Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 1.50.1 Breaks Automation using API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't log in as installer without physically toggling switch on powerwall.

Telsa, if you're paying attention (we know you sort of are, because you've made this change) - the reason we log in as installer is to automate mode changes because your options don't work with our tariff - because you don't support our rate structure.

Luckily it is a public holiday for me today in Melbourne, so I can spend / waste the day fixing my automation to minimise my grid cost.

From what I can tell I can no longer login as installer 1.50.1

the installer login not requires the user to toggle their power switch which appears targeted at shutting down automation. Start the riot cause this is angering!

this kills my automation scripts which require installer login.

DF3860D4-82F3-46AA-9D98-236CA664CE3C.jpeg

Okay I got the script somewhat working although I think the fix is brittle, we'll see if it lasts for days:
I had to login as installer on the UI
Track the network traffic, my findings are the UI calls:
Some login toggle API:
It polls that API then waits for the user to go toggle power
After the user toggle power
The Basic Login API returns a token.
I copied and pasted the token into my code and and had to adjust timeout from 2,5 to like 20,50
Appears login takes more time now
If this fix survives will be thankful but somewhat doubtful

Tesla probably made this change intentionally to prevent you guys from doing exactly this :(

The change feels very targeted to us power users, but they will not prevail
Gilbert Solar and Blueice89 are working hard to break this down.

So far my finding is if you toggle the power you will get a token.
Not 100% sure how long lived the token is but hopefully it realizes that if I use that token again it will let me get new -renewed tokens from it.

WE do this because Tesla Powerwall Software and its Algorithm is not sufficient for our use cases.
SRP Arizona we have multiple peaks.
THe software from Tesla only allows one peak.

Our hacks allow;
SRP has double peaks (5am-9am) and (5pm-9pm)
4:45am - go to to time of use mode to catch the 5am peak
9:00am - go to back up mode to reserve battery
4:45pm - go to time of use mode to catch 5pm peak
9:05pm - go to back up mode to reserve battery

Can't log in as installer without physically toggling switch on powerwall.

Telsa, if you're paying attention (we know you sort of are, because you've made this change) - the reason we log in as installer is to automate mode changes because your options don't work with our tariff - because you don't support our rate structure.

Luckily it is a public holiday for me today in Melbourne, so I can spend / waste the day fixing my automation to minimise my grid cost.
I would be curious what type of fixes you make as well. I found a short term work around by copying tokens around, but curious what. you find.

I don’t think Tesla did this change to break automaton - it would seem to me to be a security upgrade - kinda makes it impossible for a “remote-only” attack/access as admin…

it’s a pain - I agree - but so would be hacked remote admin access - I think Tesla should support automation - and they should do it via a secure token that can be ‘granted’ to the automation scripts - acquisition of this token via the admin interface would require the normal admin login sequence (with poweroff) but after the token is granted it would be secure and automated…

in the mean time it sucks that it is this way - but I’m sure Tesla had a reason for doing this that goes beyond just screwing with us.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I don’t think Tesla did this change to break automaton - it would seem to me to be a security upgrade - kinda makes it impossible for a “remote-only” attack/access as admin…

it’s a pain - I agree - but so would be hacked remote admin access - I think Tesla should support automation - and they should do it via a secure token that can be ‘granted’ to the automation scripts - acquisition of this token via the admin interface would require the normal admin login sequence (with poweroff) but after the token is granted it would be secure and automated…

in the mean time it sucks that it is this way - but I’m sure Tesla had a reason for doing this that goes beyond just screwing with us.

this api is accessed locally you have to address the server as 192.168.x.x the address is only available to your local network. So why would you add toggling power on and odd egg every time on your local WiFi network. It is not exposed at all to the outside internet only intranet.

Does the non-Installer login give API access? It doesn't ask for power-switch toggle, and still lets people change modes/etc via the web-UI (when it originally didn't iirc).

I'd migrated all of my automation couple months ago to use the Owner/App API since it no longer has lag, and everything works just fine. Though I still can't figure out how to control Storm Watch yet.

Does the non-Installer login give API access? It doesn't ask for power-switch toggle, and still lets people change modes/etc via the web-UI (when it originally didn't iirc).

I'd migrated all of my automation couple months ago to use the Owner/App API since it no longer has lag, and everything works just fine. Though I still can't figure out how to control Storm Watch yet.

You will soon find out they broke the old owner APP APIs too :(
Tesla API -> Oauth2 and MFA · Issue #981 · adriankumpf/teslamate

• Helpful
Reactions: NuShrike