Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firming up the Brake Pedal on Legacy S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Aggmeister2010

Dec 26, 2018
SE USA
Hey folks,

I have never really liked the pedal feel on my P90D. The brakes work fine, but the pedal travel before it gets really heavy on the brakes is a more than it was in previous performance cars. It also never really gets “firm” like on my old M5….the real road feel isn’t there.

I always attributed this to drive by wire and the Bosch iBooster, but I’m curious if anyone has any suggestions on how to firm up the pedal a bit.

Currently I have EBC 2 piece rotors and StopTech sport pads with OEM calipers. I had the SC flush my brakes last year, but I intend to reflush it myself with wilwood high temp fluid in a week or so.

I believe the 'anti rattle clips' on top of the brake pads are not only to stop rattles but also to push the brake pads back just a little bit more back then usual to get less rolling resistance. You could try to remove them to see if it gives the firm pedal you are looking for. Maybe you can modify them so that you only get the anti rattle but not the extra 'push back'

s-l400 (3).jpg

Or get steel braided brake lines that will help also to get a more firm brake pedal

I believe the 'anti rattle clips' on top of the brake pads are not only to stop rattles but also to push the brake pads back just a little bit more back then usual to get less rolling resistance. You could try to remove them to see if it gives the firm pedal you are looking for. Maybe you can modify them so that you only get the anti rattle but not the extra 'push back'

View attachment 838017

Or get steel braided brake lines that will help also to get a more firm brake pedal

Got a source on steel braided lines? I can’t find them anywhere for the S

Got a source on steel braided lines? I can’t find them anywhere for the S
Yes and no, I know some company's will create custom brake lines with your own specifications, only backside is you need to source the length and type of fittings yourself.

I never really had to stand on the brakes with our 2016 90D, until late last May. Then, a guy pulled over and stopped without warning on a narrow road -- we were all going fast and then suddenly he wasn't. I stood hard on the brakes and sailed right into him, airbags out, insurance totaled the car and of course my fault since it was rear-end. I was stunned by how weak the brakes are -- or were, I should say. The other modern performance cars I've owned or driven have always just sat right down and stopped without nose dive or other fuss. A very expensive lesson for me in Tesla brake deficiency.