Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firestone couldn't do wheel alignment on Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla won't do my alignment even if I wanted them to. I have aftermarket adjustable upper control arms so my rear camber can be adjusted. Tesla won't touch a car with these.

i-Fk2tPbb-XL.jpg

They also won't touch my car because it's lowered 1" with my 3d printed sensor links. Now my car isn't REALLY lowered. It's just lowered to what factory stock was in 2014 before Tesla raised all our cars an inch with a software update to try and mitigate battery strikes but in the process caused all dual motor cars to destroy their front CV shafts by increasing the angle by 3.6 degrees.

i-RTRtQHC-X3.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 4.20.44 PM.png

And lastly, they won't do my alignment to my specs. They'll only do them to factory specs which is a fairly wide range. My requirements are fairly exact.

Firestone doesn't like to do it but they do because I tell them if they give me any pushback that I'll just keep bringing the car back until they spend the extra 25% time it takes to get it just right.

Last edited:
Ugh... I just went through the same BS with my Model 3 at a Firestone.

I originally called one nearby location only to be told that they didn’t have a “new enough rack” to align a Model 3, but they told me that another Firestone location several towns over could do it. I called and the manager confirmed they could do it, so I made an appointment.

Fast forward... they do the alignment check no problem, but then their computer system flashes some warning telling them not to proceed with the alignment. The manager apologizes and tries his best to explain why they can’t do it... something about camera and steering angle calibrations that they can’t do. He said it would be unsafe to do the alignment without these calibrations and the car could drive itself off the road. 🙄🙄🙄

I mentioned that I had read plenty of accounts of other non-Tesla shops doing alignments without issues, but he wasn’t going to budge so I didn’t argue too much.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Phlier
There are some procedures run after an alignment that the shops dont have. However in our expierence a good alignment will get the car aligned and drives fine without the tesla listed software procedures.

Anybody have any details on these procedures?

If I understood what the procedures are, maybe I could (A) be comfortable not having them done and (B) convince an alignment shop manager that they’re not necessary either.

Anybody have any details on these procedures?

If I understood what the procedures are, maybe I could (A) be comfortable not having them done and (B) convince an alignment shop manager that they’re not necessary either.
You’ll need Tesla Toolbox to calibrate the steering wheel angle. There are some suspension things as well. Its in the manual which you can find online.

Signed up for the lifetime alignment deal and went in today but they said they couldn't do it because they don't have the special tool to scan something. They said no firestone does wheel alignment on Tesla. Anyone know what the SC charges and will they deny me if I have third party tires?
Hope they didn't charge for the signup. If so, did they refund you?
Tesla’s own software) to verify that the steering wheel is positioned at exactly 0.0 degrees. When you run into more serious alignment issues you’re better off going to Tesla. In my case the local shop could not help me and I ended up in a SC where they found one of the fore links had a worn out rubber. Replaced the fore link, realigned and problem solved.
Not that many people use this but scanmytesla using an OBD reader off the can buss will display the degree of the wheel.
I have the Firestone lifetime alignment and get my 90D aligned 2x/year in Natick MA when they swap out the winter/summer tires for $9.99. They give me a printout everytime - no problems yet.
This is good to hear. Not often you can locate a cooperative Firestone.

• Informative
Reactions: Gtech
If I remember correctly from a conversation with a Goodyear store manager while back...
They are able to measure the alignment with no issue, but to make the alignment adjustments, some panels underneath the vehicle need to be removed to allow access which can be time consuming for the technician.
He said they could do, but recommended taking to Tesla for the alignment since they are more experienced with removing/installing the panels on a daily basis.

That dude seriously needs to hand in his mechanic's card, and his man card too, if he can't handle removing a few screws on a plastic tray.

But the reality is that only the laziest mechanics are approved to do alignments for a living. They have a special book of excuses they are supposed to use to explain why they didn't do the alignment correctly.

When you run into more serious alignment issues you’re better off going to Tesla.

Yeah? Tesla completed screwed the pooch on setting my alignment correctly (measurements were out of spec and the steering wheel was very crooked) plus they forgot to put the screws back for the rear tray so it popped down on the freeway at 70mph and I got to walk home with the family.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Yeah? Tesla completed screwed the pooch on setting my alignment correctly (measurements were out of spec and the steering wheel was very crooked) plus they forgot to put the screws back for the rear tray so it popped down on the freeway at 70mph and I got to walk home with the family.
I can't argue with that obviously, let's all never go to Tesla SC's again ;)

Reactions: dark cloud
Considering that Tesla charges $300+ for alignments in my area, I reached out to 4 Firestone locations in Orange County, but 3 stores are unwilling to do the alignment. The Orange location has the newest equipment. The operator will input the vehicle VIN in the alignment computer, but the computer systems will warn against aligning a Tesla with electronic steering. Furthermore, Firestone cannot calibrate the autopilot sensors to the alignment specs, so they claim that only Tesla should be doing the alignment. The Laguna Hills store said that they align Teslas all the time and made my appointment. However, I wonder:

1) Will all Firestones eventually upgrade to the newest alignment machines which warns against aligning Teslas?

2) Alignment service (especially the lifetime deal) is a loss leader to upsell you on oil changes, etc. What's preventing Firestone corporate from deciding that it makes more business sense to stop offering alignments on Teslas?

Last edited:
1) Will all Firestones eventually upgrade to the newest alignment machines which warns against aligning Teslas?

2) Alignment service (especially the lifetime deal) is a loss leader to upsell you on oil changes, etc. What's preventing Firestone corporate from deciding that it makes more business sense to stop offering alignments on Teslas?
Shops needs to buy expensive firmware to work with Tesla. It's a bogus warning to discourage non-Tesla shops from doing alignments. It's a monopoly for Tesla. Unless Firestone has National policy, we'll continue to see variations.

Like most things Tesla, best not to talk in absolutes. I’ve never had to ask for a printout, it’s always just been sitting on the seat waiting for me when I pick the car up.
Yep, I was handed the printouts when they did the alignment as part of the most recent regular service. They even quickly went over it with me advising me when would be a good idea to replace my tires.