need to take off a cover to adjust the rear wheels. Not a big deal, instructions are usually provided in the alignment machines. For small adjustments this approach will usually suffice.

Tesla’s own procedure is more extensive and requires toolkit (Tesla’s own software) to verify that the steering wheel is positioned at exactly 0.0 degrees. When you run into more serious alignment issues you’re better off going to Tesla. In my case the local shop could not help me and I ended up in a SC where they found one of the fore links had a worn out rubber. Replaced the fore link, realigned and problem solved.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud

Just had my car aligned at 13,500miles. Inner and outer edges of front tires showed some cupping, so I took it in and had them realign. Toe was out.

Alignment cost was $113. I’m in the metro-Atlanta area.

37BAAD71-C911-49D3-B28F-D57D1BD35E52.jpeg

In comparison, local shops in the area are around $100-135 for a 4wheel alignment. Tesla’s rate was very competitive.

Just had my car aligned at 13,500miles. Inner and outer edges of front tires showed some cupping, so I took it in and had them realign. Toe was out.

View attachment 628105

In comparison, local shops in the area are around $100-135 for a 4wheel alignment. Tesla’s rate was very competitive.
Devon, PA service center quoted me about twice that amount.

No special tool is needed. I have lifetime alignment at Firestone Complete Auto Care (not the same company as Firestone).

In case anyone is wondering the rear panel needs to be removed, it absolutely does and says so in the FSM. It's impossible to properly torque the control arm bushing. Alignment shops remove it. Tesla removes it. If someone thinks they saw this then, either 1) the alignment didn't actually adjust the rear, 2) they didn't use a torque wrench, or 3) the person who saw it got the front and rear of the car confused.

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 5.55.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 5.55.44 PM.png

Last edited:
No panels need to be removed..I watched him do it on all 4 wheels...unless you are an alignment guy...stop BS your lies

That's a little aggressive. It is possible your alignment found the rear numbers within spec, so no adjustment was necessary. Of course it is possible anyone could pay for an alignment, and all numbers are in spec, and no adjustments are made, but the customer still pays for the alignment because the alignment was still "done".

Post your alignment before/after printout results here to see if the rear toe was adjusted or not.

View attachment 628105

They is very reasonable. I put in a service request to get the price but I'm expecting double what you paid.

Post your alignment before/after printout results here to see if the rear toe was adjusted or not.
For those TMC'ers that aren't necessarily "car guys," it's always a good idea to get a before and after printout of your car's alignment. Most good shops now days will do this automatically. If they don't, it's a bit of a red flag in my book.

It also doesn't hurt to know the book specs for your car's alignment. Compare the "after" chart, and make sure it's within range.

Very helpful thread, gents, thank you.

For those TMC'ers that aren't necessarily "car guys," it's always a good idea to get a before and after printout of your car's alignment. Most good shops now days will do this automatically. If they don't, it's a bit of a red flag in my book.

It also doesn't hurt to know the book specs for your car's alignment. Compare the "after" chart, and make sure it's within range.

Very helpful thread, gents, thank you.

Absolutely regarding the print out!

Just an FYI - Tesla will not give you a print out unless you ask. Service advisor was surprised when I asked for it.