Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 12.1.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This update is solid, with every update we can see the light at the end of the tunnel (FSD detecting stop signs street lights.. ). The auto wiper is almost perfect.

I noticed the same thing with the wipers, BUT it seemed they had to calibrate or something before they straightened up and flew right. Shortly after the 12.1.1 upgrade (AP2) I did a 15-mi drive in the rain where the auto wipers seemed to have schizophrenia. They sensed the rain, but a light mist was making them go at high speed. I had to go to manual and then back down to low sensitivity to get anything like normal, but the speed was still inappropriate and jerky. I finally turned them off and went to manual mode, clicking the stalk-end switch when I needed one swipe.
On the return trip, there was none of that. After parking and then resuming the drive, they functioned better than ever, with appropriate speed and none of the jerky changes in speed or frequency that I've had ever since auto wipers were enabled.

I updated to 12.1.1 last night and so far I've noticed some marked improvements in AP for my commute.
First, the car handles poorly marked lines much better. During my commute, there is a stretch of the 405S freeway just north of the 101 freeway where, in the carpool lane, the leftmost lines are terrible- Fading, erratic, and hardly visible. AP has always notified me in this area and required that I put my hands on the wheel because AP wasn't sure what was going on with the lane markings. It was evident when the blue lines were dancing like crazy as it tried to figure out what it was seeing why it required me to do this. Well, today with 12.1.1, I got completely past that area and only then did I realize that it didn't ask for any help! I also was feeling asking AP to make lane changes was quicker and more confident and the steering, in general, was smoother and more confident. Keeping my hand on the wheel, it was smooth and accurate. Once AP made it past the poorly painted lane markings without asking for help, I decided that my other observations weren't placebo but actual improvements. I'll report back if it makes it through the poorly painted lane markings again tomorrow and I'll watch to see if the blue lines are dancing...I'll also double check that Cal Trans hasn't improved the markings (yeah, right), but I'm 99% sure by the time I noticed, it was still poorly marked.

I've got the latest update 12.1.2 in our Tesla Model 3 which has the Enhanced Auto Pilot (EAP) feature, though not FSD. I have not noticed the improvements that others seemed to have noticed. In fact it downright scared me on California 152 westbound between Los Banos and Gilroy. We were westbound going up the Pacheco Pass in the right lane with EAP engaged on a bright, clear morning. There was a curve to the right going up the hill and a car in the left lane was pulling up beside us as we started into the curve. As the Tesla was making the curve it started slowly moving left toward the divider line between the left lane (number 1 lane) and our lane (number 2 lane) and got so close to the other vehicle that I thought we were going to side-swipe it. The autopilot freaked out and made the "HOLY CRAP" alarm noise and told me to take control, which I did, since my hands were on the wheel anyway. Not a good experience. FYI, the car and windows were all freshly washed so it wasn't an issue where maybe the cameras had poor visibility.

I updated to 12.1.1 last night and so far I've noticed some marked improvements in AP for my commute.
First, the car handles poorly marked lines much better. During my commute, there is a stretch of the 405S freeway just north of the 101 freeway where, in the carpool lane, the leftmost lines are terrible- Fading, erratic, and hardly visible. AP has always notified me in this area and required that I put my hands on the wheel because AP wasn't sure what was going on with the lane markings. It was evident when the blue lines were dancing like crazy as it tried to figure out what it was seeing why it required me to do this. Well, today with 12.1.1, I got completely past that area and only then did I realize that it didn't ask for any help! I also was feeling asking AP to make lane changes was quicker and more confident and the steering, in general, was smoother and more confident. Keeping my hand on the wheel, it was smooth and accurate. Once AP made it past the poorly painted lane markings without asking for help, I decided that my other observations weren't placebo but actual improvements. I'll report back if it makes it through the poorly painted lane markings again tomorrow and I'll watch to see if the blue lines are dancing...I'll also double check that Cal Trans hasn't improved the markings (yeah, right), but I'm 99% sure by the time I noticed, it was still poorly marked.
I noticed the improved lane change, but didn't connect it to the software upgrade because I had changed to Mad Max mode and attributed it to that.

Just wanted to pass on useful info I saw weeks ago on a Tesla forum thread...
Rather than touch or squeeze the steering wheel to remind the software you are there...
Just scroll the volume wheel a notch... works great and easy for me....

I just rest my hand at 8 o’clock and that puts enough torque on the wheel to satisfy it. Then you don’t need to keep looking at the screen on when to turn the volume wheel.

