Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 1.20.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meaning it forces you to pick a new password? And then that password is the new password for both user and installer logins, or just for installer logins? I assume the password change doesn't affect Tesla's ability to remote update or reconfigure the Powerwalls?

It actually generates the password for you. This password is for just for the installer login. The wizard also gives you the opportunity to set a user password. You get to pick that one.

Tesla uses a completely separate mechanism to do the remote configuration. The Web UI is only for installers, as far as I can tell.

Has anyone successfully imported the self-signed certificate on a Chromebook? I have it imported/showing up in the list for Authorities, but the browser still shows a NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID error and you can't bypass it like you can on the desktop.

Has anyone successfully imported the self-signed certificate on a Chromebook?
No, so this advice may not help, but it might.

When using powershell on windows, you need to have both imported the certificate, but also set up a hosts entry so that powerwall resolves to the powerwall IP address - because the certificate is for a hostname of powerwall (and a couple of others I can't remember - they're listed in the SAN field of the cert). Alternatively, if you connect to the TEG WiFi network, you'll be accessing it on one of the IP addresses included in the SAN and it should just work.

I've made my displeasure known to Tesla and have told them I require it to be turned back on. I've also pointed out to them that Consumer Affairs laws in Australia don't allow companies to remove functionality from a product after you have paid for it. I'm giving them 2 weeks to sort it out, them I'm taking them to my state Consumer Affairs Tribunal. They need to realise they don't own the Powerwall, I do.

They have turned mine off too - how did the conversation with Tesla Support go, did they restore your access?

They have turned mine off too - how did the conversation with Tesla Support go, did they restore your access?

All the evidence now is that this a bug, not a deliberate action on the part of Tesla. You should get the connection back if you reset your gateway, either by pressing the reset button, if it has one, or by turning the powerwall off, and powering everything down, including solar, for ten minutes or so.

I doubt that 1.21.0 will resolve this because as far as I know, Tesla have not yet figured out what's wrong.

It can be difficult to determine whether one's managed to reset the gateway. Might be worth calling up support and asking them to reboot it remotely. They may be willing.

Thanks to the info posted here by Sylvia, I reset my gateway and got access back again. I haven't talked to Tesla since my first contact. There's still some weirdness with gateway access going on in my network, but the machines that matter have access, so I'm hoping it will keep working.

Although I've got access back, there's still strange stuff going on. At the moment, my powerwall is draining, even though it's below the reserve threshold, and there's no grid outage.

Tomorrow, I'll be suggesting to Tesla Australia that it's time to downgrade me to the working firmware until they figure out what's wrong with the new code.

At the moment, my powerwall is draining, even though it's below the reserve threshold, and there's no grid outage.

I've done some experiments that suggest to me that not every attempt to set the reserve level is honoured. It says it's changed it, but it looks as if it's maintining an internal reserve level which only gets altered if the last change wasn't too recent. This is consistent with my earlier observation that although it drained below the set level, it stopped draining at the earlier set level. It's notable that the powerwall doesn't stop, pending a commit, if the new reserve level isn't going to take effect.

Hard to believe that this is a bug.

I'm losing confidence that these issues can be resolved outside court.

I asked Tesla Australia to restore the previous firmware. They haven't come back to me on that.

If anyone else is regularly changing the reserve level to control their powerwall, and finds that that still works on firmware 1.20.0, perhaps they could comment.

Sylvia.

I've done some experiments that suggest to me that not every attempt to set the reserve level is honoured. It says it's changed it, but it looks as if it's maintining an internal reserve level which only gets altered if the last change wasn't too recent. This is consistent with my earlier observation that although it drained below the set level, it stopped draining at the earlier set level. It's notable that the powerwall doesn't stop, pending a commit, if the new reserve level isn't going to take effect.

Hard to believe that this is a bug.

I'm losing confidence that these issues can be resolved outside court.

I asked Tesla Australia to restore the previous firmware. They haven't come back to me on that.

If anyone else is regularly changing the reserve level to control their powerwall, and finds that that still works on firmware 1.20.0, perhaps they could comment.

Sylvia.

Are you waiting some time before checking the settings have changed? I remember reading that it can take up to an hour for mobile app changes be sent to server and then sync back to the gateway to be reflected in the behaviour.