Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firm Brake Press Initiates Hold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen the hold feature invoked under auto-pilot? Was driving our new X yesterday in stop and go traffic on a highway and at least 3-4 times the hold feature was invoked while under auto-pilot control without a brake press. Had never seen this on our Model S. It didn't happen every time the car stopped (only 3-4 times) but it was annoying since it was unexpected.

Has anyone seen the hold feature invoked under auto-pilot? Was driving our new X yesterday in stop and go traffic on a highway and at least 3-4 times the hold feature was invoked while under auto-pilot control without a brake press. Had never seen this on our Model S. It didn't happen every time the car stopped (only 3-4 times) but it was annoying since it was unexpected.

I am not sure what invoke the "auto-HOLD". I have noted it, but don't know when/where/why it happens. It doesn't happen that often (and I use AP quite a bit). When I am ready to go, I just tap the gas and AP picks back up.

The hold mode you're referring to is different than the one discussed previously in this thread. The previously discussed mode initiated by a brake press shows an H in a circle in the upper right of the dash and pressing on the accelerator results in normal driving. This one says the word "HOLD" in the middle top of the display and pressing on the accelerator resumes AutoPilot or TACC (depending on which you were in). When TACC first came out (before auto-steer) it would enter hold mode frequently. It would happen after stopped for either 10 or 30 seconds depending on the conditions. More recently, the only time I see this hold mode is when I enable AP just as the car is slowing down. When it stops, after a couple of seconds, Hold is activated and you have to press on the accelerator to resume.

Thanks for the replies. I had been driving the Model S with AP for over a year in stop and go traffic during the morning commute and I had never seen this behavior. In my previous experience, the Model S would slow to a stop and it would move when the car in front of me moved. I had never seen it display the Hold symbol and indicate that an accelerator press was required to continue.

• Informative
Reactions: loganintx