Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2.28.19 Installation Nightmare [HUMOR]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone has been waiting for a new firmware update. I succumbed to the hype as well. I noticed the alert the other morning before my wife took the car and, rather than wait 'til the wee hours of the next morning, thought I would chance an install right then. No reason to worry, right? Previous updates, despite the "1:40 install time" took 20 minutes or less. I thought I would sit in the car and watch what happened and enjoy the solitude for a few minutes. I pushed the install now option. What could go wrong?

Then the fun began. The screen warned I would not be able to use it during install. Lights came on and went off; fans started, then quit; unseen things popped and whirred and whined. While all this happened the Slacker continued to play with minor interruptions. Part of the instrument cluster went dark and then another part. Finally, the entire instrument cluster went dark for what seemed an eternity. Then the dagger T appeared and things came back to life.

But my instrument cluster was replaced by an analog speedometer and watt meter; the center display had shrunk to 30% of its normal display. I tried to adjust the temperature but the controls only changed the radio to "seek station". The car was louder than I had ever heard it and it was rumbling. A vibration continued to build and then:

I woke to my wife shaking the bed and telling me to wake up; I was having a nightmare and realized that I had been dreaming I was in my Lexus hybrid.

OK. Sorry. Maybe the title was "clickbait". The title could just as easily been called "foreshadowing". (Thanks to mom and dad for sacrificing and helping put me through college with an English major; I had to put it to use! I never really used it through 40 years of flying for the US Air Force and American Airlines. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note:

Is there something else to be gleaned from this? We are apparently all anxious for the next latest-greatest tweak. I have not been around as long as some but, from perusing the forums, I realize things change at their own pace and the general trend seems to be positive. Things just keep getting better. Relax and enjoy the ride. Like all things tech, there are bound to be bugs. The DRLs that don't work today will work tomorrow; the curve that was tough for AP to take today will smooth out soon; that one little thing that you want will happen. And even if it doesn't come with this revision, or the next, it is still an amazing machine.

Someone once left a very short bio, if you will, upon his retirement from the airline. He said: "Because I flew for American Airlines, I envy no one". I can add to that: "Because I drive a Tesla, I envy no one". I suspect most of you can say something along those lines as well and because of that you are living a dream and driving a dream.

Remember: everything else is a nightmare!

2TmlwJT.gif