TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Firmware 12.1.1

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, May 1, 2019.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I updated to 12.1.1 last night and so far I've noticed some marked improvements in AP for my commute.
    First, the car handles poorly marked lines much better. During my commute, there is a stretch of the 405S freeway just north of the 101 freeway where, in the carpool lane, the leftmost lines are terrible- Fading, erratic, and hardly visible. AP has always notified me in this area and required that I put my hands on the wheel because AP wasn't sure what was going on with the lane markings. It was evident when the blue lines were dancing like crazy as it tried to figure out what it was seeing why it required me to do this. Well, today with 12.1.1, I got completely past that area and only then did I realize that it didn't ask for any help! I also was feeling asking AP to make lane changes was quicker and more confident and the steering, in general, was smoother and more confident. Keeping my hand on the wheel, it was smooth and accurate. Once AP made it past the poorly painted lane markings without asking for help, I decided that my other observations weren't placebo but actual improvements. I'll report back if it makes it through the poorly painted lane markings again tomorrow and I'll watch to see if the blue lines are dancing...I'll also double check that Cal Trans hasn't improved the markings (yeah, right), but I'm 99% sure by the time I noticed, it was still poorly marked.

• Informative x 11
    • Helpful x 1
  2. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

Glad to know that I'm not the only one! I just got that update last night and drove past that exact same area this morning.

It's usually not as bad at high speeds but can sometimes be outright scary in stop and go traffic. My Model 3 in AutoPilot was able to tackle that section like a champ this morning! Haven't tried lane changes as of yet today, but I'll see if they've also improved for me on my way back from work tonight.

• Like x 1
  3. wallyttttt

wallyttttt Member

Also backup camera came up almost instantly after I switch to reverse.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  4. GPinzone

GPinzone Member

I upgraded from 8.5 and I swear the acceleration is better. The autopilot steering time between wheel "nudges" seem shorter. I'm getting more warnings.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

the acceleration in stop and go traffic is still woefully inadequate. on the way home today, got cut off twice in a row while allowing EAP to handle the stop and go parts. I guess it's back to keeping my foot near the accelerator.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  6. TomB985

TomB985 Member

I upgraded the 12.1 this morning, and I noticed the same thing immediately. My car is doing much better job dealing with lane markers, particularly with two lane roads divide into turn lanes. My audio quality, which I always thought was mediocre in my SR+, seems to be a little bit better as well.… Not sure if that has anything to do with the update or not.

7. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Haven't received my update alert yet but see from Teslafi this has been going out quite widely and rapidly. Before 4/28 no updates; 4/28 - 166; 4/29 - 586; 4/30 - 1082; 5/1 today - 635.

8. thewishmaster

thewishmaster Member

Haven't noticed any major AP improvements in my brief half hour drive last night with 12.1.1, but I did find one small bug - I wasn't able to turn off the dashcam for some reason. I did a long press on the dashcam icon and saw a "turning off" animation as usual, the red light on the icon turned off, but it came right back. I tried a few times and gave up.

9. Hkbruin

Hkbruin Member

My AC wouldn’t turn on unless I hit Auto once. Then it all started working.

My display shows artifacts of other graphics on the screen so I have to reboot it for it to disappear.

10. bluemalibu

bluemalibu Member

On the freeway near me the on ramps don't have dot lane markers on them. Before this update AP would try and center between the left side lane line and the right side lane line which was nearly 2 lanes over (because of the missing markings) - causing me to take over most times. This update handles that much better and now don't need to take over. Also does much better in stop and go traffic.

• Informative x 1
  11. Dmagyar

Dmagyar Member

Tried the lane change feature today with 12.1.1, while on auto pilot, like how the lane markers start showing segmentation prior to the lane change, hadn’t noticed that prior, worked fine...

12. MMBTUS

MMBTUS Member

Maybe they finally fixed the file save bug that corrupted clips saved if the drive was not paused before removal? Pausing no longer necessary?

13. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

There was either a map update or new speed sign functionality. My longstanding 20 miles of wrong speed limit data is fixed!!!!

Tesla just unlocked 1/2 my commute for Autopilot! I will make a sacrifice to the Old Gods in the godswood for my great fortune.
    :)

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  14. thewishmaster

thewishmaster Member

H
    Heh, I’ll test it more next time. Also need to see if it fixes the corruption with the right repeater camera but only in sentry mode.

15. aspec818

aspec818 Member

what do you mean ap asked for help? did it return the standard hands on wheel message that pops up if your hands are off?

16. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Active Member

12.1.1 is neat! I try move to the left in the carpool lane for motorcycles to pass/lane split on the right, which usually involves me pulling enough to the left to disengage Autosteer and riding a bit to the left of the left lane marker.

Anyhow, long story short, when I did that today I swore the wheel actually fought back a little and a notification about departing the roadway or something similar popped up. Very interesting and very cool.

• Like x 1
  17. JBT66

JBT66 Member

I'll definitely be checking this for mine tomorrow!

18. Lostb0y

Lostb0y Member

I recently had a loaner model S with AP1 and I couldn’t believe how well it did compared to my M3. Just like you, pretty much had to avoid the right lane. I noticed improvements as well after 12.1.1.

• Helpful x 1
  19. argon2018

argon2018 Member

This update is solid, with every update we can see the light at the end of the tunnel (FSD detecting stop signs street lights.. ). The auto wiper is almost perfect. Neural net is awesome. Gluck to other companies, Tesla is years ahead. The only competition I can think of is Apple or Google if they come out with their own car. But that’s not gonna be for another couple of years in Apples case.

To put things in perspective, Apple
    With all their might, delayed a wireless charger for 2 years and they ended up cancelling it altogether. People complain that Tesla is late on their promise of FSD. One thing is for certain, FSD is coming this winter :)

• Like x 2
  20. MacGreiner

Looks like 12.1.2 is up now.

• Like x 2