Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 17.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I brought my 100D in for its annual service and it stated in the report that "as a goodwill service the 100D was updated to firmware 17.24 to increase performance." The service manager said the update was sensed when the car was placed into service. She could not explain how this update differs from those sent over WiFi to my home.

The only difference that I noticed when driving home is that the car would no longer change lanes to the left on the interstate highway while using TACC. Does anybody else have experience with this update? My last WiFi update was 2018.24.1 12dd099.

It is pretty normal for your firmware to get pushed and reloaded at service appointments, especially for performance uncorks or replacing parts. You’ll likely have 2018.24.1 still.

I find that the version number they print on the invoice is almost always out of date. Most likely just something they write from their memory.

Note that the last time I talked to the SC, they (employees) are still using the 'other numbering'. Perhaps that's been sorted out. In any case, they seem to now always be pushing a 'firmware load' to cut down on special phone calls requesting a firmware push, which, if you have the current version, just reloads the current version again (which is why you probably got a software update pending alert). But may have actually done nothing, since the car knows it has the same version.

There is no reason that upgrading to 2018.24 or 24.1 would have any impact on performance. I suspect this is just placebo effect in writing to make people feel good for people that aren't in the know by living at TMC. :D The current version is, btw, 2018.24.1 (I was trying to figure where 17.24 got in there... that has to be a typo; if they upgraded you to that, yeah, thanks!)

As for the lane change, you might want to reboot (hold down scroll wheels, as usual), since you did get an upgrade (maybe?). and it's always a good idea afterwards. Now that can't hurt.