Got 12.1.1 earlier this week, then went on a long trip down the I-5. I have always disliked how my TM3 hard swerves to the right to try to fit into the middle of an entrance ramp lane merging into the freeway. Dangerous and scary to other drivers. As of this update, I notice this change - if the merge lane has arrows (pointing to the left) up the length of the merge lane, the TM3 stayed in its own lane and didn't try to move in to the widened space. But if the merge lane has no arrows, it still (crazily) moves toward the right a DUI driver.
One other thing that happened yesterday. My car is set to change lanes automatically when on navigate on autopilot. I was prompted and confirmed to change from middle to far left lane to pass car ahead of me. Out of the blue, the car behind me suddenly accelerated and moved into the left lane. My car, apparently untroubled by this, started to make the lane change right into the car that had now quickly moved into the same lane. I had to grab the wheel and return to my original lane. I wonder if the car would have completed this lane change, causing a major crash.

Just wanted to pass on useful info I saw weeks ago on a Tesla forum thread...
Rather than touch or squeeze the steering wheel to remind the software you are there...
Just scroll the volume wheel a notch... works great and easy for me....

I took my Mid Range M3 in to the service center (for multiple issues) and was told its not pressure to the steering wheel that the car need to verify you are paying attention. Now it's a slight rotation of the steering wheel. The technician drove with me in my car and showed me that if you just pull the steering wheel very lightly (not even enough to turn the wheels) the notification will go away. He further stated the reason tesla made the change was due to owners using stress balls jammed into the steering wheel to avoid placing their hands on the wheel. The verbiage on the notification is incorrect now due to the update.
The way you rest your hand on the steering wheel should apply downward force on the steering wheel and cause it to turn slightly so the notification won't show up.

From a May 3 BGR article- New software update!
Lane Departure Avoidance lets a driver elect to have corrective steering applied in order to keep them in their intended lane. When the feature is in use and a driver is departing a lane without their turn signal on, the car will also check to see whether a driver’s hands are on the wheel. If a driver’s hands are not detected on the wheel, the driver will receive a series of hands-on reminders and alerts, similar to the ones that our cars provide to customers who use Autopilot. If a driver’s hands are repeatedly not detected on the wheel when Traffic Aware Cruise Control is in use, their car will gradually slow down to 15 miles below the speed limit or below the car’s set speed and turn its hazard lights on.

You’re lucky Model 3 owners, my model S was build 2017 FSD 2.5 and still in software V8, no updates.
Your lack of update to V9.0 is not right. Something is wrong. Remember, a Tesla needs to be connected to WiFi in order for a Tesla to pull down the latest software push from Tesla. I would start by checking my WiFi connection and possibly even delete and recreate it. If it isn't too inconvenient you could also schedule a service center visit to correct the matter and besides there might be something else wrong.

Reactions: Onyx M3
So is it clear now that enhanced auto pilot will not get any stop light recognition? Since 2019.8.5 on my model 3, the release notes said that the vehicle “may warn you if it senses you are about to run a red light”, I didn’t see any indication of stop light recognition in the auto steering screen as I saw in some videos, and now I got the 2019.12.1.2, and still nothing, I was wondering if the “may warn you” means not all stop lights are in the database, including everywhere I have driven so far, or I might as well give up if I don’t have FSD

So is it clear now that enhanced auto pilot will not get any stop light recognition? Since 2019.8.5 on my model 3, the release notes said that the vehicle “may warn you if it senses you are about to run a red light”, I didn’t see any indication of stop light recognition in the auto steering screen as I saw in some videos, and now I got the 2019.12.1.2, and still nothing, I was wondering if the “may warn you” means not all stop lights are in the database, including everywhere I have driven so far, or I might as well give up if I don’t have FSD

My LR RWD with EAP and without FSD has stop light warnings. I tested it and verified that I did get an alert. It’s a very late alert to avoid nuisance alerts. The time I tested it, the alert came right as I chickened out and hit the brakes, assuming it wasn’t going to trigger.

It seems like it’s strictly an optical recognition of the light. I don’t believe they have to map that there is a stop light at the intersection. You don’t have to activate it. The feature is always on. Just play chicken with a stop light, but not somewhere that you’ll frighten a driver in cross traffic that sees you speeding towards a red light.

With the previous version I had a few random resets while driving so installed this update as soon as I saw one available (last night) but not sure it was a good idea. The autopilot didn’t work the whole day today, even a reset didn’t help. Will try disabling and reenabling autosteer to see if that starts working... not a happy camper at the moment

Well, now that I'm on 2019.12.1.2, I have to RETRACT many of my own compliments to AP!
It appears, to me, that 12.1.2 has backed out many of the improvements I was praising in 12.1.1. Specifically, the lane detection and lane changes appear to be back to pre-12.1.1. I suspect that whatever bug fix they very quickly applied as 12.1.2 came from a different branch that didn't have the AP improvements I was so happy to see. Who knows, but this is my observation and I am sad to say!